Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 267 total)
  • Why do people wear baggy shorts?
  • convert

Do the compulsive baggie wearers in all and every occasion also wear baggie shorts in the pool rather than a speedo or a jammer(think lycra bike shorts)?

If I was to get in a pool for a splash about (which I never do) I might wear baggies but for a proper swim training session I’d never consider it in a million years as it completely ruins your stroke. I suspect the binners of this world would choose the baggie swim route always despite this fact.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I wasn’t racing so why would I need to don lycra?

Its more comfortable?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You do 100 miles per week off road? I seem to remember seeing you say you barely ride your mtb these days. No wonder you love lycra so much

Damn, I’ve been outed. Yes, Im a gay roadie who loves wearing lycra shorts.

The only reason I go out on my road bike is so I’ve got a decent excuse to put on my lycra, what I really enjoy is getting home and lounging around the house in it, or going to the Co op for a loaf of bread.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Wallet, keys, phone. The rest spread between jersey pocket and saddle bag.

Saddle bag, pfft have you no shame?

grum
    Free Member

If I was to get in a pool for a splash about (which I never do)

No I bet you don’t, because just splashing about would be for losers – every time you do anything you do it to the MAX!!! Serious business!!!

GW
    Free Member

No it doesn’t.

the pockets are stretchy lycra, not some magical item grabbing suspension material, any weighty contents pull on the jersey (gravity?) and for MTB riding no matter what you carry in there it’ll move around.
    I still have lycra road and mtb jerseys from when I was considerably thinner even if I put one on that’d look like it was sprayed on the physics wouldn’t change. 🙄

prezet
    Free Member

I wear baggies so I don’t make you lycra guys feel jealous about my incredibly large appendage.

I do it for YOUR self esteem – you can thank me in beer tokens. 😀

Mike_D
    Free Member

I’ll bet most of you really don’t need to carry half the stuff you “seem to” on rides.

Guilty. I cite epic laziness in my defence — CBA to go through (relatively compact) pack before a ride chucking out things I don’t need or adding things I might, so it’s pretty much in “big day out in the hills” mode all the time.

I often do quick local loops with nothing but keys, though. Only had to walk home once 😉

hilldodger
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

Any less than 100 per week and I’d say your not a serious cyclist really, just someone that’s basically bought into a lifestyle

I think the phrase that came up earlier in the week “Pony trekkers on wheels” applies 😆

KINGTUT
    Free Member

he pockets are stretchy lycra, not some magical item grabbing suspension material, any weighty contents pull on the jersey (gravity?) and for MTB riding no matter what you carry in there it’ll move around.
    I still have lycra road and mtb jerseys from when I was considerably thinner even if I put one on that’d look like it was sprayed on the physics wouldn’t change

Well I don’t have any of the problems you mentioned, perhaps I’m just special.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

So you’re saying that anyone who does less than 100 miles a week is not a real cyclist now, as well as people who wear baggies? What next; those who use Camelbaks rather than water bottles can’t class themselves as a true cyclist?

Not that it matters, but I do nowhere near 100 miles a week. I ride at the weekends only because (a) I work from home so have no need to commute (and even if I did go to the office, it’s a 90 mile round trip) and (b) I work 10+ hours a day, meaning that I’m knackered when I finish. I only ever wear baggies because I can’t see the point in lycra (what are the advantages then?) and yes, I have a Camelbak. I also never ride on the road unless it’s required to get from one trail to the other. I also quite often ride in the Surrey Hills. Oh, and I am in mid-Management in IT, working for an Investment Bank.

By your standards then, I’m not a real cyclist, I’m just riding for the image. Is that right?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

prezet – Member

I wear baggies so I don’t make you lycra guys feel jealous about my incredibly large appendage.

I do it for YOUR self esteem – you can thank me in beer tokens

You are assuming we would look at your crotch? This would lead me to think that you (secretly) want us to look at it.

RustySpanner

I’m a bit of a fat knacker and tend to just wear lycra these days.
    It’s much more pleasant in the wet, rubs less, dont have to pull them up every ten minutes and I really, really couldn’t care less what anyone else thinks.

