Viewing 27 posts - 241 through 267 (of 267 total)
  • Why do people wear baggy shorts?
  • convert

look like a right **** in lycra

Is it my imagination or is it the “baggies only” on this thread that have mainly had to resort to abusive language? I think the vitriol this issue seems to bring up in them says more about them than it does about the lycra wearers.

hoopdriver
    Free Member

B.A.Nana: Utter Toss. Are you S.K. (Bananaman-decked out all in yellow, not to be confused with S.K. the successful retired Irish road racer) that I remember from my KMC days? I’ll bump RS’s thread with a proper hello from 20 years back at some time.

Anyway, stop this bickering as I have returned from my ride with proper empirical results:

Only pair of baggies in wash, so 3/4 bibs was the utilitarian choice. Performance: Good. But passed a lady walking her dog and the dog very audibly wretched as I rode past. So I’m afraid it’s still very much 50/50.

Edric64
    Free Member

Baggy shorts are for those with a small knob who dont want it seen .Why else would you wear the baggy flappy water retaining overpriced things?

Oxboy
    Free Member

Apologies for the langauge.

Carry on this thread without me!

donsimon
    Free Member

Is it my imagination or is it the “baggies only” on this thread that have mainly had to resort to abusive language? I think the vitriol this issues seems to bring up in them says more about them than it does about the lycra wearers.

Yet on the mirror thread

Why is it lycra fans get so tetchy when questioned about their choice of riding atire?

nonk
    Free Member

my mrs just asked why it is that the ones who wear the functional stuff are being called gay by the ones who care more about how they look? 😆

Janesy
    Free Member

So it would seem;

Lycra wearers – it’s about comfort and efficiency on the bike.

Baggy wearers – it’s about image and lack of self confidence.
    Agreed ^^

I wear lycra when on the road bike and MTB bike. Baggies if going to the pub. OR meeting up with mates that are up for a more casual ride.

Let’s be honest. Lycra is more comfortable. I haven’t a beer gut and have good muscular legs so am not ashamed to wear it.

Nonk – hit the nail on the head 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

hoopdriver – Member
    B.A.Nana: Utter Toss.

🙂 Bah….. rumbled!.
    Genuinely, that’s the way I see it, for me anyway. What’s your take on it?. I noticed you say ‘utter toss’, but don’t offer anything more to what I said, other than a load of gibberish?. Personally, I don’t care what was going on in MBUK magazine in 1995, I was just riding my bike in the mountains.

rudedog
    Free Member

davidtaylforth

I mean how many miles do you do per week? If your doing 150+ then you’ll be wearing lycra, you wouldnt want to do it in baggy shorts. Any less than 100 per week and I’d say your not a serious cyclist really, just someone that’s basically bought into a lifestyle

Being a serious cyclist doesn’t sound like much fun to me. Certainly not if you end up with an outlook like yours.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

……in a pair of shorts and a bum bag, fashion conscious as always.
    And how can you say Utter Toss when I state from ‘ my personal experience’, do I know you?.

razor1548
    Free Member

my mrs just asked why it is that the ones who wear the functional stuff are being called gay by the ones who care more about how they look?

What kind of sissy boy hears his ‘mrs’ say something and runs and posts it on a forum? 🙂

razor1548
    Free Member

As someone who wears cheap tracksuit trousers when riding a bike I guess I am not allowed into either club. *sobbs*

grum
    Free Member

Is it my imagination or is it the “baggies only” on this thread that have mainly had to resort to abusive language? I think the vitriol this issue seems to bring up in them says more about them than it does about the lycra wearers.

Yeah there’s been only well reasoned argument on the other side.

Like this:

B.A.Nana: Utter toss.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ideally I would wear jeans or cotton shorts and a t. Just like I do off the bike. But long trousers are too warm and cotton are terrible in sweat and wet. Loose fitting poly shorts and top are a practical compromise. I accept that Lycra is very nice when wet but it’s too much like a cyclists uniform. I am self conscious about body shape to an extent too. I no more want to wear Lycra cycling than I want to wear a body stocking to the pub.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh! If only there was a program for cyclists like Wife Swap. Call it Lycra Swap, and over the course of an hour both tribes would end up accepting the others way of life after some initial teething problems.

