Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • xtr pedal failure – known issue?
  • Garry_Lager

Had an xtr pedal come off the spindle on me last night, the drive side pedal just came straight off as I was setting off from my house. A close look and it’s actually sheared at the threaded end of the spindle.

There’s a longish thread on mtbreview where a lot of people are reporting the same thing happening to them – is this something that’s happened to people here? Wondering if I can get it warrantied as a known issue.

Bit disappointing as shimano 959s or their equivalents have been the epitome of fit and forget for me over the years. Good job it happened outside my front door really – would be a total ballache having it happen out in the hills.

bol

Yep. Happened to me too. Warrantee replacement will hopefully keep on giving.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Certainly is.

I think I’ve seen a thread on here about it, but maybe not.

My drive side pedal fell off, gouging a good bit of my leg as it went. Madison refused to warranty it, citing ‘incorrect maintenance’ which I didn’t buy, but apparently their word is final. Pretty miffed but it happened ages ago and I can’t be bothered pursuing it any further…

brakes
    Free Member

happened to a mate of mine whilst he was out riding. they were only a couple of weeks old too. the shop he got them from replaced them.

njee20
    Free Member

Should’ve bought Crank Brothers 😉

vdubber67
    Free Member

Happened to me too. Previous threads on here I think. Heard a rumour of 2 year warranty but don’t quote me!

I bought another pedal off here….

ononeorange

I haven’t heard that it affects XT – it seems to be just XTR.

maxtorque

Yup, seems to be XTR only, i snapped one off last year, replaced under warranty without quibble. Failed at base of threads, where the thread form creates a stress raiser in the axle.

allthepies
    Free Member

Shimano pedal failure ?
    XTR ?

<faints>

andyruss
    Free Member

Yep, happened to a mate in torridon just as we were descending to Annat

getonyourbike
    Free Member

It’s happened to my mate too. It seems that Shimano has made a mistake with these. Historically, XTR has been the most reliable and they’re undoing that reputation with the current XTR pedals.

squiff
    Free Member

I haven’t heard that it affects XT – it seems to be just XTR.

Yes the new XTR’s are shite, stick with XT’s a lot better for the money

woolymonster
    Free Member

Arrrr crap…looks like I’ll just wait for it to happen then 🙂

woolymonster
    Free Member

Arrrr crap…looks like I’ll just wait for it to happen then 🙂

Garry_Lager

Ta all – thinking a warranty replacement might not be such a good idea in any case. Need 100% confidence in the pedals.

scruff
    Free Member

Yep same happened to me twice, 3 sets now from LBS no quibble. I see it as a free set of cleats everytime.

andybloomer
    Free Member

Yep, I buy cheap these days, m520s nowt else

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Madison refused to warranty it, citing ‘incorrect maintenance’ which I didn’t buy, but apparently their word is final.

I didn’t think it was possible to maintain them?

In an ironic way the new CB stuff is going strong 🙂

bigj205
    Free Member

Exactly this happened to my son during the week
    Replaced with XT

John

cubemeup
    Free Member

Happened to me too!!

catnash
    Free Member

Mine went today, 4 months use, mind you was my first ride in 14 months. The shimano site states 3 years for XTR

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s remarkable that they’ve managed to turn one of the best and most reliable pedals on the market into the worst overprice pile of dog shit on the planet in one iteration. well done shimano splendid effort.

posiwev
    Free Member

had 2 fail in the last 6 months most unshimano pedal like !!

taxi25
    Free Member

Phew !! umd and ahdd about whether to go for xtr or xt when ordering pedals yesterday, whent for xt so happy days.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Well my star trails finally gave up the ghost today.

Again drive side failure, broken at the end of the spindle on the thread.

LBS sending it back tomorrow, see what happens.

rotel
    Free Member

Had drive side pedal fail on me today in same way, XTR expensive and dangerous lucky it happened on a fire road. I’ll be looking for a refund too many XTR pedals have failed (Shimano should be recalling them). XT version seem to be ok?

shame because it’s the first Shimano component I’ve had let me down

shredder
    Free Member

Had three sets of XTR s fail. Gave up in the end moved to XT no issues.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In an ironic way the new CB stuff is going strong

Loving the new Candies and Mallets 🙂

kcal

best check my set of XTRs (is there a specific model code?).
    Have had a set of 959s for a down or more years, absolutely faultless. So much so that when came to get another set of pedals, got a S/H set of 959s..

birdl123
    Free Member

Yep, happened to me too, probably less than 12 months old. Drive side just fell off. Warranty replaced but will be going XT if it happens again.

sillyoldman

Running changes to the pedals have sorted it out.

mudsoul
    Free Member

Happened to my M985s. Replaced under warranty.

snakebite
    Free Member

I had about 5 or 6 replacements over 18 months, eventually put XT on and they have been fine since last Xmas..

chris_db
    Free Member

Just a quick question, all these XTR failures – did any of you service them? Only i do mine every six months and so far (three years) not a problem.

Maybe I’m lucky.

C

bigyinn
    Free Member

Service?
    What you mean unscrew the pedal body from the axle, fill 1/3 body with grease and tighten back up? Not really much there you could balls up, is there?

Furrner
    Free Member

Too much grease that way and the seal will pop out letting grease out and crap in.

I am on my third set, not one has lasted more than 500 miles with one pair dying in under 200 miles. They have not been used in wet conditions, dry weather only and on each set the bearings have taken a crap. Very poor considering the cheap as chips Wellgos they replaced had lasted over 8 years and many thousands of miles in the same conditions.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘xtr pedal failure – known issue?’ is closed to new replies.