Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)
  • Why does STW forum attract so many of life's losers.
  • El-bent
    Free Member

No scratch that. The STW motto must be “all life is here”, even if it is lowlife. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Did I do something to offend you, El-bent??

EDIT: Oh hang on, missed the 😉

Far too subtle. 😯

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard are you threatening my handsome Penis?

10pmix
    Free Member

VYVYAN: Did I say kiss you on the bottom? Oh, beg your pardon. I meant to say, stick a pick axe through your spinal column!

NEIL: Oh, no, my party’s having a row!

MIKE: Yeah, no booze, you see, Neil. Tempers fray.

DezB
    Free Member

Excellent example of what we’re talking about.

What can I say.. I’m a loser.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’m quite cocky in real life and very sweary, well when at work, but it’s all banter. I deal with some pretty aggressive guys and it’s just a form of getting on top. It’s pretty usual for me to be called a C during my dealings at work.
    Therefore I tend to hold back quite often, but sometimes feel I’ve been a little ‘direct’

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’m usually mroe reserved on forums than I am in person, in person i might judge something tongue in cheek to be suitable for the audience, but online it would need to be suitable for everyone, and sometimes people go out of their way to be offended.

wwaswas

I get that a lot. Ahem.

stw is often more ‘pie in the face’ slapstick than subtle wordplay.

I appreciate your efforts though so do carry on 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

I realise a lot of it is banter, KingTut got a comment aimed at me deleted. I knew it was joke, but someone else obviously took it seriously and thought I needed protecting.

You do. You tofu-eating pansy.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s that bad here really. I used to frequent UKClimbing and that was a lot worse. I also used to use a dnb forum called DOA and that was worse too.

I think any big, busy forum can get a bit ‘rough’ but there’s not that much real nastiness on here is there?

kudos100
    Free Member

kudos100, I think that’s the problem.
    You can moderate against swearing and outright abuse. It’s a lot harder to define the sort of behaviour that discourages people from posting here and stop it.

I realise a lot of it is banter, KingTut got a comment aimed at me deleted. I knew it was joke, but someone else obviously took it seriously and thought I needed protecting

It is more difficult to define, but I don’t think it that hard to stop.

I’m all for banter, forums are dull without it, but there is quite a clear line between banter and being a t**t. The latter seems to happen on here constantly and allows people to get away with behaving like cocks because they can pretend it is banter.

In real life, if you aggressively jump down some ones throat for having an opinion that is slightly different to your own, the chances are you would either be ostracised or get into a fight. We don’t speak to strangers like this is real life, so why should people get away with it on the net?

Someone voices an opinion about something: reply, “how dare you have an opinion on something, what makes you the holier than thou?”

Being a cock.

Someone posts a new bike: reply, “weeds need doing, tyre logos aren’t lined up, I’m offended”

Banter.

Not that hard. I agree that sometimes the line is blurred and that is what good forum moderation is about and is much tougher. Stopping people behaving like children is not that difficult.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

It’s a form of therapy.

We’ve become so PC as a society that when we get unleashed to say what we think (sometimes without thinking….) then we take it.

I blame the uneducated working class on here that has no sense of humour. People need to accept that they are low lifes and stop getting uppity when someone else makes a joke they can’t understand.

wwaswas

People need to accept that they are low lifes and stop getting uppity when someone else makes a joke they can’t understand.

*lack of a smiley leads to some confusion but settles on ‘he was probably joking’*

( 😉 )

oldgit
    Free Member

I blame the uneducated working class on here that has no sense of humour. People need to accept that they are low lifes and stop getting uppity when someone else makes a joke they can’t understand.

Okay then, sorry.

DezB
    Free Member

*reported bullheart’s post for bullying*

oldgit
    Free Member

Actually MTBers are perfect targets, so stuff it 🙂

I shouted ‘f*** me it’s the cast of Westside story’ out at a bunch of MTBers that stood and watched us pass. Strong silent types in Oakleys they were.

I got told off for that?

But I like shouting at other cyclists anyway, that and licking lamp posts when it’s icy out.

Thank you.

10pmix
    Free Member

but there is quite a clear line between banter and being a t**t.

Not so easy I fear. One person’s banter is another’s offending remark. I call my first witness to this inquiry, a Mr J. Clarkson.

Woody
    Free Member

Being an oldgit has its perks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think it’s a tricky tight-rope to walk though, and a very subjective one too. Personally I find plenty of other forums fantastically dull because of zealous-moderation leading to a culture of only the most benignly insipid views being expressed.

It’s very true, that. I occasionally use a US based forum where all mentions of shops and suppliers are banned. It’s awful.

I was also banned from the UK (Ducati) Monster Owners Club forum for calling someone a cock when he went on a rant about cyclists. I did mean it though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Not so easy I fear. One person’s banter is another’s offending remark. I call my first witness to this inquiry, a Mr J. Clarkson.

AY sums it all up really as to why offence is taken/given and why given numbers there will be some friction

Ps he is a ****

bullheart
    Free Member

DANGNAMMIT!

*reported again for swearing*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

#ihavethestrangest

camo16
    Free Member

Anyone know which forum has so many of life’s winners on it?

I fancy hanging out with those cats for a while. 8)

wwaswas

I suspect if you have ask where the winners forum is it’s too late to join 😉

camo16
    Free Member

I suspect if you have ask where the winners forum is it’s too late to join

Fair point. I’d settle for a forum populated only by those with regular and inexplicable cravings for Rolos.

LapSteel
    Free Member

mmmm………rolos

camo16
    Free Member

Pure silky gorgeousness in a lovely, considerate gold wrapper that made you feel like a winner…

* sighs and craves *

Coyote
    Free Member

Anyone know which forum has so many of life’s winners on it?

I fancy hanging out with those cats for a while.

Find out which forum Surfmat went to, it’s bound to be AWESOME. 8)

Cougar

You’re already on it.

Though, you misspelt “wieners”.

hora
    Free Member

We are all losers. Its my birthday today and I thought ‘what have I achieved so far in life’?

Nothing. I haven’t found a cure, killed many men/Civilians on the battlefield, I’m not fantastically rich or hold multiple Directorships, I’m not an CEO of a PLC etc.

camo16
    Free Member

Happy Birthday Hora.

Now go out and treat yourself to a nice packet of Rolos. 8)

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I come here for because no other forums will have me.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pceBcOGL7nI&feature=related[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

I came along here from another forum (windsurfing) cos I was riding my bikes more. I got here and pissed myself laughing on my first read of one of Elfin’s posts..

Then I got stuck in when he did his Architectural Threads and that was it, been here ever since.

I have been close to the knuckle once, Mods pulled me up on it and that was enough for me to shut the fekup.

Though I really miss the pee taking, the stuff that went on a year ago, I often giggled out loud in the orrifice, now though it’s much tamer.

I’m not too sure I like it too tame.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I thought I saw you the other morning on the commute. Black Dahon. No helmet. Jeans and olive-coloured baseball cap?

Kit
    Free Member

I’m amazed that a thread about “life’s losers” got to the 4th page without a mention of this prize helmet:

RealMan – Member

althepal

Oooo- he who must not be named!!
    But is allowed to carry on as normal here as if nothing had happened?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

LOLZ at Losers.

Realman might be bad egg but he won on that deal, didn’t he?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Why does STW forum attract so many of life's losers.’ is closed to new replies.