Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Alpkit v Apidura
  • fatmax

I’m going to be doing some bike bivvying next year and then the Capital Trail in September. I’d like to buy a saddle bag, a handlebar bag, and one for in the frame. Any feedback on either set of kit from folk that have used it? Is Apidura worth the extra expense? There don’t seem to be an awful lot of reviews out there and I haven’t picked my way through the 70-odd pages of the bikepacking thread yet.
    Much appreciated
    Fraser

trail_rat
    Free Member

i went for the alpkit initially – having worn out one cordura frame bag from another brand…. the apidura just felt a bit thin for the price *but light*

I then bought wildcat gear for the mrs as their deal worked out better at the time and ive been seriously impressed with their kit.

I’d go as far as to say i prefer the wildcat system and the little details such as the little velcro tabs on the end of the ties so you can roll them up out the way instead of just tying them together….

Still have and use both quite happily but next time i would jsut go to wildcat.

MussEd
    Free Member

Check out Bearbackbikepacking site – a few reviews of the different luggage makes on the site and always a good source of discussion within the forum…

jameso

Agree with trail rat’s comment. Apidura’s kit looks good, Alpkit’s frame bags are great vfm and I’d also take a look at Wildcat’s kit for the saddle and bar systems, best system out there ime. I’ve used a similar style seat pack to Apidura’s and it was good, arguably faster to access gear inside if you don’t use a drybag (not that advisable though), but just not as stable. The Wildcat seat pack and bar harness is so stable you forget it’s there and the way it uses replaceable dry bags is better long-term as well as in use, lets you just pop the kit off the bike and get it into a sheltered spot, a bit easier to pack securely etc. I do think their kit is very well thought-out and uses some clever design details.
    Back-up is also great and worth the higher price, I used my tiger seatpack for long enough to wear into one of the webbing straps and they simply sewed a new one on.

DavidB
    Free Member

“Bearbackbikepacking” – crivens! I think you mean bearbones.

I’ve tested both Alpkit and Apidura seatpacks and can tell you that the Apidura kit is my preference. It has a better attachment system.

But for really gnarly or super lightweight trips I’d strap on a Wildcat with a dry bag.

trail_rat
    Free Member

has anyone tried the blackburn kit ? – just to throw a spanner in the works.

it looks like good stuff – my mate had the bar roll from them out the other week when we did the first 2/3rds of CG loop….. it certainly feels more robust than the apidura kit – the dry bags are quite thick/inflexible….mounts to the bars using a rixen and kaul style bar bag QR mount.

ive only seen the saddle bag on the shelf in a shop – it did not look the most stable as its a monster AKIn to the viscasha…..but the same robust feeling dry bag material….

nedrapier

Wildcat here, and I’d do the same again. Good to have the retention system and the waterproofing separate. The retention system is what you’re paying the money for, if the apidura gets holed or worn, you’re back to using a separate inside drybag anyway.

Alpkit tapered drybag is worth getting to pack inside the tiger.

MadBillMcMad

Having just done two epic bivvy trips, me using the Alpkit front & rear, one mate using Wildcat F&R & one half’n’half here are my views.

1. Wildcat is definitelt superior
    2. the Alpkit front gear is great – no complaints at all.
    3. The rear alpkit gear is great VFM & apart from the old black buckles is fine apart from the fact that is wobbles about a bit.
    4. The rear wildcat is stuck on like glue.

Looking at ALpkits website I think they have upgraded the buckles which is a very good thing. Assuming they are better & do not break as easy then that is a great VFM solution. The Wildcat will still be superior but costs more & needs a dry bag (eg alpkit).

Frame bags – Alpkits is great but I have use the beerbabe.co.uk one with no complaints at all..

The alpkit fuel pods & stem cells are great.

FOG

Just done a 4 night trip using Alpkit luggage, a seat pack and a double ended dry bag on the bars. The dry bag was great but the seat pack was a real faff. Every morning it seemed to take longer to get the thing in place. I ended up using a bungee that happened to be in my backpack to secure it to the saddle rails which improved things. And yes of course I had tried it before but when very full the Koala is very tricky to fix especially when you are trying to pack up quickly before the weather breaks.
    I am sure I read on their website that the Koala was being improved so hopefully attachment will be one of the things they look at.

boblo
    Free Member

I have the Alpkit handlebar and seat packs. They’re pretty good for the money but both suffer from the locking buckles not locking well enough.

On the bar bag, you tie the strap ends up round the for crown so that stops them slipping. Then it doesn’t move even under extreme provocation.

For the saddle pack, there are two rubbery straps that go round the seat post and are secured via locking buckles (others use big patches of velcro). The buckles slip a bit in use and the straps under the saddle rails could do with being a bit wider for more stability.

Neither points are major just add a bit of faff as you need to adjust a bit en route.

benp1

The trick is not to take off the seat pack, but use it like a holster. I stick my bits in a dry bag inside the seat pack, and anything wet or damp (tarp, waterproofs) goes straight in.

