Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 185 total)
  • You value my privacy – every 10 minutes!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

vultures will be swarming.

Vultures swarm over an animal that’s about to die, or a decaying carcass. Interesting analogy there.

ransos
    Free Member

You can gaurantee the same vultures will be swarming.

We’d all be forgiven for thinking that no-one is alive at STW.

nealglover
    Free Member

Which is well weird as having tested it on various apple devices myself I can’t replicate it either.

So I must be imagining it then.

You can gaurantee the same vultures will be swarming.

Really?

Ffs I was trying to support cougar suggesting he shouldn’t be spending his own unpaid time trying to fix an issue that isn’t his problem.

But, whatever.

crazy-legs

Could be worse, it could be road.cc which pops up privacy value notices every single time and then crashes while you try to log in and then invariably fails to remember any preferences set last time. It has a massively annoying feature where it tells you all of the 12 million or so agencies / companies that are scraping your data and allows you to individually turn them on or off.

Just have a “reject all” button, remember that and sod off! Their site is still slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through treacle. STW is a breath of fresh air and user-friendliness in comparison!

Drac

So I must be imagining it then.

No.

Really?

Ffs I was trying to support cougar suggesting he shouldn’t be spending his own unpaid time trying to fix an issue that isn’t his problem.

Which is very nice of you and I am sure you didn’t recognise your words I was quoting.

bearnecessities

CaptainFlashheart

vultures will be swarming.

Vultures swarm over an animal that’s about to die, or a decaying carcass. Interesting analogy there.

I really don’t understand this – especially from someone that has the highest page impression count apparently. Why try and promote the ‘death of the forum’ agenda? Genuinely, why, for what purpose?

I’m still pissed at the loss of ‘your activity’ page and any indication as to whether it’s coming back or not, just to be clear – but the joy that some people take in publicly predicting, and therefore in some way promoting, the demise of a business is pathetic.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bear, far from promoting it. Just a shame to see so much dissatisfaction, really. The attitude of the mods and others hardly helps, either.

nealglover
    Free Member

Which is very nice of you and I am sure you didn’t recognise your words I was quoting.

You quote two people in the same post, and then talk about vultures swarming.

If you didn’t intend it to look like you we’re talking about both of them, then you need to work on your delivery a bit.
    (Rather than offer a sarcastic reply as usual)

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

^^^ Moribundtrackworld?

chvck
    Free Member

I have no idea if this is of any use as it’s probably obvious to the techs but I’ll stick it here just in case it helps. I just logged out, disabled adblock and got the privacy agreement every refresh (despite clicking continue). I use privacy badger and have the steamamp domain blocked, upon allowing cookies from there and accepting the privacy agreement it stopped popping up. Could just be an issue with steamamp failing to set cookies correctly?

Drac

Cheers chvk that will no doubt be helpful.

tjagain

To add to this. ON myt desktop I usually run adblock as its on by default for allsites adn I also disallow all 3rd party cookies

Tonight I have so far turned the adblocker off and immediately started getting the “we value” pop up 3 times on 3 refreshes but st with 3rd party cookies not allowed. I’#ll tinker about with more settings to see whatelse changes it and report back.

win 7, firefox, adblockplus

tjagain

Allowing 3rd party cookies but not trackers did nothing – stillwith the pop up every refresh

Allowing tracking cookies stops the pop up

Drac

Cheers TJ it’s info like that from users that is helpful.

tjagain

looks like the cookie might be something called consensu.org – I only know enough IT to know that I really don’t have much clue tho 😉

I think tried with all cookies enabled – got the pop up once, clicked it it went away for a few pages browsed. Went back to blocking all 3rd party cookies. Pop up reappeared even tho I did not delete anything

So for me I either have to have the computer open to third party cookies including trackers which I really don’t want to do or run adblock which STW really don’t want me to do. Running with tracking cookies blocked ( even if I have let it set itself ( does that show my ignorance of the magic of IT? )) just makes the site unusable even on my desktop without using adblocker

pondo

What would you suggest instead? Seriously, if you’ve any pearls of wisdom I’m all ears, cos I’m out of ideas.

I’ve no idea, as I’m sure you suspect – what I CAN suggest is that saying it can’t be replicated therefore probably won’t be fixed is a disappointing response. I add that I totally understand that it’s not your problem to resolve, and I’m hugely appreciative of the hours you’ve already put into it, but as a user of this site, on one day it worked fine, the next day there’s a massively persistent and intrusive popup. At the risk of sounding repetitive, I haven’t changed a thing, and I don’t get this issue on any other site, it’s been reported many times over a lengthy period of time, and whilst I appreciate it’s hard to fix a problem when you can’t see what’s causing it, some measure of acknowledgement and (dare I say it) contrition from the site owners (not the mods, that ain’t your job) wouldn’t, you know, be a bad thing.

scruff
    Free Member

Im now getting it every page. Android phone. Im off to look at another website which doesn’t do this.

