Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 185 total)
  • You value my privacy – every 10 minutes!
  • onehundredthidiot

So I’ve just turned on “accept third party cookies” and no pop up

BUT I don’t really want to have to do that. This site is great but the pop-up issue is purely here.

Not that I’m sure what it actually does or means.

Drac

And if it’s client-side, I don’t understand why I don’t get the same issue on other sites I go to.

I don’t get it here but do on sites such as imgur and the Newcastle Chronicle, which I often win an android phone on too.

ajaj
    Free Member

“The GDPR plugin sets a cookie to record your preferences. If you’re blocking that cookie then it’s not going to work and that’s not a fault of STW”

Yes it is STW’s fault. If you need to explicitly set a cookie to record preference and that preference is “no cookies” then your site is broken.

I guess, since the powers that be seem.unwilling to engage with the issue, the only real way to resolve this will be a complaint to the ICO or prosecution of STW’s owners. I’ll set the wheels in motion.

whitestone
    Free Member

effectively coerce lazy/stupid people in to setting the browser to always accept everything.

FTFY 😜

Chrome on Mac (OS 10.10) – cookie settings are: “Allow sites to save and read data” = yes; “Block third party cookies” = yes; no sites whitelisted; there’s a few sites, including skimresources.com explicitly blocked from setting cookies. Popups and redirects are blocked, ads blocked on sites that show intrusive ads is on. Do not track is on. Safe browsing is on.

Run Ghostery plug-in.

With the above I’ve had the privacy popup just once a couple of weeks after the hooha started, turned off all the tracking and ad related stuff then saved/accepted. Not had it since.

The Imgur one is odd, I use Imgur as a photo hosting site and don’t see that popup when inserting images on forums.

whitestone
    Free Member

Actually GDPR is opt-in and the default settings in popups must be “no” requiring affirmative action from the user to enable them. Pre-ticked/enabled boxes or options are explicitly banned.

johnners
    Free Member

the only real way to resolve this will be a complaint to the ICO or prosecution of STW’s owners.

Dear ICO, there’s this bike website which is mildly inconveniencing me…

I’m afraid I have no clue about what any grounds for prosecution would be, please enlighten me.

andytherocketeer

If I go settings then privacy, the Accept Cookies slidey thing is set to accept, I don’t know if there’s anywhere else I can check.

Depends on browser. Sometime’s the “Accept 3rd party cookies” is the very next slider or checkbox. Sometimes it’s further down the page of options.

And if it’s client-side, I don’t understand why I don’t get the same issue on other sites I go to

because some sites use a 3rd party service for handling a consent cookie, and others don’t.

I’d block 3rd party cookies but whitelist the consensu.org cookie (but it’d be nice if the powers that be explained that that needs whitelisting). But then the plugin that I use that is not ghostery, nor does it have ad in the title seems to entirely block the consent form. No form. No cookie.
    When I googled consensu etc. at the weekend, one assumes that many US site use their other options for GDPR… to totally block all access from EU countries.

edit: PS the plugins that are frowned upon to mention here are old news too. Firefox has that built in – one single checkbox. Chrome on Android has that built in – one single checkbox. Chrome on Windows too – just checked. They may frown upon the use of revenue reducing addons, but can they frown upon us checking a setting that is built right in? (only google etc. can say what is “intrusive”)

ajaj
    Free Member

“I’m afraid I have no clue about what any grounds for prosecution would be,”

You might want to read my posting history!

leffeboy

Yes it is STW’s fault. If you need to explicitly set a cookie to record preference and that preference is “no cookies” then your site is broken.

They have no other way of recording your preference.  The problem is with using a third party cookie to do it rather than cookies in general. See if there is a way of whitelisting stw so cookies work on their site

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Use Brave Browser on your mobile (even if it’s just for browsing this site). That should do it.

whitestone
    Free Member

They have no other way of recording your preference.

Yes they do (at least for the global option) – if a user has blocked third party cookies then that’s a good indication that they don’t want the ad cookies and trackers. The ad network attempts to write, then read a cookie, if they can’t then that’s your preference and they don’t need a popup or anything else to ask you.

johnners
    Free Member

PS the plugins that are frowned upon to mention here are old news too. Firefox has that built in – one single checkbox. Chrome on Android has that built in – one single checkbox. Chrome on Windows too – just checked. They may frown upon the use of revenue reducing addons, but can they frown upon us checking a setting that is built right in? (only google etc. can say what is “intrusive”)

I don’t know about Firefox but the Chrome option to block intrusive ads is excessively “light touch” iaw Google’s policy on the Play store and elsewhere and as befits an organisation that makes so much from advertising. The PIA app, for example, even misses out on the MACE functionality of the full app from the PIA website. It’s really not comparable to a “proper” blocker.

You might want to read my posting history!

Thanks, but I was hoping for something more concise.

kelron
    Free Member

I’m curious as to why STW is the only site I visit that pops up the privacy notice again on every single page load as of a week or two ago. Yes I have 3rd party cookies blocked but I have done for a long time and this only started recently.

Cougar

Apparently StreamAMP are looking into the issue “with urgency” now.

I guess, since the powers that be seem.unwilling to engage with the issue, the only real way to resolve this will be a complaint to the ICO or prosecution of STW’s owners. I’ll set the wheels in motion.