Nothing can escape, and there’s no faff

My stuff is all Revelate Designs stuff

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

just received all my Alpkit gear yesterday, it looks up for the job but time will tell, I can see what people mean about the buckles though, the 3yr warranty has given me piece of mind over this issue though, oh and good call on not needing to take the koala off at any point, no need really Eh 🙂

MussEd
    Free Member

“Bearbackbikepacking” – crivens! I think you mean bearbones.

I’m blaming autocorrect for that…

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I started with the Alpkit stuff across the board and have been really happy with it but certain things niggled me on each of the products.
    Have changed to the wildcat bar harness and seat holster which is a far superior system. None of the main brands are 100% waterproof and the wildcat system with different size dry bags dependent on your trip need is perfect.
    I’m still using the alpkit framebags and top tube bags but it does annoy me how much water they let in. If I could find a waterproof option I’d be all over it.
    May have to look at the beer babe bags which I think are waterproof. Don’t really like the innertube look but I think at this stage its excepting the limitations your willing to.

fatmax

Folks
    Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. I’ll have a read through and perhaps need to consider other options.
    Cheers
    Fraser

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m blaming autocorrect for that…

I’d hate to see your search history 😯

+1 to above my wildcat gear is great. can’t recommend it enough.

captcaveman
    Free Member

Nice to see all the top reports for Wildcat gear
    Another bonus is its all designed and made in the UK by a couple who are really into their bikepacking and it gets properly tested in all conditions. The bespoke stuff is still handmade by Beth in Brecon. Support small uk business!

I’m just waiting to get my bikepacking bike before I commit to the full set

jmatlock
    Free Member

Shame Wilcat dont make a matching ‘fuel tank’ bag.

I love my Small Alpkit one. I have one on both my Camber and my Diverge.

johnnystorm

The Alpkit seatpack has also proven for me to be very wobbly and continually going slack in use except in Finland where it was filled with down clothing so full but light.

The Kanga is pretty secure but could easily interfere with bar mounted lights etc.

The framebag however has been very good considering the relative cost.

I see that Wildcat are now doing a frame bag with a roll top rather than zips. I’d imagine that will improve water resistance a great deal.

Based on recommendations and riding with others who didn’t need to tighten their bags every five minutes I’ve just bought some Revelate kit.

whitestone
    Free Member

Shame Wildcat dont make a matching ‘fuel tank’ bag.

I’ve seen Ian (Beth’s husband) write or post a shot of something along those lines being in the pipeline.

I’ve a mixture of Wildcat (Ocelot & Tiger) and Alpkit (fuel pod). Need to get a bar harness at some point.

MussEd
    Free Member

*sly edit – this was a reply to post further up he page it makes no sense in relation to the one above!*

Why? Are you homophobic? Each to their own I say…

sandwicheater

The wildcat tiger, for a typical sleeping bag, what sizes have people gone for?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Wonder where that Capital Trail will venture next year. Mad Markus is looking at extending the route significantly, but whether that happens next year or the year after is open for debate. He’s a wee bit busy riding round the world just now on a singlespeed – going the wrong way round too.

somafunk

I’ve sprayed all my handlebar bags/frame bags and seat packs with nikwax tent & gear solarproof water repellant – i find it helps to aid the water repellency

jameso

riding round the world just now on a singlespeed – going the wrong way round too.

? 😀

fatmax

Thanks folks. Hadn’t seen the Wildcat gear, but great feedback from you and looks as if it’s better than Alpkit and cheaper than Apidura. Bundle deals available too.
    Appreciate the responses.
    Fraser

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Nah – he’s heading westwards.

whitestone
    Free Member

@sandwicheater – I’ve the Wildcat Tiger, originally I used it with an Exped dry bag, not sure what size but somewhere in the 8-13 litre range. This was fine when the bag was full but less so when it was half full as the dry bag tended to slip out of the harness, it was also awkward to pack in a tapered manner. Probably user error. I now use an Alpkit tapered Airlock which fits much better, 13 litre size.

I can comfortably fit a PHD 200 minimus sleeping bag, a Cumulus 150 quilt, a bivvy bag and some clothing in there. I will probably get a bar harness and move the sleeping stuff to the front of the bike and use the Tiger for clothing.

OCB
    Free Member

I mix-n’-match stuff (on ‘day’ rides only tho’, so just tools/spares/food/layers).

Seatpacks:
    Small = Wildcat Tiger with 5l Alpkit Airlok Extra.
    Larger = Bikepack.pl Repack.

Bars:
    On the front I clip an Alpkit Dual on the bars, (and have just acquired a Joey, to give me a slightly firmer platform).

Anything I need to keep dry, goes in a drybag inside whichever ‘other’ bag it’s in. I also tend to augment the factory fitting options by the use of other webbing, just to improve the stability (or give me a better fit with the bike setup) – I’m not above modding stuff out directly either if it comes to it.

One of my LBS’s has Apidura in now, and it looks pretty good stuff (if a little small for winter perhaps?).

maddyutah

20% of alpkit bike luggage for 1 week only

fatmax

Folks…just ordered the Wildcat Lion bar bag, ocelot frame bag and Tiger Drover seat bag (with tapered liner) so thanks for the feedback. Out on Thursday for a bivvied in the Pentlands to try them. Ta for the advice.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Alpkit v Apidura’ is closed to new replies.