Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 267 total)
  • Why do people wear baggy shorts?
  • njee20
    Free Member

Nope, sorry, riding with your saddle down (as you implied I should try) is harder. It may be a bit more controlled on the descents, but it’s harder to ride, considering one has to ride up the hills too. I’m not particularly interested in making it harder for myself! If you want to, that’s fine, I’m clearly not as fit as you, and find the terrain sufficiently challenging without such adaptations.

muddy@rseguy

Baggy Shorts or Lycra?

well I dont care either way as its really a matter of personal taste. Just remember that its not an either/or question… you all have an alternative….

rusty90
    Free Member

A Gentleman in the mountains … should be appropriately attired at all times

Apparently some of these new ‘sports’ climbers don’t even wear ties 😮

grum
    Free Member

A Gentleman in the mountains … should be appropriately attired at all times

Maybe this is the point, most of these lycra-freaks don’t actually ride their bikes in the mountains. 😉

GW
    Free Member

OMG! the world according to Njee must be a **** scary place, but i s’pose the blinkers will help a bit 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe this is the point, most of these lycra-freaks don’t actually ride their bikes in the mountains instead of standing in the car park, propping up fence posts, rummaging in their oversized Camelbaks, discussing how rad they are and then retiring to the pub after 200 yards

Spot on!

C’mon then GW, explain your point? You said that you don’t put your saddle up to ride 5 miles, and that I should try it as I may have more fun. I’m not sure how you’re qualified to comment on the amount of fun I’m having. Please explain this further. Also I’d like to know how I’m blinkered? Email in profile if you prefer!

gamo
    Free Member

Lycra and Baggies pah! tailored tweed is what everyone should be wearing.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Jeez, this thread encapsulates everything I love and hate about this forum in one place. Good work.

The question is, does it really matter?

grum
    Free Member

Go on then njee20, when was the last time you rode your bike on a mountain (not just round and round a muddy field 😉 )?

njee20
    Free Member

The question is, does it really matter?

Of course not! It’s a forum about a minority sport! But it’s been very active, and kept me entertained at work!

deviant
    Free Member

I wear ordinary sports shorts on the bike….the same ones i wear in the gym, playing squash etc….about medium length, quick drying synthetic material and come with the netting/lining on the inside thus negating the need for lycra and/or underwear….usually cost about a fiver from any sports shop.

The idea of spending £50+ on cycling specific baggies has to be one of the biggest cons going…..seriously Alpinestars, Fox etc must be laughing all the way to the bank.

grum
    Free Member

The idea of spending £50+ on cycling specific baggies has to be one of the biggest cons going…..seriously Alpinestars, Fox etc must be laughing all the way to the bank.

Agreed, don’t think I’ve ever paid more than £20 for a pair of shorts. I saw some that cost £85 the other day!

philconsequence
    Free Member

wow, what a delightful thread.

i wear baggies cos i fall off loads and ride in the woods.

i dont wear lycra cos, unlike some people, i think of the children.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Of course not! It’s a forum about a minority sport!

Pfft, minority! here in Bristol because of the new trails every man and his dog has taken up Mtbing, it’s a sea of baggies, 100 litre camel humps and peaked helmets.

njee20
    Free Member

😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sums it up. But if image is that important to you, I guess you have to cough up. I imagine most baggy short owners probably own several fox/alpinestars/sombrio casual items of clothing aswell.

billysugger
    Free Member

Lycra’s so this morning.

I wrap myself in a layer of cling film. I’m so fast I’m giving myself a hard on.

whatnobeer ^ for the win

grum
    Free Member

Go on then njee20, when was the last time you rode your bike on a mountain (not just round and round a muddy field?

*deafening silence*

bikebouy
    Free Member

5 pages!!
    Lycra, black only, on the roadie, lycra and baggies when offroad. Reason? simple, brambles, thorns, ferns, thick undergrowth that thrash me and my shorts, I just want a little extra protection see. I’ve not ridden an XC race in a long while, but if I did I guess lycra only.

kudos100
    Free Member

Because lycra = wrong.

The guys who race the TDF could wear fairy suits if it made them go faster and no one would care as they are hard as nails. Same with elite level xc racers, and top swimmers and athletes.

You don’t see sunday swimmers going to the pool in skin suits do you?

Unless you are racing (where every second counts), then there is no excuse. If you want to look like you have just got off one of the floats at gay pride, fare enough. (Nothing against homosexuals, I have been to pride and it is great fun 😀 )

Straight men who dress up in lycra and shave their legs for a sunday ride should be ashamed of themselves 😛

njee20
    Free Member

I won a pair of expensive Fox baggies at a race, I wear them as casual shorts, very nice they are too!

Sorry Grum, I didn’t see your post. There is no true defintion of a mountain, so it’s a hard one to answer really! Been a while I guess though, but I’ve not spent time not cycling on mountains either 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I wrap myself in a layer of cling film. I’m so fast I’m giving myself a hard on.

Cling film is rubbish if you fall off, I prefer a good wrap of duck tape.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

*deafening silence*

😀

grum
    Free Member

You don’t see sunday swimmers going to the pool in skin suits do you?