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t find lycra comfortable because I’m squidgy and so look ridiculous in anything that hugs my body. I have a set of lycra undershorts that I sometimes wear on the road bike. They help a bit with chafing around the arse and such but I wouldn’t say they’re comfy as they’re not exactly breathable and the legs ride/bunch up and then start to chafe there.

For me, on a mtb or short (under 20 miles) road ride baggies and boxers are comfy enough!

I’ll wear lycra and I’ll go up real mountains wearing it.

😆 ok. Are you saying you can’t go up real mountains in baggies?

hoopdriver
    Free Member

“do I know you?” Er…probably not then.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i wear what i look best in, with a pot belly and chicken legs – that is not lycra. I can see the use of it but i look like a tvvat so avoid it.

julians
    Free Member

On the plane on the way back from majorca there was a bloke dressed in full team lycra still wearing his spd shoes and his bike sunglasses (no helmet though). I can sort of understand why he might of done it (but really , surely he could’ve got changed at the airport) but he still looked a plank and the people around me on the plane were commenting on it, but clearly he didnt care/was oblivious to it.

I wear baggy shorts and a t shirt regardless of how far I’m riding because I think that people wearing lycra look like planks, and I dont want to look like a plank. I also find no issue at all with comfort or chafing, so its a win/win situation.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Some excellent trolling in this thread and some worrying homophobia too.
    I don’t get the fear people have of wearing lycra and showing their bits, unless you arrange your penis and testicles to be obvious the padding means they are not on show.

Personal I like to disgust every one. I tend not to use padded shorts unless on a 50 + mile road ride. So off road it’s

Summer any old shorts, even cut of jeans, fine for anything up to about 50 miles.

Then to disgust both the baggy and the lycra brigade in the winter Ron hill tracksters!

LoveTubs
    Free Member

BTW I virtually ‘live’ in my Hummmvees….best ‘kash’ shorts I’ve had for a while……very good for climbing in too 😉

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Ron hills, nowt wrong with em…saying that they have to be losing their colour and to have shrunk a little in order to maximise the ”half-way up one’s calf” look.

Sing of real man, no grooming products either 😀

Euro
    Free Member

I don’t get this gay/lycra connection. The few lycra sufferers I know prefer children or animals.

Jamie
    Free Member

Some excellent trolling in this thread and some worrying homophobia too.

As opposed to the non-worrying kind.

thered

I wear baggies and always will after walking through my local town centre many years ago (for some reason which escapes me now) and having 2 young girls walk past me giggling and pointing at my k#@b.

I don’t care whether that suggests I’m hung like a donkey or like a squirrel but I didn’t enjoy it so it ain’t happening again.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ll tell you a story about lycra…

Many moons ago a young dwarf decided to take a quick afternoon spin out on the bike, so threw on his Smelly Hansen longsleeved base layer and a pair of old lycra shorts. Noticing a very small hole (size of a pea) in the front of the shorts he thought “they’ll be fine…”

He arrived a a very steep, narrow and cobbled bridleway approx 7 miles from his home and attempted to ride up it. He soon noticed that three ‘ladies of a certain age’ were coming the other way on horseback and, being a nice young dwarf decided to get out of the way by climbing onto the drystone wall and pulling the bike up after him (did i mention it was very steep and narrow?)
    Soon the first lady rider passed the young dwarf who was very polite and said “hello, lovely day isn’t it?”
    He wondered why the lady looked disgusted with him…

He said something similar to the next rider and again she looked at him with disgust and even horror…

The third lady rider looked like she was about to hit him with her riding crop!

When they had passed, the young dwarf shrugged and made some comment to himself about bloody rude horseriders.

He then started to climb down the wall and noticed to his horror and acute embarrassment tha the small ‘pea-sized hole’ in his lycra had opened out into a bloody great gaping hole and that he’d been stood on the wall with his genitals happily swinging in the breeze whilst greeting the three lady riders…

That, good people is why a certain older and wiser dwarf will never wear lycra on his mountain bikes ever again! 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

…or never give way for horse riders.

Viewing 27 posts - 241 through 267 (of 267 total)

The topic ‘Why do people wear baggy shorts?’ is closed to new replies.