I wore baggies for years off road and I really have no idea why.
    Fashion I suppose.

My partner reckons I scare small children, but, like Binners, she’s much more self aware than I am.

I’m hung like a baby rabbit/sweetcorn anyway, so really have nothing to hide 😀

binners

Remember:

That’s my camelbak, that is. I have probably got a canoe in there somewhere.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m just ordering some winter tights….go me!

GW
    Free Member

Its more comfortable?
    No it isn’t!
    see, we’re not all the same! I pretty much hate padded shorts (other than ones with the absolute minimum amount of padding) too, but some knobber will no doubt tell me these are an absolutely essential requirement to do a certain number of miles. 🙄

prezet
    Free Member

prezet – Member

I do it for YOUR self esteem – you can thank me in beer tokens

You are assuming we would look at your crotch? This would lead me to think that you (secretly) want us to look at it.

You’d look at it. It’d be hard to miss it. And you’d love it. 😀

grum
    Free Member

I think the phrase that came up earlier in the week “Pony trekkers on wheels” applies

I’m not sure why people think mileage is some indicator of being a ‘real’ mountain biker (whatever that means). Mincing in your lycra for 100s of miles a week round roads or boring flat bridleways proves nothing other than that you like wearing lycra. 🙂

convert

No I bet you don’t, because just splashing about would be for losers – every time you do anything you do it to the MAX!!! Serious business!!!

Going for a splash about would be for those with kids to entertain or “entertaining” a group of swedish 20 somethings in a private pool with champagne bar. Sadly no kids and my frolicking with the ladeez days are long gone. That leaves club training sessions or lane swimming in a public pool. Harding max rad action but actually involves proper swimming and proper swimming in baggies is crap.

kimbers

i wear baggies because lycra looks naff

its as simple as that really

unless you spend your time locked in a basement waiting for ving rhames and bruce willis to tumble down your stairs, there is no reason to dress like a gimp

however if you are so inclined just head over to http://www.spandexguys.com (nsfw) and have some fun

wwaswas

convert earlier;

GW
    Free Member

stopadoodledoo – I think the correct term for people like yourself is “weekend Warrior”, think I read it on the internet somewhere so it must be true 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

By your standards then, I’m not a real cyclist, I’m just riding for the image. Is that right?

Thats what it sounds like judging by your last post. 10+ hour days? What are you playing at? You should be racking up the miles in your quest to become a true cyclist.

Haze

And here’s me thinking you were championing lycra’s practicality.

binners

GO JAMIE!!!! YAY!!!

convert

wwaswas – your promised when you took that, that it was just for you for special times and you would not share. I feel violated!

Klunk
    Free Member

did 185 miles last week in Baggies and “silly trainer types” but then again i would want to be considered “proper”.

mrmo
    Free Member

I only ever wear baggies because I can’t see the point in lycra (what are the advantages then?)

Lycra, lighter, more aerodynamic, doesn’t flap around etc. So if your racing it is a no brainer. Have you ever seen a speed-skier or a top end swimmer wearing flappy clothing, and even at 15mph aerodynamics do start to figure, why waste energy, ride further, ride faster, ride more.

For non racing, it is more comfortable, no extra seams to rub, in hot weather less clothing layers is usually a good idea, for riding move back off the saddle nothing to get caught up on the nose of the saddle. Closer fitting clothing doesn’t tend to attract thorns as much,

Then there is less to wash when you get home, less layers mean less trashing of the washing machine, etc.

wwaswas

I feel violated!

You feel violated?

I’m the one who had to go into google images and search for mankini!