You want to block STW from saving your preferences, then complain that the site keeps asking you what your preferences are?

pondo

Apparently StreamAMP are looking into the issue “with urgency” now.

Happy days – nice one chief! 🙂

scotroutes

You want to block STW from saving your preferences, then complain that the site keeps asking you what your preferences are?

I’m guessing it could be done server-side assuming the user logs on each time?

(Edit: I’m not suggesting that’s a workable solution, just curious,though it must happen to an extent already as P users get fewer ads)

andytherocketeer

And would make logged out browsing near impossible for anyone, P or not P, registered or not registered 😉
    That’s why it saves a cookie locally.

I browse logged out much of the time. No consent form, no ads. Log in only when I need to post.

scotroutes

I browse logged out much of the time. No consent form, no ads. Log in only when I need to post.

Any particular reason?

whitestone
    Free Member

No problem with STW saving a cookie (or several, which they do) it’s third parties have don’t need to as I explained above.

andytherocketeer

Any particular reason?

because I bin almost all cookies at the end of the session (especially on work PC), mainly to stop a metric sh**load of tracking cookies build up. and CBA to log in each morning until I really need to.

Cougar

And would make logged out browsing near impossible for anyone, P or not P, registered or not registered 😉
    That’s why it saves a cookie locally.

Precisely.

I suppose you could theoretically associate preferences to a user account rather than a given session / device, but that idea goes out of the window as soon as a user is logged out. And I could be wrong here but IIRC the number of logged-out visitors outstrips those with accounts by a very long way.

scotroutes

I suppose you could theoretically associate preferences to a user account rather than a given session / device, but that idea goes out of the window as soon as a user is logged out. And I could be wrong here but IIRC the number of logged-out visitors outstrips those with accounts by a very long way.

That latter fact may be due to the fact that STW, unlike every other forum I use, does not have a “View Unread Topics” type feature. If that existed, I’m pretty sure more folk would log in as a matter of course. The same might be said if the Notifications Counter and Favourites facility actually worked. As I said already, STW must be keeping some sort of track of each users “preferences” at server level – Subscribed/Premier being necessary.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Can this just be fixed now please, really wrecking my head. It popped up mid way through typing this reply, so I had to copy and paste the link at the top and open a new tab (sometimes it just doesn’t go away for me).

Just taking the p!ss at this stage….

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I read up a bit on this page – it shouldn’t be that you have to be a semi tech geek and be adjusting cookie settings just to be able to post on forums. Not that going into the settings and ding all that is that difficult, but it seems daft. Never happened on another website before to me, must be a glitch or a tecanical fault. And its certainly very off putting.

pondo

It’s a-gettin’ worse for me. Interstingly, tried and failed to search for this thread, so glad it’s only a page back, but I did find a closed thread from three months ago where Mark said Streamamp were aware and fixing today (meaning 3 months ago, not today today).

andytherocketeer

Had an identical Streamamp “We value your privacy” thing on another site yesterday. Forget where, but afaict, that must have used a 1st party rather than 3rd party cookie.
    Can’t see anything in my logs as to what rule is making my “internet improvement app” make the consent form never appear for this site, but let it appear for another. If cookie settings are right, then both forms work exactly as expected when allowed to 😉
    Something is certainly different.

Drac

Clearly it’s STW fault that it doesn’t works on the others site.

pondo

^^^ Unhelpful.

STW seems to put a 960kb “something” on my phone – does that seem big? (If I go settings – advanced – manage website data, the STW “thing” sits there, doesn’t get any biggerer)

pondo

Finding it less intrusive today, only had a couple. 🙂

pondo

Just thought I’d bump this, as the 137th other thread on this topic has been closed.

Murray

If only the search facility worked…

scruff
    Free Member

Ive just logged in as ive been not coming on here due to the pop up on every single page/ thread. Its still occuring on every single page / thread.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yes, it happens to me every few page losds even with 3rd party cookies enabled.

The IT is strong and stable. Repeat after me..

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Singletrack have ruined this forum due to greed.

Drac

Greed?

Cougar

Singletrack have ruined this forum due to greed.

Yeah, what were they thinking, not wanting to go bust. They should’ve binned off the rest of the site and invested all their time and money into making the perfect forum that would’ve existed for about a fortnight.

A lot of users, not least of all myself, have invested a lot of time into the forum and are emotionally invested in it. But like it or not, STW is a commercial enterprise and if business decisions don’t come first then there won’t be a site any longer. I know that some people don’t want to hear that and won’t be happy unless Mark popped round to their house personally to give them a big cuddle, but it’s the cold reality of the industry unfortunately.

scruff
    Free Member

But it doesnt work as a website.

pondo

And he said 3 months ago that it’d be fixed. 🙁

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

My phone has crashed once a day for the last fortnight.
    Every single time it has been while browsing STW.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yoyo forum. Just moving the mouse around the forum goes up and down like a yoyo. Trying to click on anything is like trying to shoot a moving target. Firefox on a PC. At least once a day my computer freezes, the mouse arrow disappears and I have to reboot. Only on STW.

Edit to add a vid:
    https://youtu.be/LkoVxzhwA5w

Closing and reopening Firefox stops the yoyo then I browse STW and at some point off it goes again.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 185 total)

The topic ‘You value my privacy – every 10 minutes!’ is closed to new replies.