Home Forums Bike Forum WTB Laserdisc XC wheels – any good?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • WTB Laserdisc XC wheels – any good?
  • legend
    Free Member

As above really. Might be able to get a bit of a deal on a set but need to make sure they’re up for the job.

Would be used for XC (kinda obviously), but could do with standing up to a bit of a hammering.

Cheers,
    Mark

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’ve never used them so this could be entire cobblers but I believe they are reasonably tough, quite heavy and the rims come up slightly large which makes fitting certain tyres an iron thumb challenge.

leystan
    Free Member

Not had mine long so can’t really give you a full appraisal but i can tell you they are an effin pain to get tyres seated. They do go eventually but you need lots if elbow grease and near max psi before they…POP.

Andituk
    Free Member

My Laserdisc Trails are a pain in the arse to get tyres seated on too.

Decent otherwise.

4ndyB
    Free Member

What hubs & spokes?

Who’s building them?

What is your budget?

legend
    Free Member

see here

Ewan
    Free Member

Laser discs have stupid channel in the middle that both makes getting seat seated needlessly hard (pump up to 60psi and wait for the ‘pop’) and also make tubless full on impossible without a compressor.

I’d not buy them – I have some laser disc trails on my hard tail which came with the bike…

legend
    Free Member

hhmmm, think i’ll do a bit more bargain hunting!

Thanks folks

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

WTB rims have a definite channel which can make seating slightly annoying with tight tyres. Never had significant probs with Maxxis or Kendas or Panaracers.

They came with my TranceX, got thrashed for 2 years, now on my HT. Not yet broken a spoke or needed to true. The DT hubs seem OK, though the freehub is not well sealed and mine filled with muddy water. They aren’t especially light, but they are cheap.

Seem good VFM to me.

dekadanse
    Free Member

No – not strong and don’t roll v well – sapped mine for Mavic 717/Hope XCs and bike was transformed.

dekadanse
    Free Member

……or even ‘swapped mine…..etc’

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“don’t roll v well”

Interesting remark. They are round and don’t noticeably deform so in what way don’t they roll well?

Do you mean they feel slow to accelerate? But then they decellerate slowly and “roll well”. I just don’t know what you mean. Sorry.

joeegg
    Free Member

I’ve got Laser disc lite wheels on my Giant Reign,2007,and they are still going strong.They have had a lot of hammer as i live in Southern Spain and the trails can be quite brutal.
    They are pretty light for their width and the hubs spin really freely.No broken spokes but the rear rim is just starting to go at the joint.
    I’ve replaced the hub bearings once,which is an easier job than Hope hubs,but they were an awkward size to find and hence quite expensive.
    The only problem i have had is play in the bearings from virtually new.Even the replacement bearings had play in them and it can’t be adjusted out.I think the design may have changed on the newer ones.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘WTB Laserdisc XC wheels – any good?’ is closed to new replies.