My eyeballs are still suffering.

njee20
    Free Member

Its more comfortable?
    No it isn’t!
    see, we’re not all the same! I pretty much hate padded shorts (other than ones with the absolute minimum amount of padding) too, but some knobber will no doubt tell me these are an absolutely essential requirement to do a certain number of miles

To be fair everyone’s the same, and you’re different. I truly can’t think of anything worse than a hundred mile + road ride in casual clothing. I find it miserable for 2 miles. As previously stated you must have a crotch made of cow hide to not have your scrotum dripping blood after 5+ hours of all those seams…

Jerseys aren’t lycra anyway, I don’t really get that, with the possible exception of a skinsuit, which is totally different anyway. A good fitting jersey keeps things in your pockets in place, so they don’t knock around. I’ve never had my neck chafed by a jersey, often carry a full bottle in my jersey pocket too.

My comment re things in baggy shorts ‘weighing you down’ was a genuine query, although perhaps I phrased it wrong, I meant more that it’s bouncing up and down with every pedal stroke. I know when I’ve worn overshorts and put things in the pockets they absolutely do my head in.

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

End of the day, does anyone actually ride for the image? At the end of the day, we are a bunch of adults riding around the woods on bicycles and be that wearing skin tight gay glothes or baggy dude clothes, we look like utter belms to each and every person out there who doesn’t ride a bicycle for fun. Remember, if you think you are cool, you most definitely are not.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Stopadoodledoo – Member
    So you’re saying that anyone who does less than 100 miles a week is not a real cyclist now, as well as people who wear baggies? What next; those who use Camelbaks rather than water bottles can’t class themselves as a true cyclist?

Not that it matters, but I do nowhere near 100 miles a week. I ride at the weekends only because (a) I work from home so have no need to commute (and even if I did go to the office, it’s a 90 mile round trip) and (b) I work 10+ hours a day, meaning that I’m knackered when I finish. I only ever wear baggies because I can’t see the point in lycra (what are the advantages then?) and yes, I have a Camelbak. I also never ride on the road unless it’s required to get from one trail to the other. I also quite often ride in the Surrey Hills. Oh, and I am in mid-Management in IT, working for an Investment Bank.

You’ve been well and truly sprung there Jason 😉

GW
    Free Member

To be fair everyone’s the same, and you’re different. I truly can’t think of ….. Blah blah

narrowmindedman returns 🙄

but just to humour you, it depends what’s in your pocket, where the pocket is and how it’s constructed (and the rider for that matter)

convert

Trying to “pretend” now you had to search for it and didn’t take it yourself this very morning is fine – but I know different. The Mankini “hammock” still smells of you!

You’ll be making your own dinner tonight!

mrmo
    Free Member

End of the day, does anyone actually ride for the image? At the end of the day, we are a bunch of adults riding around the woods on bicycles and be that wearing skin tight gay glothes or baggy dude clothes, we look like utter belms to each and every person out there who doesn’t ride a bicycle for fun. Remember, if you think you are cool, you most definitely are not.

EXACTLY! so why are people so wrapped up in what they look like, we are cyclists, the average member of the public regards us as a bunch of freaks, lycra or baggy neither is a good look. Hence i wear lycra because it does the job better.

binners

Spot on Stopadoodledoo. Riding bikes is about as ‘cool’ as bumming dogs.

And if you think any different – and clearly some people on here do – then…..erm… then…. you probably bum dogs. Or summink. So there! 😛

GW
    Free Member

End of the day, does anyone actually ride for the image?

Of course they do! FFS! 🙄

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Haze – Member

And here’s me thinking you were championing lycra’s practicality.

I am, but saddle bags? Well I suppose so if you must.

kimbers

mrmo ive done a few races and i can guarantee that my wearing baggies has not affected my finishing position

my baggies are perfectly comfortable, they dont rub or overheat, they dont get caught on the saddle or any other of the perceived disadvantages you have concocted

best of all i dont look like a gimp!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Baggies+padded boxers NOT lycra for MTB. Too sweaty to have lycra undershorts and the baggies, padded boxers are just right. I like that my baggies are more durable, I wouldn’t fancy a tumble in lycra and then have to get home with my cheeks out.

Lycra for the road. At least the riding position conceals the ermm… unborns and boomstick.

Maybe pure XC suits lycra alone but for more burly riding it doesn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 267 total)

The topic ‘Why do people wear baggy shorts?’ is closed to new replies.