Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 267 total)
  • Why do people wear baggy shorts?
  • Mackem

For the pockets.

convert

Anyone who thinks they look buff/cool/athletic in lycra needs to up their medication a bit. The words ‘badly stuffed sausage spring to mind

Not all of us have (or need to have) body image issues though. Some of us choose clothing by function. If I am paddling a kayak in a rough sea I’ll choose one set of clothes, if riding a bike I choose clothes that’ll do the job in those conditions and if trying to attract the ladeeez I’ll dig out a different set again.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

So it would seem;

Lycra wearers – it’s about comfort and efficiency on the bike.

Baggy wearers – it’s about image and lack of self confidence.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gonzy
    Free Member

scruff – the pics of the lovely ladies in lycra…aye carramba!!
    women in lycra are a good thing, but blokes in lycra can look so very wrong…just look at those dudes in the pic posted by uplink…that is so wrong on so many levels….

Haze

Pockets.

And there’s usually a lengthy spell in the pub at the end of the night.

Lycra only on the road bike.

wwaswas

women in lycra are a good thing, but blokes in lycra can look so very wrong

I think it just depends on the person, not their gender…

grum
    Free Member

So it would seem;

Lycra wearers – it’s about being able to expose your genitalia legally

Baggy wearers – it’s about wearing some shorts

if riding a bike I choose clothes that’ll do the job in those conditions

In what way do baggies not ‘do the job’. Personally I don’t usually wear lycra or a liner underneath anyway, just regular boxers. In fact sometimes I just wear my normal cargo shorts that I wear for non-biking too. :gasp:

njee20
    Free Member

Do you not find if you put anything in your pockets it knocks your thighs and weighs you down though? Far rather put things in a jersey pocket.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Pockets.

And there’s usually a lengthy spell in the pub at the end of the night.

Why the need for pockets, surely most baggy wearers also have enough pockets in there 40 litre camel hump?

hilldodger
    Free Member

So all the “I need my pocketsies” people presumably don’t ride with a rucksack as well then 😆

I like baggies, they let you distinguish between who’s worth racing up the next hill and who’s just dust eating fodder 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

i look good in lycra, but i don’t want everyone else to feel inadequate. And i wouldn’t describe my shorts as ‘baggy’ – they’re just shorts.

(quite a skinny fit really – they’re just not lycra)

as for my bloody great rucksack, where else am i going to put all these conkers/damsons/cherries/blackberrys/sloes/interesting stones?

convert

just look at those dudes in the pic posted by uplink…that is so wrong on so many levels….

That pic gets trawled out all the time – and always misses the point that they were taking the piss and “dug around” to drag up max sausage action for the camera.

grum
    Free Member

Do you not find if you put anything in your pockets it knocks your thighs and weighs you down though?

It weighs you down in your shorts but not your jersey? 😕

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Lycra wearers – it’s about comfort and efficiency on the bike.

Summed up! FWIW

Lycra wearers – Proper/decent cylists

Baggy wearers – Weekend warriors who dont have a clue, not true cyclists really, they just enjoy spending thousands on a hobby that they think will enhance their image/personality.

scruff
    Free Member

wwaswas – that leopard dumpling has the left arm of a tyrannosaurus rex 😛

hilldodger
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    … Far rather put things in a jersey pocket

I think the typical girth of a bagger makes reaching a jersey pocket pretty impractical 😆

binners

Dear god! How delusional are you? Every bloke, without a single exception, looks like a complete nob in lycra. FACT!

I wouldn’t go out in lycra for the same reason i wouldn’t go out in lederhosen. The end result is exactly the same. People will point at you and laugh. You can keep thinking they don’t, but they do

wwaswas

I suspect it’s an 8 year old girl and thus that arm is the only part of her body that’s age appropriately’ sized.

gonzy
    Free Member

wwaswas – thanks for correcting me…i can feel my weetabix at the back of my throat… 🙂
    convert…still looks wrong… 😯

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Baggy wearers don’t have jersey pockets though, they wear DH tops to hide the girth.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Some top trolling going on here.

*applauds*

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

Summed up! FWIW

Lycra wearers – Proper/decent cylists

Baggy wearers – Weekend warriors who dont have a clue, not true cyclists really, they just enjoy spending thousands on a hobby that they think will enhance their image/personality

You don’t half talk some shit. So people who wear baggies aren’t serious cyclists then? What a mong.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Dear god! How delusional are you? Every bloke, without a single exception, looks like a complete nob in lycra. FACT!

