Home Forums Bike Forum Yamaha e bike motors. Any issues?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Yamaha e bike motors. Any issues?
  • zippykona

For some reason I only trust Bosch motors even though they rattle.
    A bike had come up at a good price locally but has a Yamaha motor.
    Pretty sure they’ve had issues but I have asked on a Facebook page and everyone was gushing about how good they were.
    Almost Apple levels of loyalty.
    Tell me the good and the bad before I spend my money.

tjagain

check with the companies that repair them how repairable they are.

jkomo

If it’s a Giant there were lots of problems. I imagine sorted now but mine bought before or during covid was a nightmare.

honourablegeorge

I watched a youtuibe vid that shows Yamaha PCBSs which had been sitting inside the motor in a couple of inches of water, totally ruined

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRq-KAHqF3tyTArQX37aZEluP-GOjVhSZBURw&s

towzer

Try here, read down a bit, good news I’d suggest.

https://www.emtbforums.com/threads/need-help-deciding-on-a-reliable-motor.34159/page-2

Look for – I think my current answer

twonks

I have a 2022 Giant with a Yamaha and it’s never put a foot wrong, although I admittedly haven’t rode the bike that much since new. Think it’s done 1500 miles or so tops.

Been out in all weathers though and never struggled with my peak of 125Kg

joebristol

I’m not an ebike owner but have clocked online that Yamaha in most make of bikes is generally ok. But Yamaha in a Giant has issues because Giant have made some proprietary changes that make them difficult to fix without going back to Giant. Plus their waterproofing isn’t good inside the frame.

zerocool

I’d been told that the Yamaha motors are pretty reliable (for an ebike motor) but the ones fitted to Giant bikes had too much proprietary Giant stuff that was A – not reliable and B – Giant weren’t very good at sorting out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.