Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 185 total)
  • You value my privacy – every 10 minutes!
  • naffa
    Free Member

Happening here too on the laptop with chrome, really annoying.

darkplunger
    Free Member

I’m on a Galaxy S9, with Android. Doesn’t matter if I’m logged on or out. I get the pop-up with every page change. It’s extremely frustrating. Only happens on this site. I did raise a similar thread several weeks ago about this. Nothing has improved, in the interim.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m not sure about which is more annoying – the constant privacy reminders or the fact that I cannot make adverts featuring Jim Davidson go away.

On balance, I’ll happily click an acknowledgement about my internet privacy every five minutes from now on if that’ll help?

nickjb
    Free Member

Still happening for me too.

Matt-P
    Free Member

And me. Every page change. Desktop version of Chrome for me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Cougar, you keep saying it’s everyone else doing something different and not you. Have you considered that STW may actually not value your privacy?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’ve started to get this now too, started today and I’ve just had it pop up about 5 times in 5 mins!? Please rewind to about 5 years ago when there was no ads (maybe there was but not as intrusive as now) no pages and threads jumping around all over the place and everything was just a lot more fun and interesting. Grrrrrr

tjagain

Today on my mobile I got this Logged me straight out then the w value your privacy popup. Sony android and chrome

It never happens like this on other sites.

hopeforthebest
    Free Member

Android and chrome on my phone. Only here…

tjagain

Logged out. Five popups in five minutes

Managed to log in. Six popups in five minutes despite being logged in

Its a definite flaw on the website

gordimhor

Happens to me as well puts me off using the site

wwpaddler
    Free Member

If I’m not getting this does that mean that STW doesn’t value my privacy? Why does it value everyone else’s? I feel left out.

cchris2lou

Happening to me too.

andytherocketeer

I’m feeling left out too. Honestly cannot remember the last time it valued my privacy on the desktop (Chromium/Linux), the work PC (Chrome/Win10), although I did get one on the phone the other day (Brave browser/Android). All fully updated, both browsers and OS.
    All 3 whether logged in or logged out.

If you get the pop up, your client must have not stored the stw_privacy_policy cookie, or it expired, or your browser is not saving cookies, or is deleting all on exit, or…

I delete all cookies on browser exit, except those few sites I whitelist (stw is one of them).

It’s a definite flaw on the browser. Apologies for victim blaming.

mildbore

I’ve started getting this today, every few minutes. Pages jump around all the time too, that’s been happening for ages

scubashark
    Free Member

Been getting this on both iPhone using safari and Samsung tablet using the Samsung internet app. Have just turned cookies off on the tablet and the privacy pop up thing has stopped. Maybe give that a go

johnners
    Free Member

Have just turned cookies off on the tablet and the privacy pop up thing has stopped.

That’s very odd. Using Oreo/Chrome I get the pop-up on every page change unless I allow 3rd party cookies. The pop- has Streamamp branding so it looks to me like it’s because STW’s delegating user privacy agreement to their ad supplier, hence compliance being tracked by a 3rd party cookie.

Stoner
    Free Member

delegating user privacy agreement to their ad supplier

also why I don’t get a problem on the desktop browser where an ad blocker keeps things working. On the phone using native chrome obviously no ad blocking function, so cant use this site on the mobile any more. Not least because the page load jump-about, whack-a-mole link “feature” must do great things for page impressions (yay, ads!) as users end up on 3 or 4 pages by accident before arriving at the thread they actually DO want to read.

pondo

How come I didn’t used to get it, and now I get it, and I only get it on this site?

tjagain

Andy
    Loads of us get this on this site and no others. It’s got to be site specific

nealglover
    Free Member

I have never changed my browser settings

They are standard, out of the box settings, and they work with no issues on every other site I visit.

If my settings need changing to be able to use this site, it’s because this site is doing something wrong.

Browser settings my arse 😂 👍

johnners
    Free Member

If my settings need changing to be able to use this site, it’s because this site is doing something wrong.

As above, if pushing the button on the pop-up set a site cookie (like on almost every other site I use) there’d be no problem. Because it appears to try to set a 3rd party cookie is where the problem arises, because a lot of people have their browser accept cookies from the site they’re visiting but don’t want them set by any old 3rd party.

Cougar

The pop- has Streamamp branding so it looks to me like it’s because STW’s delegating user privacy agreement to their ad supplier, hence compliance being tracked by a 3rd party cookie.

Streamamp is the GDPR plugin, yes.

andytherocketeer

loads of us don’t get this. It’s got to be client specific.

If it’s any help, I have, in all browsers, on all machines…
    cookies accepted
    3rd party cookies not accepted
    all cookies deleted on browser exit (except STW, which is whitelisted)
    pop-ups blocked as standard (except for one other site which is whitelisted)
    chrome seems to also have a thing labeled “Ads blocked on sites that show intrusive or misleading ads” – that is disabled (must be a new setting, I’ll probably enable it)
    edit: oh and Do Not Track is enabled (but I think that does practically eff all)

I have not changed my browser settings for months. I got a single one-off pop-up the other day, clicked OK, and none since.
    All browsers keep updating themselves in the background usually, which may have triggered that one-off? no idea. Clearly when they do update there are new privacy features which get a default setting.

We’re all using the same site. We see different behaviour. Do you think that the site serves a different code based on user (logged in or out), ignoring the cookies consistently for some and respecting them consistently for others, and for others again respecting them then one day changing its mind, just for a laugh?

Cougar

Because it appears to try to set a 3rd party cookie is where the problem arises, because a lot of people have their browser accept cookies from the site they’re visiting but don’t want them set by any old 3rd party.

