Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Aaaaawwww, bless! Poor little poppets…
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

“A vicar has apologised for telling children at a school assembly that Father Christmas does not exist.

Some of the children, aged between 5 and 11,were in tears after the Rev Simon Tatton-Brown, 65, spoke at Charter Primary School in Chippenham, and parents have threatened to boycott Christmas services at his church.

Linzi Merritt, whose son Levi 9, was at the assembly, said: “We wouldn’t just walk into the church during one of his services and tell everyone Jesus isn’t real. Loads of kids went home crying – it has ruined Christmas for them.

“A lot of them are now questioning the existence of the tooth fairy as well. Who knows what else he has told them? He may even have been talking about Satan as well!”

peterfile
    Free Member

My primary 4 teacher told all of us that Santa wasn’t real.

I had sort of worked it out anyway, but the teacher ended up in hot water.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The irony of you using the word ‘bless’ in the title is the icing on the cake of yet another dreary anti-religion thread. Don’t you ever get bored?

globalti
    Free Member

I believed in Santa until on Christmas when he came into our bedroom and my sister suddenly yelled out: “He’s wearing Daddy’s slippers!”

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Never mind, “Captain”. At least your contribution cheered it up, eh? 😆 😛

project
    Free Member

Strange how parents indoctrinate their kids with lies and tales about a man dressed in a red suit, wellies and bad breath who will bring them presnts if they sit on his knee, let him kiss the girls, on one day in december, yet for the rest of the year warn their same kids about talking,acepting gifts or even making eye contact with another adult male.

a very weird world some parents live in.

Harry_the_Spider

What an utter git.

My kids love Christmas as a magical winter festival. To have somebody come and ruin it for them would be terrible.

Once they are older they can make up their own mind the Christian aspect to it. But until then they should be allowed to be kids.

DezB
    Free Member

That was posted on my marvelously underappreciated thread yesterday 😡

johndoh
    Free Member

if they sit on his knee, let him kiss the girls

But they don’t and he doesn’t. It is the 1970s anymore, you do know that don’t you?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

DezB – Member

That was posted on my marvelously underappreciated thread yesterday

Sorry Dez. Did the “Captain” tell YOU off as well? 🙄

DezB
    Free Member

Oh no, I didn’t post the story, someone else did. I just linked to some fine pictures. Like this

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Is that Jimmy Page?

DezB
    Free Member

It’s funny though – I never told my son he doesn’t exist. He worked it out for himself. And now ruins it for all his mates!

kayak23

A vicar has apologised for telling children at a school assembly that Father Christmas does not exist.

fasthaggis

“A vicar has apologised for telling children at a school assembly that Father Christmas does not exist.

Was it on a video that no one was watching ?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

No – it was in a newspaper that no one was reading.

Until now.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Love it, vicar tells kids not to believe in magical friendly old men with beards.

Maybe he should practice what he preaches.

Northwind

“We wouldn’t just walk into the church during one of his services and tell everyone Jesus isn’t real.”

That’s just genius.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yes, isn’t it!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Don’t you ever get bored?

He never bores of attention, he revels in it, as this thread will show

eskay

Yet he is naive enough to believe in god!

yunki
    Free Member

I think that in a way to many of us, Woppit is like a 21st century Jesus

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

Don’t you ever get bored?

He never bores of attention, he revels in it, as this thread will show

Well I certainly find it easy to get yours, eh? What are you, some sort of fish?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Wait til you see my levitation act. Follow me (over a cliff)…

DezB
    Free Member

Was this about “getting attention”? I thought it was ‘Here’s a funny story’… but I am a thick idiot.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

wrecker
    Free Member

but I am a thick idiot.

I feel your pain brother.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure I want to actively persuade my kids that something really definitely exists when it we know it does not.

Kids can still enjoy the make believe without having to really believe it, can’t they? My daughter doesn’t really believe her toys talk to her for example.

nicko74

Was this about “getting attention”? I thought it was ‘Here’s a funny story’
    Well quite. You lot *really* need to chill out…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well I certainly find it easy to get yours, eh?

I thought I replied to someone other than you but hey you claim its attention to you – if that does not counter my attention seeking claim then really what will 😉

TBH denying it would be like me denying I like arguing …shall we indulge each others weakness then ? 😛

theotherjonv

I’m not sure I want to actively persuade my kids that something really definitely exists when it we know it does not

But ‘he’ does exist. Maybe not in the specific guise of a single, tangible being that rides a flying sleigh and can cover millions of miles in a single night, and then do SFA for the rest of the year (he even employs elves to keep watch now, FFS). But as a feeling, a spirit of Christmas if you like, then he absolutely does exist. I’m not Father Christmas, but I am a little part of him when I fill my girls stockings on christmas eve and leave teethmarks in the mince pie. Just as my Dad was, and his Dad before him.

When my girls are old enough they too can be let in on the secret and also become part of being Father Christmas. Just because you can’t see it or touch it doesn’t mean it’s not real – otherwise that means hope, friendship, love…… aren’t real either?

And yes, you can easily rewrite the above replacing it with religion too. If that’s what people need to believe in to live a fulfilled life, I’ve no issue with that either.

Thankfully, the man in the red suit hasn’t instructed us that people who don’t believe in him are stupid or wrong, or to be killed for not believing. Just don’t be surprised if one day you don’t get any presents, you old curmudgeons.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Santa. Jesus. It’s all the same.

My parents would put out a potato for the reindeer and a sherry for santa each year. In the morning the potato would have bite marks in it and the sherry would be gone. Santa? No, my parents.

Same with Jesus. Feeding of the 5,000 – that wasn’t Jesus, it was Mary and Joseph cashing in club card vouchers to make the grub go further.

Parents will do anything to make us believe……

johndoh
    Free Member

theotherjonv – I like your sentiment. It made me feel good inside – we need more people like you around.

For me, I am loving the playfulness of having my kids excited about Christmas – we have an ‘Elf on the Shelf’ that they rush downstairs to find each morning and they are singing beautiful Carols all the time at the moment.

McHamish
    Free Member

And yes, you can easily rewrite the above replacing it with religion too. If that’s what people need to believe in to live a fulfilled life, I’ve no issue with that either.

Does Jebus like mince pies too?

In our house Santa liked a can of Best Bitter. Fortunately Dad liked that too, so we usually had plenty.

Rich
    Free Member

theotherjonv – I like your sentiment. It made me feel good inside – we need more people like you around.

Agreed.
    🙂

psling
    Free Member

theotherjonv – amen to that 8)

molgrips
    Free Member

But as a feeling, a spirit of Christmas if you like

Spirit of Chrismtas = Father Christmas
    Man who comes down chimeny = Santa

But as I say, kids are generally smart enough to understand and enjoy the former without needing concrete belief in the latter.

Especially as chimneys are far too small to admit a fat bloke. And we don’t even have one. And why does his handwriting look just like my mum’s?

Drac

Santa has a magic key for those that don’t have a chimney.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Well, seeing as (a) I’ve got bigger things to worry about than the over inflated opinions of a bitter twisted individual who uses any excuse he can to pour scorn on anyone who doesn’t agree on his world view, (b) I don’t spend as much time on here as I used to, and (c) I could do with the inevitable enforced rest, I’d just like to use this opportunity to say woppit, you’re a ****. Happy Christmas!

camo16
    Free Member

My son still believes in Santa and loves the magic of Christmas.

I haven’t destroyed that happiness by telling him Santa’s not the real deal.

So am I not a poppet, Woppit?

This thread is what 😯 and 🙄 were invented for.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Aaaaawwww, bless! Poor little poppets…’ is closed to new replies.