I look great in Lycra due to my legs of steel and my massive package. The ladies love it. FACT 😛

convert

In what way do baggies not ‘do the job’. Personally I don’t usually wear lycra or a liner underneath anyway, just regular boxers. In fact sometimes I just wear my normal cargo shorts that I wear for non-biking too. :gasp:

What sort of riding do you do grum – i.e. hours/miles in the saddle a day? If you can handle 6+ hrs cycling (cycling mind, not propping up a gate post or a pub bench) in wet boxers you must have an undercarriage made of cow hid!

GW
    Free Member

Do you not find if you put anything in your pockets it knocks your thighs and weighs you down though? Far rather put things in a jersey pocket.

as opposed to tugging the neck of your jersey and knocking against your lower back? WTFs your point?

wrecker
    Free Member

I ride in a t-shirt, shorts and trainers. Some do out in skin tight suits with team logos (most don’t belong to the team), small genitals on display, Oakley radars, clippy shoes and gel packs for a two hour rip around their local trail centre proper cyclists? ATGNI more like.

donsimon
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks they look buff/cool/athletic in lycra cycling kit needs to up their medication a bit. The words ‘badly stuffed sausage spring to mind

Wouldn’t this only apply to fat biffers though?

grum
    Free Member

Here’s why people wear lycra:

Alright Lads

I have recently taken up road bike trainning and have purchased my lovely Lycra short! When out trainning I have noticed an alarming amount of men looking in the general direction of my crotch. Beleive me I am not claiming any %&*$# star qualities here but I would say at least 80% of men looked in comparison to 20% of women.

I found this really weird but on thinking about it later I suppose I would look at another mans speedos in the pool and just yesterday looked at a cyclist shorts. I would like to point out that I am a happily married man.

Anyway – do you think all men have a little gay in them or is this checking out a comparison / alpha male thing?

Your honest thoughts please.

Cheers

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/community/forums/thread/497488

GW
    Free Member

I’ll bet most of you really don’t need to carry half the stuff you “seem to” on rides.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

as opposed to tugging the neck of your jersey and knocking against your lower back? WTFs your point?

A good fitting XC (or road)jersey won’t have this problem.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

I wear as much clothing as possible whilst biking (this includes baggies)- it gives me the non-sensical reassurance that if I fall off I won’t hurt myself as much. Thus I must wear my fluorescent rain jacket whilst attempting any jump because it feels like extra body armour 😕

nickf
    Free Member

I look great in Lycra due to my legs of steel and my massive package. The ladies I meet in the woods love it. FACT

There you go, it says what you really meant now.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You don’t half talk some shit. So people who wear baggies aren’t serious cyclists then?

Pretty much. Obviously there are some exceptions i.e. downhill riders.

I mean how many miles do you do per week? If your doing 150+ then you’ll be wearing lycra, you wouldnt want to do it in baggy shorts. Any less than 100 per week and I’d say your not a serious cyclist really, just someone that’s basically bought into a lifestyle.

GW
    Free Member

Hmmm.. magical lycra?

GTF! of course it will!

🙄

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As and when I notice I’d say it’s a 50/50 split between men and women ogling my crotch when I’m in Lycra.

However women are totally bemused by my cycling shoes for some reason*.

*proper ones with buckles and carbon soles, not the silly trainer types that baggy wearers wear.

grum
    Free Member

Any less than 100 per week and I’d say your not a serious cyclist

You do 100 miles per week off road? I seem to remember seeing you say you barely ride your mtb these days. No wonder you love lycra so much. 😛

KINGTUT
    Free Member

GW – Member

Hmmm.. magical lycra?

GTF! of course it will!

No it doesn’t.

Haze

Why the need for pockets, surely most baggy wearers also have enough pockets in there 40 litre camel hump?

Wallet, keys, phone. The rest spread between jersey pocket and saddle bag.

I rarely use the “40 litre camel hump” 😀

GW
    Free Member

david, I’ve happily done a 100+ mile ride on the roadbike in trousers.
    I wasn’t racing so why would I need to don lycra?

uplink
    Free Member

I wear Lycra on the road bike, but then again, I never get off it during rides

I suppose Speedo ‘budgie smugglers’ are the optimum attire for swimming but I suspect most wouldn’t wear them at the local pool**

Why not?

**unless some silly French rule compels it

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 267 total)

The topic ‘Why do people wear baggy shorts?’ is closed to new replies.