Seems plausible.

If anyone has time during the week to hold a remote session with me (and isn’t using Safari), I’d be happy to try and narrow down what’s happening.

As with the logout complaints, which is surely a similar issue, STW hasn’t been able to replicate the problem (and nor have I) and until that changes it’ll probably never be fixed.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Opera Beta Browser solved it for me! Also stops annoying ads…

johnners
    Free Member

If it’s any help, I have, in all browsers, on all machines…
    cookies accepted
    3rd party cookies not accepted

I’m afraid that doesn’t help me any. Block 3rd party cookie, pop-ups ahoy. Allow 3rd party cookies, no pop ups. It’s the only change I made, so pretty compelling I thought.
    Then I set Chrome to refuse ALL cookies, expecting pop-up hell. But no, none at all. So now I’m back to WTF. All on (almost) stock Oreo and boggo Chrome.

tjagain

I neve used to get this. Now I do on my mobile. Stock settings and unchanged
    I don’t get it on my desktop which has cookies blocked. My mobile allows cookies

If s site does not work with standard browsers it’s an issue with the site

pondo

As with the logout complaints, which is surely a similar issue, STW hasn’t been able to replicate the problem (and nor have I) and until that changes it’ll probably never be fixed.

Is disappoint.

Cougar

If s site does not work with standard browsers it’s an issue with the site

I take your point, but if you’d spent more than eight seconds in webdev you’d know there’s no such thing as a “standard browser.”

bruneep

Oh well then that’s that problem gone away then

Cougar

Is disappoint.

What would you suggest instead? Seriously, if you’ve any pearls of wisdom I’m all ears, cos I’m out of ideas.

Back before the upgrade I once spent days trying to break my browser to a point where I could replicate the “logging out” issue of the day and I couldn’t manage it. There is something different between what I’m doing and what those affected are doing – there has to be or we’d all be affected – and I have no idea what that is.

That could be something to do with the browser, settings, plugins, the way you interact with the site, how often you log in / out, how often you restart the device, internet “security” / AV software interfering, a host of other variables. It could be some combination of all of those things, and it could be different causes for different users.

And yes, you can argue that doesn’t happen anywhere else, which may or may not be true, but the bottom line is that there’s some sort of compatibility issue going on somewhere between the site and some users’ configurations / workflows.

nealglover
    Free Member

What would you suggest instead? Seriously, if you’ve any pearls of wisdom I’m all ears, cos I’m out of ideas.

Maybe if the owners/paid staff sorted it, rather than leaving it to unpaid volunteers it may be better for everyone (you mainly!)

(I am sure they haven’t actually “left it to you” but you seem to be putting more time into sorting it than you should be, and by that I mean “more than none at all”)

but the bottom line is that there’s some sort of compatibility issue going on somewhere between the site and some users’ configurations / workflows.

I have no doubt this is the case, but if this site can’t cope with straight out of the box Apple iPhone, there is something VERY wrong with the setup of the site.

martinhutch

I have no doubt this is the case, but if this site can’t cope with straight out of the box Apple iPhone completely fresh install of Chrome on a fresh install of W10, there is something VERY wrong with the setup of the site.

It may be that there are client-side variations in how and how often this manifests itself, but there is no other ad-riddled website I regularly visit where these kinds of hijacks and pop-ups are an issue.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When the two most active threads on a forum are complaining about the forum…

sarawak
    Free Member

Same problem here. If I’m on phone or tablet or PC the problem still arises. All three are on different browsers.
    The only common denominator is STW. I know that isn’t a popular answer to the powers that be. I visit a few different forums for a few different topics and the only one I have trouble with is STW.
    Too many indicators that this forum set-up is wrong, but I’m only one of the masses so I’m bound to be wrong.

“They” are always right because “They” hold the power.

Drac

I have no doubt this is the case, but if this site can’t cope with straight out of the box Apple iPhone, there is something VERY wrong with the setup of the site.

Which is well weird as having tested it on various apple devices myself I can’t replicate it either.

When the two most active threads on a forum are complaining about the forum…

You can gaurantee the same vultures will be swarming.

onehundredthidiot

Ok so I turned off cookies came back to site and not a single WVYP pop up. But couldn’t log in without cookies enabled. Turned them back on and my privacy is again of value.

andytherocketeer

messing about in a different browser… Firefox for Linux (version 63.0.3-1 apparently), which has in-built tracker blocking features enabled by default…
    – accept cookies
    – block 3rd party cookies for trackers
    – send Do Not Track always
    – block all detected trackers always (with the disconnect.me basic block list selected)
    everything works exactly as one would expect… you get the pop up once, click ok, surf to your heart’s content with no more “we value your privacy” (at least until the expiry date of Jan 2020).

delete 1 cookie from consensu.org and you get the pop up once, click ok, surf to your heart’s content with no more “we value your privacy”.

delete that cookie again, block all 3rd party cookies (not just those for trackers), then you get in to the endless loop of “we value your privacy”.

so that suggests to me that it is client side setting stopping it from saving the cookie that remembers your consent.

however… ublock origin is even better at making things that interrupt surfing on all sites “go away” 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

Hmm,

Using Google Chrome on Mac (I’m one version behind tip for Chrome) and I’ve got “Block third-party cookies” enabled. I’ve had the Privacy popup just once, about a fortnight after everyone began complaining about it, set the settings as I wanted, clicked save and that was it.

It’s quite possible that Chrome and Firefox implement the “Block third-party cookies” behaviour differently but I don’t remember seeing the Privacy popup on Firefox but I only use it occasionally for this site to check things.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘You value my privacy – every 10 minutes!’ is closed to new replies.