Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Anyone else had an XTR pedal come off its axle JRA?
  • bol

I was a bit surprised when my relatively well looked after XTR Race pedal came detached the other day. When I took it into the LBS they said it was the third set they’d seen it happen to. Never had a Shimano pedal issue before.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its a known issue with xtrs imo

I was warned off buying xtr pedals for my bike by the rep at the time .

Got 3 sets now and one was ground down a wall during a spirited road descent in he alps all working fine and have been for a number of years but equally know of 4 x riders who have experianced the same as you !

Onzadog
    Free Member

M970 sheared the nut off the end of the axle after 3 years and new M985 bearing were loose within a couple of months.

snakebite
    Free Member

yup, third set, bearings go after 3 months..

njee20
    Free Member

Never happened on my Egg Beaters, I’d suggest changing to something reliable.

**ducks**

the_lecht_rocks

Oh great……assume warranty covers this then ?

dantsw13

Had my XTR trail pedals for 18 months. They still feel like new!! I use them twice a week, including jumps/drops and I weigh 15 st!!

zinger
    Free Member

i’ve had to send mine back twice because of excessive bearing play after a few months of use – must be a known fault because everytime i’ve been given a new pair – no questions asked – At least theres a 3 years warranty on them , shame they are not as robust as the previous xtr predals

scruff
    Free Member

Yep, mine became attached to my foot and not the pedal JRA. LBS warrantied mine without quibble.

faz083
    Free Member

seen it happen to XT trail pedals as well

fontmoss
    Free Member

egg beaters as the reliable alternative?!

Time, fit and forget*

*runs to check time pedals haven’t disintegrated after tempting fate

bol

I had no idea it was such a common fault. That will explain why the pd-m970s are still about £100 if you can find them.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Happened to me with egg beaters a few weeks ago; had only serviced them once in seven years, so I may be culpable.

mjsmke

Tried out Egg Beaters for the first time today. Once clipped in they are great and feel solid, except they make a clicking sound when you pull up hard as the cleat moves slightly.

Only problem is they are sooooo difficult to clip into. Ill be going back to Shimano’s but probably just the 520’s for reliability reasons.

brakes
    Free Member

Mate of mine came a cropper when the nut sheared and the pedal came off the axle. Only a couple of months old too!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

oh dear. I was just looking at getting some new XTs. Looks like I’ll just stick with the M540s.

dandasbike
    Free Member

happened to mine to after a couple of months, were replaced on warranty asap and have been ok for 6 months.

dantsw13

And, lo, having posted above that mine were great, I now have an issue. One pedal was gritty and not spinning freely, so I took it apart to service it. I put it all back together again, and now the pedal has lateral play. Everything seems tight, but the pedal moves along its axle by about 1cm. Any ideas?

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Crikey! Can’t believe how widespread this seems to be. My 985 came off its axle on a ride last week and I assumed it was just my bad luck.

Not heard anything back from Madison yet…

Bikepimp
    Free Member

Yes happened to me on the singletrack section on the west highland way 🙁

neil853
    Free Member

Mine have a bit of play too 🙁 but i was just going to give them a service, is it best to contact the shop?

footflaps

I’ve had it happen to two M970s (XTR predecessor) where the axle snapped by the lock nut, but they were both years old and had done 1000s of miles.

snowpaul
    Free Member

M970s x2 individual pedals – lockut sheared – weel used / serviced – seen it happen to other riders too,,,

paul

druidh
    Free Member

mjsmke – Member
    Tried out Egg Beaters for the first time today. Once clipped in they are great and feel solid, except they make a clicking sound when you pull up hard as the cleat moves slightly.

Only problem is they are sooooo difficult to clip into. Ill be going back to Shimano’s but probably just the 520’s for reliability reasons.It’s quite a different clipping-in motion, which takes a little getting used to. The Shimano system works by slotting the front part of the cleat in first, then stamping down the heel (this may have become so instinctive that you don’t realise you are doing it.) The Crank Brothers system used by the Eggbeater works best by stomping down on both the front and rear parts of the cleat simultaneously. If you examine the mechanisms, you’ll see why this is the case.

lotus777
    Free Member

yep , play in bearings on my xtr trail pedal – drive side only though.
    sent back under warranty and waiting for the outcome.
    checked my mates at the weekend, exactly the same , play in the drive side pedal !!

dantsw13

Ive just posted in the WTD section – my DS pedal is fine, but my NDS (LH) pedal has self destructed. Does anyone have an unwanted left XTR trail pedal?

wwaswas

As a long term Crank Bros user and having read all the “No one ever lost a pedal body from an axle buying Shimano” posts over the years can I confess to just a little bit of smugness at this point?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Anyone else had an XTR pedal come off its axle JRA?’ is closed to new replies.