Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)
  • Why does STW forum attract so many of life's losers.
  • Nothing personal against CountZero, it’s just something I’ve been thinking about for a while and this is the most recent example I’ve seen.
    Sensible discussion about maps, then someone has to jump in with an aggressive attitude and insults.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/125000-how-much#post-3822743

People don’t behave like this in real life, why is it so frequent on STW ?

DezB
    Free Member

What about the very 1st response to this
    Shockin.

molgrips
    Free Member

You tell me!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Forum rage – it’s a bit like road rage isn’t it?.

Private space + exposure to public = weird aggression, perhaps born from innate feelings of inadequacy or impotence.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You’re a fricking Vegan wannabe strong man who flaps around the countryside for fun.

What’s your point?

Actually – I think you need to define what you mean by loser?

Type of job?
    Social standing?
    Friendship circle?
    Standard of living?
    Education level?

bluebird
    Free Member

Because on a forum you less likely to get a smack in the chops for behaving like an idiot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

This thread sucks goats.

vinnyeh

On forums I think a lot of people want to belong, and don’t want their voices to go unheard- it’d be a bit like going to the pub with mates, then not saying a word all night..

In a normal conversation you make a comment when there’s a gap, or can nod a head to agree.
    Online there’s no gaps as such, so people who need to make sure that their ‘contributions’ are heard have a tendency to adopt an extreme posture. Akin to shouting over the conversation of the rest of the crowd. IMO of course.

djglover
    Free Member

Must not bite…..

RealMan
    Free Member

People don’t behave like this in real life, why is it so frequent on STW the internet?

Ever looked at the comments on youtube videos?

unklehomered
    Free Member

There is quite simply no way this thread ends well. 😉

When I returned recently my first few threads all ended up being about someone else’s sales dispute, even though I was asking about something totally unconnected, and I didn’t care.

Yeah, youtube is pretty bad, but that’s a special case.
    I don’t see this sort of behaviour on running or weightlifting forums.

unklehomered
    Free Member

There are weightlifting forums…

and they don’t get bitchy? I don’t know why from my point of utter ignorance that surprises me.

Today I have a reappraised a stereotype i didn’t even know I held. 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

OI MTG, who you call’in a Looser..

Outside..

Now..

RealMan
    Free Member

I thought bodybuilders was meant to be infamous for it. Also there’s that climbing site that’s meant to be awful, facebook can be ridiculous sometimes, bikeradar can be a complete joke if you go the right sub forum, I’ve even seen some pretty nasty things on just local club noticeboards/forums. STW isn’t special. In fact, I’d say it’s quite nice here. Can get very nasty sometimes, but 90% of the threads are fine. Swear filter and decent moderation helps a lot IMO.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I’ve never looked at the comments on Youtube, so I’ve just had a look at the comments on a couple of Peppa Pig episodes and my god you are right.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Because on a forum you less likely to get a smack in the chops for behaving like an idiot.

This and it lets people release the inner **** as you are anoymous

Have you seen some of the programmes on tv on trolls where people turn up and insult the dead to get a reaction…there are some weird folk out there and the internet lets them do this safely. Imaginge turning up to someone’s funeral and abusing the dead…not going to end well.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I suspect it’s just down to simple numbers. STW has X thousands of readers & posters. It only takes a few people lacking in the “bite your virtual tongue” gene to make for a lot of argumentative & rude posts. I frequent loads of other forums, none of which have anywhere near the level of rudeness found on this one, but those have far fewer members. This forum software also seems to allow a greater level of perceived anonymity than something like phpBB. This one feels more akin to the old Usenet groups…and those of us old enough to remember those may recall some epic slanging matches!

unklehomered
    Free Member

Our small indepentant MTB forum used to get a bit like that, but now has settled down since most people left… I think its just a thing from when a forum reaches a certain size, threads gain momentum and people don’t have to worry about the result of whatever they’ve just said…

scuzz
    Free Member

I thought this thread was a reference to the middle aged, bald, fat, Audi driving IT managers. I’m disapointed that it’s actually just about the internet 🙁

wrecker
    Free Member

Ever looked at the comments on youtube videos?

I’ve noticed this. The amount of racism on there is pretty disgusting.

xcgb
    Free Member

People are more agressive in their cars too, its about being safely distanced from the other person

Yuman nature innit

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Also there’s that climbing site that’s meant to be awful

UKClimbing by any chance – it does seem to be home to a higher than average quota of agressive prima donnas. Whether it’s worse than this place is fairly subjective, although I’ll happily stick my oar in here and rarely do on UKC.

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s a shame. I frequent another site (I won’t mention it though) there’s no swear filter as it’s not needed. So you can swear if the moment calls for it, or if it’s in good humor.
    They also read the posts, and if they aren’t that clear they’ll make every effort to try and understand, rather than treat you like a moron or worst still go straight into their ‘ner ner ner neeeeer routine’
    Also if they have nothing to say or have no interest in your post they simply stay away.