nickjb
    Free Member

I switched browsers to opera to stop it. I appreciate this is a problem with the site and it really should work with chrome on Android but the reality is that it doesn’t and nothing will get fixed anytime soon so best to take your own preventative measures for now. It’s works much better on opera than on chrome for me

pondo

Without wishing to be over cynical, it’s either your fault or can’t be replicated at STW Towers and therefore can never be fixed, so you’ll just have to suck it up, buttercups.

leffeboy

Edge on Android here with no real problems now although the P might help.  At the moment browser issues are just part of internet life.  Our web site (non profit) can’t take donations if you use Edge on desktop and it’s proving a bugger to track down.  For a long time the internet banking software from our bank only worked properly on IE

Longs for the days when it was all just html

regenesis
    Free Member

Happening again on standard Chrome on Mac.
    Also logging me out every time I resume from standby.

andytherocketeer

I’m using the Brave browser on Android and it is Not doing it. Logged in or out is exactly the same, no issues.
    I use that browser because of its privacy etc features.

It’ll be because your browser is not saving the cookies mentioned above.

Sent from Android with 0 pop ups.

leffeboy

I use that browser because of its privacy etc features.

As far as I understand what that browser does is just strip out everyone else’s ads and tracking and replace it with their own ads and tracking.  I’m not sure if I’m any more comfortable with that

benjamins11
    Free Member

Happening for me on every page I load, chrome on Android and chrome on my windows 10 laptop. I struggle to believe the owners can’t replicate it, sounds like the just can’t be arsed tbh given how widespread it appears to be. Makes the site a total pain to use.

sbob
    Free Member

I struggle to believe the owners can’t replicate it

Maybe they’re all sat around sharing Fun Sponge’s ipad.

Drac
    sbob
    Free Member

What site out of interest? You’ve just linked back to STW.

Drac

Have you read the thread(

johnners
    Free Member

Seems it can be replicated on has been spotted once on one other sites.

nickjb
    Free Member

Have you read the thread(

Yes. You open the page the first time and there is a privacy notice. Click on it and it goes away. Forever. That’s how it’s supposed to work. That’s really not what we are talking about here but thank you for playing.

Drac

Didn’t for me.

timidwheeler

My thread was merged in with this one so I will restate my issue here..
    Every 10 minutes would be a massive improvement. I get the message at least every single click, sometimes more than once. I have really cut back on my use of this site because it is so tedious and so frustrating to use. I don’t consider Android and chrome with all normal settings to be a difficult or unusual combination.

pondo

It’ll be because your browser is not saving the cookies mentioned above.

So I should have this issue on every GDPR compliant site I visit, right? And I should have been having it since I had this phone?

Cougar

I don’t consider Android and chrome with all normal settings to be a difficult or unusual combination.

And yet, I use the same thing and it doesn’t do it.

What’s different between me and you? If we could ascertain that then we might be able to resolve it.

andytherocketeer

OK, standard Chrome, Android, on OnePlus 3t latest everything.
    Get we value your privacy only once if 3rd party cookies allowed. Pop-ups set to blocked. Ads set to blocked in the built-in settings, not a freeloader plugin.
    Does exactly what I expect. Although using a 3rd party to handle the cookies for gdpr nonsense isn’t really helpful.

Cougar

Speculating, but the fact that it’s a 3rd party cookie may well be the issue yes.

The GDPR plugin sets a cookie to record your preferences. If you’re blocking that cookie then it’s not going to work and that’s not a fault of STW, it’s a client-side issue. If you aren’t doing so and still having problems then that merits further investigation.

andytherocketeer

well one can argue the issue is ultimately the stupid cookie law which was then later amended by the gdpr thing, both of which in the fake pretence of “privacy” effectively coerce people in to setting the browser to always accept everything. politicians couldn’t understand anything technical even if spelled out in preschool level lower case letters with pictures.

so yes, I click daily on the bbc cookie message for example, because I set up my browsers to ditch practically every thing that can track, and whitelist a few specific sites (to preserve login etc.). And generally block all 3rd party cookies. i could be persuaded to whitelist the consensu one. so long as they don’t track me across sites.in general, 3rd parties can do one.

my work PC is even stricter. everything gets binned on exit except whitelisted work domains.

Cougar

well one can argue the issue is ultimately the stupid cookie law which was then later amended by the gdpr thing

You won’t hear any arguments here. Both of those things are daft* and serve little more than to piss people off. I’m actually quite surprised that the bendy banana leave lot haven’t latched on to it.

(* GDPR is a good thing. The implementation on the web, not so much.)

Cougar

politicians couldn’t understand anything technical even if spelled out in preschool level lower case letters with pictures.

Well quite. It’s not so long ago that an MP argued in the house about IP (intellectual property) addresses.

There are very few technologically aware MPs AFAIK. Tom Watson is about the only one that jumps to mind.

pondo

If I go settings then privacy, the Accept Cookies slidey thing is set to accept, I don’t know if there’s anywhere else I can check. And if it’s client-side, I don’t understand why I don’t get the same issue on other sites I go to.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘You value my privacy – every 10 minutes!’ is closed to new replies.