Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Aaaaawwww, bless! Poor little poppets…
  • theotherjonv

I can’t take the credit, I’m paraphrasing something my wife read me on the subject of when the time comes to tell our eldest that Santa isn’t ‘real’. When she’s old enough to understand that we’re all Santa, and hopefully before some miseryf**k gets there first.

yossarian
    Free Member

All zealots are boring

Do you have any children Mr Woppit?

FeeFoo
    Free Member

theotherjonv is spot on. Beautifully put.

molgrips
    Free Member

Santa has a magic key for those that don’t have a chimney.

Seems improbable. Sceptical toddler is sceptical.

khani
    Free Member

theotherjonv, paraphrasing or not, well said.

dabble
    Free Member

Hear hear.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think what I find most disconcerting about this thread is Mr Poppits obvious delight in children’s unhappiness.

What a tosser.

Scamper
    Free Member

Take it the OP doesn’t have kids?

DezB
    Free Member

I think what I find most disconcerting about this thread is Mr Poppits obvious delight in children’s unhappiness.

What a tosser.

Again, was that really his motivation for posting the story?? It was all over the front of the shitty tabloids this morning, was that their motivation too?
    WTF has not having kids got to do with it? I’ve got a kid and thought it was bloody funny. Unlike some posters on here.

Scamper
    Free Member

Thing is though Dez, it wasn’t your kids geting upset was it?

johndoh
    Free Member

Especially as chimneys are far too small to admit a fat bloke. And we don’t even have one. And why does his handwriting look just like my mum’s?

Ahh, but Santa is an elf. A fat elf but an elf all the same. So chimneys pose no problem to him, thank *g*od

DezB
    Free Member

Thing is though Dez, it wasn’t your kids geting upset was it?

Ah,I get it. So you’re blaming Woppit for posting this thread – kids will read it and find out the truth. Either that or it was your kids we’re laughing at. Oh don’t fickin know. Told you I was thick.

timidwheeler

Thanks OP. You’ve ruined Christmas for me.
    You could have put *spoiler* in the thread title.
    Is it confirmed then? There definitely is no Santa?
    😥

molgrips
    Free Member

So chimneys pose no problem to him, thank *g*od

Why doesn’t he leave it in a wheelie bin or in the back garden like the Yodel man? Would be a lot faster.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Again, was that really his motivation for posting the story?? It was all over the front of the shitty tabloids this morning, was that their motivation too?
    WTF has not having kids got to do with it? I’ve got a kid and thought it was bloody funny. Unlike some posters on here.

Well, the fact that he posted about a dozen smileys right at the start would suggest to me that he finds the kids unhappiness amusing??

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Jonv – that was the best evocation of the meaning of Christmas ive ever read.
    may i borrow that please?

theotherjonv

Of course, but like I said, I ‘nicked’ it from something my wife read to me. So to be fair, here’s the link to that piece which while the sentiment is spot on, is overall imho a bit cloying and american, so feel free to paraphrase your own version too.

http://www.cozi.com/live-simply/truth-about-santa

passtherizla
    Free Member

yes. well paraphrased then Jonv.

As for Mr Woppit, I to missed the fact that he was trying to ruin christmas for all the children.

crankboy
    Free Member

A funny story that I had seen elsewhere first. Not sure why the op is getting such a critical response. It is possible to care very much about children and still find humor in the things that upset them . Particularly in the inherent irony of this story. I see irony both in the way the representative of one belief system that hijacked the winter festival for its own ends accidentally blows the gaff on another childish belief system, and in the way parents have overreacted and jumped on the outrage bus.

stumpyjon

The Woppit bashing is a bit ironic really, people not liking someone’s view that doesn’t tally with their own tenuous grasp on reality having a go……religious tolerance, bit of an oxymoron really.

Some of the other sentiments expressed e.g. jonv are much more insightful, thank you.

In the meantime treating religions as somehow special and deserving of special treatment moved a step closer to being a thing of the past in this country with the ridiculous row in Bradford between Muslims and Sikhs as to whose dietary quirks are more important and many mainstream religionists getting upset because the church of scientology is now officially a religion and will qualify for tax breaks and everyone knows that is a made up religion 🙄 Fine line to walk there.

Anyho happy wintervall.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can we just clear something up? Knowing Santa is make believe does not in any way ruin Christmas for kids.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

just like to use this opportunity to say woppit, you’re a ****.

Thanks, barns. You could just forgive me, though eh?

Happy Solstice.

theotherjonv

Can we just clear something up? Knowing Santa is make believe does not in any way ruin Christmas for kids.

True, but allowing the younger ones to believe until they’re old enough to understand who ‘he’ really is, instead of having their belief and wide-eyed joy in the myth of Santa smashed in front of them – is that so harmful? Is that the world we want for our kids, because if so I’m even more depressed.

