Home Forums Bike Forum WTB Volt Vs Ergon SM Sport/Comp/Enduro

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • WTB Volt Vs Ergon SM Sport/Comp/Enduro
  • Jordan

Anyone done a comparison? I know I will only find out by trying but just wondered if anyone had any comments to make about either.

Currently riding WTB Volt and it is the most comfortable saddle I have used in a long time but it’s still not quite there in the comfort stakes. After not very long spells in the saddle I still get sore sit bones.

Fancy trying an Ergon but not sure which to choose. Using their saddle selector, if I select “pressure sensitive buttocks” the only one it recommends is the SM sport. But I wonder how much less comfort would there be with one of the slimmer less padded ones and how they would compare to the Volt.

si77

I really like the SM comp, never had a volt. Every arse is different so wouldn’t necessarily mean anything to you which one suited me best.

Find a shop that let’s you try them on a static bike if you can. Might not help gauge for longer rides, but you should be able to tell fairly quickly if they’re not for you.

johnnystorm

Have you tried a wider/different WTB if the general shape?

I’m fine on a Volt 135 but use a Pure V 142 for long rides.

There are also different grades of padding, so maybe just try a higher spec Volt? Assuming yours isn’t already a Ti railed or similar one!

kelron
    Free Member

I didn’t like the Volt but do like the SM sport so I don’t know if it’s a helpful way of comparing.

TheGhost
    Free Member

I have had a few Volts and found them very comfortable but they changed the scoop at the back in the latest models so I tried an Ergon.

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product-details.html?a=saettel&w=mountain&anr=44030060&s=smcmtb

Ignore that it says its an ebike saddle, this is the best saddle I’ve every ridden.
    Its like the difference between a brand new modern BMW and a 15 year old Vauxhall.

poah
    Free Member

WTB koda (145mm) I found to be much more comfy than the volt.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

I’ve got the ergon sport and it’s very comfortable – a bit flatter than some saddles and it took a bit of time to get the angle dialled but it’s hands down the best saddle I’ve had – and I’ve had close to 50 or so due to chronic groin pain that can last for months at a time when it’s triggered.

Usual caveat – everyone’s saddle preferences are different.

Jordan

Thanks for your thoughts folks. Plenty to think about.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I used to use volts and charge spoons, then I bought an ergon sm. night and day for me!

Still have the volt on the commuter but have ergon on everything else now (my commute is 0.8 miles 😀)

muggomagic

Just to show how personal saddle choice is, I had an ergon SM sport for a while and never really found it that comfortable. When I bought my Ripmo AF last year it came with a WTB Volt and I ran it for a bit and it is super comfortable and I ended up buying one for my other bike and selling the ergon.

Jordan

Just to update, my son bought me the Ergon SM sport for my birthday a few weeks ago. Finally fitted it this week and got out for a ride. Just set it up dead level as they recommend and it was brilliant! Very comfortable from the off. It seems to have more clearance for my inner thighs which seems to help pedaling. It feels like my legs have been derestricted in a way that I didn’t even realise they were being restricted, if that makes any sense.

sparkyrhino

Cheers for the update, looking to make the same change over, have a wide volt at the moment and was hovering over a ergon sm m/l, like the sound of a tad more space for inner thighs, The volt is comfy <20 miles but found im having to shuffle about a bit more on longer rides, plus its started creaking😐

jayx2a
    Free Member

Went from a Wtb Pure to ergon sm pro. Could not get on with it at all!!

Back to the pure now.

seriousrikk

I am currently riding on a Ergon Sm10 that came with my Canyon Neuron. I find it ok for shorter rides but honestly I think the shape of the padding is just odd – the pad profile near the inner thighs is remarkably square compared to my SDG Bel Air 3.

Jordan

@seriousrikk I think it is that squareness that gives me the extra clearance that I like. It makes for a shorter seat section.

sparkyrhino

Got a large ergon sm comp to replace the creaky large volt.As mentioned by op, fitted and set level, 3 longish 30+ mile rides in and i’m impressed such a comfy perch, no futher adjustment have been needed👍🏼

honourablegeorge

Tried an Ergon SM Enduro, ended up buying two more, plus an SR Road. Really like them, they become invisible in the way that good bike bits are, just don’t think about them at all

keppoch

Interested to hear if anyone has tried an Ergon versus SQ Lab Active 611.

jamesmio
    Free Member

If anyone would like a deal on a lightly used Ergon SM Comp please DM me. I’ve tried one for a couple of months and its absolute torture for my lardeous ass.

singlespeedstu

Just fitted a Ergon SM Enduro and so far so good.
    If you like flatter saddles you should like this.
    For me more round profile saddles get right up my arse and proper rub me up the wrong way.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘WTB Volt Vs Ergon SM Sport/Comp/Enduro’ is closed to new replies.