Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)
  • Why does STW forum attract so many of life's losers.
  • hora
    Free Member

I think for those types of people its frustration/anger at their own current situation ‘lashing out’ and posturing.

For instance if someone posted a pic that they were proud of and it happened to include some mention (not meant) of something material (=wealth of some sort), some posters would attack.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I thought our love of one sport would bring people together, not bring division.

just because somebody rides a bicycle doesn’t mean i want to be their friend.
    lots of people like football, most of them i wouldn’t want to pass the time of day with.

ski
    Free Member

fd3chris – Member

I agree Butcher, sometimes I’m shocked at the aggressive and rude behaviour of some of the people on here , seemingly to no end but to intimidate someone . I thought our love of one sport would bring people together, not bring division.

+1

Funny how you don’t seem this aggressive and rude behaviour at cycling events, quite the opposite generally 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

anonymity + the internet = dickhead

I try to behave the same online as I do in the real world.

BruceWee

I try to apply the ‘pub rule’ on internet forums. If I wouldn’t say it to someone in a pub then I wouldn’t say it on here (or on UKC).

The thing about STW and UKC is that the mountain biking and climbing communities are actually quite small. There’s a good chance that you’ll bump into forumites in real life.

If I meet someone in real life who’s called me a **** on here then I’d expect them to say it to my face as well. Then I guess we would just have to see what happened.

druidh
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    anonymity + the internet = dickhead

I try to behave the same online as I do in the real world.+1
    I always assume that I might actually meet the person one day.

batfink – Member
    Seems to me that a lot of issues occur on threads because posters haven’t articulated their thoughts clearly enough (so that they could be missunderstood), or people have missunterstood/not read carefully what others have written.

There’s also the “misunderstood humour” aspect. Things written as a response on a forum might be funny to the person writing them but it can so easily be misunderstood.

For instance… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-shimano-xt-25th-anniversary-belt-buckle

I thought the response was quite witty, but the OP obviously didn’t.

hilldodger
    Free Member

More than a few minutes every now and then scanning for new posts, maybe a follow up post ot two to previous discussions – any more than that (IMO and with added 😉 ) does imply a socially disfunctional person of retarded personal growth and development, in fact some may say a total loser……..

…….aka a big hitter

MrWoppit
    Free Member

There’s also the “misunderstood humour” aspect. Things written as a response on a forum might be funny to the person writing them but it can so easily be misunderstood.

For instance… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-shimano-xt-25th-anniversary-belt-buckle

That is an excellent point.

peterfile
    Free Member

I thought the response was quite witty, but the OP obviously didn’t.

Ha ha! I hadn’t even spotted the reply, cheers!

Goodness, I was only having a wee joke on the basis that a belt buckle designed to commemorate a model of gears for a push bike is well, a bit unusual 😉

hora
    Free Member

I’m quite similar in real life as I am online- i.e don’t take myself seriously, like to be a clown and I’m full of shit most of the time. The only difference to some folk is I don’t lack introspective. I know exactly what I am and I love rolling with it. Some folk lack introspective which is bloody scary.

Theres a few on STW that I imagine fall into that category.

Woody
    Free Member

PF
    I thought it was funny but then again I’m not selling or in the market for bike related clothing accessories, although something to keep my shirt cuffs closed would be nice………….

MussEd
    Free Member

I agree the misunderstood humour aspect is a big thing online – however I have a personal rule never to use smileys. So sometimes it’s not clear if I’m at it or not. Whereas in the pub or in a work environment my over-active comedy eyebrows usually give the game away to whoever I’m talking to…

mcboo
    Free Member

Not a lot wrong with STW. Swearing filter is a good idea, otherwise I’d be the worst offender. People generally know how to behave and I dont know anywhere else for good advice on matters bike and non-bike.

10pmix
    Free Member

I think the haste in posting sometimes invites the sarcastic and the down right rude. Its too easy to post something like “my LBS is very expensive” which is really just a rant/ release of energy into the internetospere. The obvious response that then comes back is “don’t go there then”. That is then seen as rude or unhelpful. But what help/response was the OP actually looking for?

And just as it’s easy to post in haste so it is to post in hate…

Let us all hold hands and sing together in unity. Through this gesture of love and togetherness we can be released from the fear that drives us to post nonsense on internet forums. Bless you all and glory to the God that is the bloke that invented mountain biking.

emsz
    Free Member

STW is cool, there are other sites I’m on that are much much worse. Some of the huuuuge political or religion threads are well dull though.

druidh
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    STW is cool, there are other sites I’m on that are much much worse. Some of the huuuuge political or religion threads are well dull though.

Just don’t open them. You can pretty much guess what’s going on and who is posting once it reaches the second or third page 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

A big part of it is how the site is moderated. Another site I visit has much stricter moderation as is a much nicer place as a result.

