Home Forums Chat Forum Yamaha hi-fi problem

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Yamaha hi-fi problem
  • sadexpunk

hi

bought a yamaha CRX-N470D hi-fi unit over 2 years ago now after recommendations on here and have been impressed with it so far.
    however, its just lost its tuner signal. works fine on all other inputs, but when selecting ‘tuner’ it just says ‘tuning…..’ and doesnt ever find anything.

rang superfi where i bought it from, they said that as its out of warranty then theres not much chance of a free fix. i mentioned that equipment should still be fit for purpose for a ‘suitable timeframe’ (which 2 years isnt) but that didnt seem to make any difference either, they said yamaha are quite regimental when it comes to the expiry dates, when its out after a year, its out.
    theyve tried contacting yamaha anyway, but said they think theyve closed down during this current climate.

ive tried a ‘process of elimination’ and bought a little ‘F-type adaptor’ which meant that i could plug in the telly aerial to try that, but its still the same. so…… this implies that it is indeed the box.

does this mean anything to any of you hifi bods?

anything else for me to try? is the tuner dead? can it be fixed? is it likely to be expensive? missing 6 music already :-/

thanks

BigJohn

I’ve got one of those. The other week a lot of stuff disappeared and as you know the instructions and setup are incredibly opaque.
    I unplugged it from everything, then reconnected it to my network using ethernet, scrolled through the impenetrable menu and got it to do a firmware update, somehow (god knows how) reconnected it to my phone and then managed to do a full scan of DAB stations which brought back radio 4 5 and 6. Then got the net radio to tune into 6 music (much better than DAB when it works).
    I’m not buggering about with bluetooth though, one mor touch and it might upset the whole apple cart. If I want to listen to catchup on BBC Sounds I just plug my Minirig into the phone – with a wire! How quaint!

derek_starship
    Free Member

If you can, open it up and check the integrity of connection between the aerial socket and the PCB. At least you can ascertain if what’s coming through the aerial is getting into the tuner circuit.

sadexpunk

I unplugged it from everything, then reconnected it to my network using ethernet, scrolled through the impenetrable menu and got it to do a firmware update, somehow (god knows how) reconnected it to my phone and then managed to do a full scan of DAB stations which brought back radio 4 5 and 6. Then got the net radio to tune into 6 music (much better than DAB when it works).

done (most of) this now thanks john. went through the menu and found firmware update, it said it had been successful although when i checked the version it was still the same number (2.14, is that the same as yours?). switched off and on again, but it still hasnt brought dab back. its still connected to my phone through wifi so been trying to find a scan. think i found the scan through the remote control (init scan?), so clicked for it to scan but its just gone back to ‘tuning…..’
    btw, fm still works, just dab that doesnt, so that implies that it isnt a loose connection between aerial and PCB doesnt it?
    i may try and open it up tho to check.

i found 6 music on net radio as you suggested, so im happy enough for now, be nice to get it working properly tho…..

thanks

EDIT: john youre a star! just as i came off here i thought id try a second ‘InitScan’. this time it went from 0-100%, found 67 channels, and im back in the game! no idea why, but its good as new again 🙂
    thank you very much.

tdog
    Free Member

Have you tried playing

“It’s the end of the world as we know it”

It might just do the trick albeit a broken record

BigJohn

Glad I was able to help. Also glad I’m not the only one to find the Yamaha user interface impenetrable!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Yamaha hi-fi problem’ is closed to new replies.