Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • XTR Trail Pedals – premature bearing wear
  • boltonjon

Has anyone else noticed incredibly rapid wear to the bearings of this years XTR trail pedals?

I only fitted them back in early June and haven’t done a great mileage on them

Another riding buddy has seen similar

I’ll be looking for warranty on them, as i believe new bearings and bushes are £50+

Does anyone have any positive experience on such a claim?

First time buying XTR over XT, so not overly impressed 🙁

squiff
    Free Member

Same with the XTR race pedals, mine are going back. Gone back to XT race pedals as I know they will last

easygirl

Sent mine back and they replaced, I sold them and bought xt which have been great
    I have heard several complaints re bearing wear on xtr

ianpinder
    Free Member

I know of 6 sets that have been replaced on warrantee

Klunk
    Free Member

amazing that they’ve managed to turn the most reliable pedal into the least reliable. Maybe that was the problem they were lasting too long.

shredder
    Free Member

I’m on my third set now first set seals failed, second set pedal body came off the axle.
    Will see how this pair last !

njee20
    Free Member

Should’ve bought Egg Beaters.

maxsatnav
    Free Member

one of mine busted today 500 yds into ride… gonna try XT £45 on CRC at the mo

Moda
    Free Member

I thought I had the same issue, you could feel movement when grabbing the pedal but I gave them to
    my mechanic friend and within 10 minutes he had them running free with no movement…

mattjg
    Free Member

Yes, 3 months moderate use. I sent them back to CRC and they replaced under warranty, it took a prod because they first said ‘waiting to hear back from Shimano’ and I said “that’s irrelevant I bought them from you test them yourself”.

AFAIK (Googling) they are not user serviceable.

I like the concept, I use them on my SS and the larger footprint can help on getting that first rotation in before I’m clipped.

mattjg
    Free Member

First time buying XTR over XT, so not overly impressed

Same same. If my ‘new’ set go the same way I’m out of XTR.

Bad call from Shimano.

stevede
    Free Member

My mate had the same as shredder losing his pedal off the axle mid ride, not what you’d expect from xtr, will be keeping a close eye on my xt trails.

footflaps

Seems a real backward step as the M959 was almost indestructible…

dantsw13

My XTR trails destructed after 13 months 🙁

mashiehood
    Free Member

hmm i was looking at these – will now look away.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Not sure why people want xtr pedals over xt anyway. A member of the club had the axle snap on his xtrs too.

nuke

My XT Trail pedals went back after a couple weeks after developing lots of play on the driveside. They were replaced under warranty and the replacements did the same albeit over a longer period of time. Instead of sending back, I serviced those myself and they have been ok since. Its the first set of Shimano pedals I’ve owed that it’s been necessary to service so soon…I have other Shimano SPDs that have been going years with little or no servicing

andyl
    Free Member

Not sure why people want xtr pedals over xt anyway. A member of the club had the axle snap on his xtrs too.

the XTR is thinner. But this is probably the reason for their downfall.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

oh great,just brought a set,as my old set were looking battered(2yrs),will keep the old ones as spares i think.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Do people buy new pedals simply because the old ones ‘look’ tatty? I thought pedals were pedals and if they worked then all is well with the world, but I guess this is STW after all!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Mine developed a bit of ‘slop’ in them after about a year, adjusted the bearings which was easy enough & they’ve been fine since. Having said that I never touched my old DX things in 5 years.

nasher
    Free Member

Today one of our guests had the body come off the spindle of her xtr trails at the start of a 10km trail 2000m up in the mountains…..amazingly someone was carrying a spare set of pedals!!!!

I have a set of the xt ones and havent yet had problems…..my old dx’s are 5 years old and had an incredible amount of use!!

njee20
    Free Member

Where does that logic stop? I don’t know why people want XTs over M520s, carbon frames over steel etc. Some people see the merit in buying top end kit, others don’t.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

njee these pedals are obviously not top end kit if they are failing.

The logic stops with a dose of common sense, applied at the consumers discretion. It’s not really open to being STW nit-picked 😉

njee20
    Free Member

njee these pedals are obviously not top end kit if they are failing.

Well yes, but people buy them on the basis that Shimano pedals generally last forever – M959s and M970s have been superb, no reason to think that the 980s would be any different.

The logic stops with a dose of common sense, applied at the consumers discretion. It’s not really open to being STW nit-picked

And yet that’s exactly what you did 🙄

coopersport1
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 sets of Race version with suspect bearings and on Wednesday a very lightly used set of Trail ones had the body come off the spindle. Can’t find the receipt either as I thought they’d be like my old ones and last forever!
    Currently looking for the previous version which I ran for 3yrs without touching and also have some 7yr old xt ones which have been greased twice and have seen 1000’s of miles.

Bought xtr to complement the rest of the bike, I’ll still claim up to this point I’ve had less problems in 10yrs+ of shimano pedals than I had in 1 yr of experiementing on Eggbeaters. Having culminated with a high cadence bearing seisure which also wrote off the crank arm

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘XTR Trail Pedals – premature bearing wear’ is closed to new replies.