It doesn’t take much to push all the money and commerce aside and enjoy all that Christmas really means. If you have kids of the right age, just pause and look and listen to them at this time. They’ll give you the answer about what Christmas is about. Those without, or who don’t want to play along, don’t ruin it for those of us that do.

Coyote
    Free Member

Well, seeing as (a) I’ve got bigger things to worry about than the over inflated opinions of a bitter twisted individual who uses any excuse he can to pour scorn on anyone who doesn’t agree on his world view, (b) I don’t spend as much time on here as I used to, and (c) I could do with the inevitable enforced rest, I’d just like to use this opportunity to say woppit, you’re a ****. Happy Christmas!

Agreed. Woppit you really are a miserable ****.

bob_summers

My lad will grow up with the local incarnation of Father Christmas, Olentzero, and will probably be glad to find out he’s not real as he’s not quite as cuddly as the Coca Cola version.

in Berastegi if the children did not want to go to bed, a sickle would be thrown down the chimney and the children told that Olentzero would come to cut their throats if they didn’t go to bed.

in Larraun he was called Ononzaro and said to have three eyes and usually depicted as a drunkard dressed like a scarecrow.

roper
    Free Member

Can we just clear something up? Knowing Santa is make believe does not in any way ruin Christmas for kids

I’m not sure about this. I come from the ” some children grow up too quickly, school”.
    My son is convinced mermaids exist. I could prove otherwise but have left him to work it out for himself at his own time. I love childrens imagination and think they should be left to enjoy it as much as they like. I think it can be a helpful skill towards lateral thinking and creativity in adulthood too.

yunki
    Free Member

Knowing Santa isn’t real may not ruin Christmas, but may create an adult who is the metaphoric equivalent of a physics text book as apposed to a classic novel..

AD

Regardless of Mr W’s motives, it is the irony of a vicar commenting on the non-existence of Santa that makes me smile…

The attitude of some of the religionists is quite telling though – probably best not to feed the troll 🙂

Anyway I’m off to the village Christmas Fayre where curiously both Santa and little baby Jesus seem to be co-‘existing’ happily…

crankboy
    Free Member

Children do not believe everything adults say and enjoy a world where fantasy and reality coexist . Lots of their stories and games include things that adults cannot see and do not believe in . Having some older kid or vicar tell them Santa does not exist is not going to ruin things they have the proof of his existence every year. I can recall from as soon as I was old enough to play out and talk kids virtually tripping over themselves to break the news. I still had a belief especially since I never got a present off my eldest brother but always got one with a signed tag from Santa.

yossarian
    Free Member

Agreed. Woppit you really are a miserable ****.

I’m not sure he’s miserable actually. Spiteful perhaps. Unable to empathise with others maybe. Desperate for attention and self amused definitely. The thread title is deliberately provocative but as usual there’s nothing surprising, original or thought provoking from the OP, simply an egocentric digest on the same old dogma. As I mentioned earlier, all zealots are boring and on the subject of religion, unfortunately, Mr Woppit is no exception.

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is going to be gutted we are all discussing him

You made christmas for him and he is rejoicing 😉

yunki
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

I love childrens imagination and think they should be left to enjoy it as much as they like

Hang on. If you ate presenting Santa as fact then it’s nothing to do with imagination is it? It’s not make believe any more.

I love fantastic stories and so do my kids, but we don’t have to think they are real. Would be a little weird if we did tbh.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Wow. And I’M the bad guy?

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t believe in Mr Woppot

molgrips
    Free Member

It doesn’t take much to push all the money and commerce aside and enjoy all that Christmas really means. If you have kids of the right age, just pause and look and listen to them at this time. They’ll give you the answer about what Christmas is about

Hang on a minute. Kids love Santa because they get presents from him. So how can you appreciate Santa without thinking about gifts?

That’s not to say that the gift giving is bad or materialistic though. It needn’t be if you do it right.

Anyway crankboy has it right. Fantasy and reality are pretty blurred for kids. Who cares if Santa’s real or not? That is how the game is played in our house. It’s done with a wink and a smile not with actual deceit.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah – so you don’t actually tell them that Santa brings them presents, and get them to write letters to him then? Or is that not deceit?

molgrips
    Free Member

I told them Santa brings gifts, yes, but I won’t be going to great lengths to maintain it as fact like some people seem to, and I think she already knows it’s a game. I don’t want her to be crushed if someone tells her it’s not real.

konabunny
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Wow. And I’M the bad guy?
    POSTED 5 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

You. Ruined. Christmas.

yossarian
    Free Member

Fame at last

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Aaaaawwww, bless! Poor little poppets…’ is closed to new replies.