When you have people getting away with being aggressive and rude, and are not picked up on it, the forum becomes a free-for-all. In the majority of cases, threads are only closed when they have turned into a multi page slanging match.

Some people need to be told that they shouldn’t speak to people in a certain way and if they continue to do so they will be banned. What happens is the people who cannot behave get banned and those who want to stay part of the forum get in line.

STW is a great resource and there are lots of good people here, but it is let down by the moderating.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m quite similar in real life as I am online- i.e don’t take myself seriously, like to be a clown and I’m full of shit most of the time. I know exactly what I am and I love rolling in it.

FTFY

zokes
    Free Member

If I meet someone in real life who’s called me a **** on here then I’d expect them to say it to my face as well. Then I guess we would just have to see what happened.

Go you.

Woody
    Free Member

Another site I visit has much stricter moderation as is a much nicer place as a result.

That seems to go against what most posters on the matter have advocated………………….or are they just a very vocal minority?

IanMunro
    Free Member

STW is a great resource and there are lots of good people here, but it is let down by the moderating.

I think it’s a tricky tight-rope to walk though, and a very subjective one too. Personally I find plenty of other forums fantastically dull because of zealous-moderation leading to a culture of only the most benignly insipid views being expressed.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

a much nicer place as a result

Too nice is bloody boring IMO.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

. Bless you all and glory to the God that is the bloke that invented mountain biking.

Are you ACTUALLY TRYING to GET ME STARTED?!?!?! 👿

Some of the huuuuge political or religion threads are well dull though.

I’ll get me coat. 😳

hora
    Free Member

STW forum users can’t be too bad though. This ‘Pistonhead’ forum user went to jail for beating up and abusing women..

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9695041.Jail_for_motor_dealer_who_abused__women/

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aye it’s dull without banter, folk should have a bit of a thick skin IMO.

Not finding any humour in for instance PF’s post above is a bit poor.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Some members of society are decidedly unusual. Just tune them out.

I try but its just so hard to ignore you and your beautiful manhood

Just don’t open them. You can pretty much guess what’s going on and who is posting once it reaches the second or third page

I must learn this skill 😳

zokes
    Free Member

STW forum users can’t be too bad though. This ‘Pistonhead’ forum user went to jail for beating up and abusing women..

Ever wondered where the mouthy mockney one is these days? 😉

kudos100, I think that’s the problem.
    You can moderate against swearing and outright abuse. It’s a lot harder to define the sort of behaviour that discourages people from posting here and stop it.

I realise a lot of it is banter, KingTut got a comment aimed at me deleted. I knew it was joke, but someone else obviously took it seriously and thought I needed protecting.

hora
    Free Member

Aye it’s dull without banter, folk should have a bit of a thick skin IMO.

That I DO agree with. Over 5yrs ago I used to cry with laughter at some of the posts. Witty/close to the bone etc etc.

DezB
    Free Member

glory to the God that is the bloke that invented mountain biking.

Woppit – you need to read that again if you see it as a religious comment.

Woody
    Free Member

Too nice is bloody boring IMO.

I don’t think you need to be nice, just not too offensive.

I hope you don’t mind me saying that TSY – my opinion only 8)

khani
    Free Member

If I wouldn’t say it to someones face I wouldn’t say it on here,
    But.. As above, nice is boring…but no need to be an arsehole…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Woppit – you need to read that again if you see it as a religious comment.

Excellent example of what we’re talking about. I was attempting “self-effacing humour” by trading on my reputation as an Atheist Firebrand…

Cougar

There are weightlifting forums…

and they don’t get bitchy? I don’t know why from my point of utter ignorance that surprises me.

Isn’t there a causal link between excessive testosterone and steroid abuse?

There’s also the “misunderstood humour” aspect.

I get that a lot. Ahem.

I’d strongly disagree with this. I think the moderation is a big part of what makes the forum. It’s largely self-moderating, in that people stepping out of line will get pulled up by the community; better that than having draconian moderators power-tripping all over the place. I’d rather hang out in a pub than a library.

Junkyard
    Free Member

whoppit was joking dez EDIT: wi wrote that before I read what he said so i dont appear dumb

What were we saying about not getting humour?

Basically you have 3000 people having a chat …bound to be some friction , not understanding, different humour etc

I agree I think the mods do a great job generally and wont please everyone

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Quote Warning: Use them. This thread’s moving fast.

camo16
    Free Member

Quote Warning: Use them. This thread’s moving fast.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve said it before, but in my experience STW is actually one of the best moderated and welcoming forums I frequent. Not sure what that says about the other forums I go on though… 😛

Woody
    Free Member

Fast but friendly. Just how it should be 😛

El-bent
    Free Member

I’ll get me coat.

I wish you would.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Why does STW forum attract so many of life's losers.’ is closed to new replies.