Good point, xcgb, I’ve always thought there was a similarity between cars and the internet in that way to.
    If you’re walking through town and it’s a bit crowded, people will shuffle round each other and let people through with maybe the occasional tut tut at the dawdlers.
    Those same people in cars will push forward and deliberately block junctions and toot at other cars once they’re in their own car.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I was told “if you can’t saying anything nice, don’t say anything at all”. I think also, if you wouldn’t say it to your mum you shouldn’t say it to a stranger either!

Woody
    Free Member

Today I have a reappraised a stereotype i didn’t even know I held.

Excellent 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I take it you’re referring to the use of “bleating” and “freetard” in the first paragraph of CountZero’s response?

Although a bit offhand, I wouldn’t say it was anything to get that upset about. I get called a lot worse all the time.

On here, too… 😀

You might want to look in the mirror and defend your own use of the word “loser”, in this context.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

As a general note… I never feel more of a weirdo for being normal than when I go to a climbing wall. It really is the freaks parade in those places.

Mountain biking is sort of similar… I mean look how many people fawn over lego and star wars on this place. Each to their own, but to me they’re childs toys.

Is it that they’re both sports that (in the main) are the prooving ground for lads too useless at team sports… picked last at football all the time… become a climber.

These types who were useless at school… some have gone on to prove themselves in the workplace, ie got a good job and now powertrip all over the place with the pent up frustration of being picked on at school. If they’ve not done that, they hide behind monitors telling other faceless losers that they’re… Losers.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i image searched trailquests and looked at a few pics

loser?

peterfile
    Free Member

UKC is a lot like STW (STW does seem to have fewer Daily Mail readers though).

It takes a while to learn who and what to avoid, but once you’ve done that there is a lot of useful info from helpful people under all the crap.

I asked a fairly harmless question not long after I joined UKC about whether it was possible to access the top of Ardvorlich crags without having to lead them first (the climbing is above the grade i’m comfortable leading at, and comes with a stern health warning about the chance of a ground fall due to significant distance between bolts and lack of trad gear placements. I just didn’t want to take the trip all the way out there to find out I couldn’t do any climbing at all!). I took a bit a stick before being given loads of useful advice from people, including the chap who actually bolted the route.

You just need to develop a decent “crap posts” and “crap people” filter on here and UKC, then both are actually filled some pretty good people and info 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

Runnersworld by any chance? “Wow, you ran a 30 minute 5km! Go you!” I hate how supportive that place is 😉

hora
    Free Member

Theres a couple that have followed me around for quite a while posting immediate negative thoughts after I post. I think in some IT worker circles its seen as ‘funny’ but I see it as almost autistic in nature. I can’t remember what half the people post, what sort of ‘agenda’ each poster has or even have half the inclination to target someone.

Some members of society are decidedly unusual. Just tune them out.

As for the aggressively negative posting- I also see them as a bit wierd. Probably can’t hold down a relationship or have many real friends.

butcher

I suspect it’s just down to simple numbers.

I don’t think it is. I’ve been on a lot of large forums down the years, and yeah, some have their problems, but there’s a couple that stand out, and STW is one of them.

Every forum has it’s own culture. And the culture on here would seem to dictate that you must chastise others for not being as good as you at something. So if you’re a little less intelligent, less articulate, not quite so fast down the trail, not quite so fast up the trail, or if it takes you longer than 5 minutes to bleed your brakes….then you’re fair game.

I’d call it bullying.

Which is a shame, because there are a lot of intelligent and well educated users on here, and it’s all too often used to massage egos at the expense of others.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Every forum has it’s own culture. And the culture on here would seem to dictate that you must chastise others for not being as good as you at something. So if you’re a little less intelligent, less articulate, not quite so fast down the trail, not quite so fast up the trail, or if it takes you longer than 5 minutes to bleed your brakes….then you’re fair game.

Isn’t it all tongue in cheek?

Woody
    Free Member

Isn’t it all tongue in cheek?

For everyone except the losers………….obviously 😉

racefaceec90

in my case it’s the complete opposite.i try and be polite online,but in reality i suffer with ocss (obsessive compulsive swearing syndrome),and am a bit of a to*&^R in real life (not joking 😳

batfink
    Free Member

Forums and stuff like them (facebook, twitter etc) are a “new” type of communication that some people seem to struggle with, ie: a written conversation, where you can reply immediately (without necessarily engaging your brain), but are limited by how well you can write down whats in your head.

Seems to me that a lot of issues occur on threads because posters haven’t articulated their thoughts clearly enough (so that they could be missunderstood), or people have missunterstood/not read carefully what others have written.

I think it’s just a matter of time before people get better at communicating in this way.

Saying all that, some people are just numpties…. and that will never change!

fd3chris
    Free Member

I agree Butcher, sometimes I’m shocked at the aggressive and rude behaviour of some of the people on here , seemingly to no end but to intimidate someone . I thought our love of one sport would bring people together, not bring division.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I was going to insult batfink for his non-use of proper apostrophisation in his first paragraph, but I see that by the second, he had used the correct punctuative format, so I’ll let him off.

But just watch it, sonny… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Why does STW forum attract so many of life's losers.’ is closed to new replies.