This is the thing, what some (not all, but most of the ones in this thread) lycra wearers are really saying is ‘look at me, look at me, I’m a SERIOUS cyclist, not like those other guys’.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

njee20 – Member

I won a pair of expensive Fox baggies at a race, I wear them as casual shorts, very nice they are too!

‘Extreme casual’ use only I hope?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Not read the 3 pages inbetween 1 and 5 but the reason I (thats me, not anyone else) wears baggies instead of lycra is because of my answer on page 1. I don’t want to look like some kind of oddball deviant whilst sitting having my coffee and cake after/during a ride. That and I find the pockets useful. And the utter rubbish some people spout about people wearing baggies only because everyone else does… no. I suppose you walk around starkers purely because everyone else wears clothes?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Any serious mountain bikers will wear lycra whilst posting on STW.

I’m wearing Skins compression tights with POC knee and shin guards right now. This is because I’m better than you. FACT.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

This is the thing, what some (not all, but most of the ones in this thread) lycra wearers are really saying is ‘look at me, look at me, I’m a SERIOUS cyclist, not like those other guys’

To be fair there are quite a few MAMILs out there who think wearing the latest team strip will give them a couple of extra MPH but they annoy even us lycra wearing types.

They always seem annoyed when a rotund bloke in ill fitting lycra on an old touring bike passes them on an uphill section of road…

grum
    Free Member

Sorry Grum, I didn’t see your post. There is no true defintion of a mountain, so it’s a hard one to answer really! Been a while I guess though

Thought as much.

Maybe if you were a ‘real mountain biker’ you’d understand the need for normal shorts (and a Camelbak). It can get pretty cold up on an actual mountain so you need some spare clothes, you can be in remote places so you might need spares/tools/first aid kit, and you might be riding difficult, steep, rocky trails where you might want pads/baggies (especially if you like to ride rather than just walking down tech sections).

Of course when you are just running with your bike riding round and round a field in Sussex it’s a bit different.

🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

mountain: a really big hill, steep, with rocky bits.

prezet
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPyNcOzFSjE[/video]

Look! not a piece of lycra in sight. And I bet he’s a damn sight faster than all of you…

BRB – off to get hob-nobs.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is it just my silly memory or haven’t skinsuits been banned in DH despite the top riders wanting to wear them?

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe if you were a ‘real mountain biker’ you’d understand the need for normal shorts (and a Camelbak). It can get pretty cold up on an actual mountain so you need some spare clothes, you can be in remote places so you might need spares/tools/first aid kit, and you might be riding difficult, steep, rocky trails where you might want pads/baggies (especially if you like to ride rather than just walking down tech sections).

Spare clothes and bits yep, can understand that, makes sense. Pads and baggies? Nah, you’re alright!

Let’s be honest though, most people aren’t talking about mountains, and most people don’t ride on mountains, most people are, at best, riding trail centre-esque trails, be them actually at a trail centre, or in the ‘wilderness’, and people make a judgment based on their feelings about armour.

Were I wearing armour, I’d probably go for baggies too, but that’s well out of my comfort zone!

Not too sure where the stuff about my walking down tech sections comes from, just because I engage in the (numerous recent) debates about XC racing. I’m not one for walking down (or up) things unnecessarily at all, what’s the point? Where’s the fun!? I can’t remember the last thing I did walk down whilst riding. Doesn’t mean I deem armour necessary for my riding though. Plenty of people do, which is fine. Maybe I just don’t plan to crash, it’s not like armour helps until you do 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

I don’t want to look like some kind of oddball deviant whilst sitting having my coffee and cake after/during a ride

Take note lycra wearers, think of the children!!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Is it just my silly memory or haven’t skinsuits been banned in DH despite the top riders wanting to wear them?

Yes and that was a stupid arguement by the UCI

yunki
    Free Member

lycra’s a billion times cheaper, comfier and more practical than baggies.. especially when riding down rocks..

However.. for the sake of propriety I have recently invested in baggy shorts ‘cos if I’m honest, my budgie smugglers made even me feel a bit queasy..

hilton83
    Free Member

I’m 28 and so have been riding for around 26 ish years Lycra has never stood out as something I want to ride in so I ride in standard plain baggy shorts, not because I am or ever have been fat but because I’ve never felt the need for Lycra, I’m not out riding to look like a cyclist of mtb’er, I’m not after a certain image to fit in, im not a weekend warrior ( whatever one of those is, we all ride weekends right!?)and I don’t think if my shorts snag my seat I’m going to lose valuable seconds in a race, I’m not a pro athlete, I just enjoy riding my bike as often and as fast as possible, and when I stop of for a pint of milk on the way home in my normal shorts and a t shirt I don’t look like I’ve wandered off from some olympic village. Why would you want a replica jersey anyway these companies aren’t paying you to wear their shitty shirt made to look like a baked beans can.

brakes
    Free Member

hilton83 +1
    nail on head

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Lycra is more practical when going fast 18mph+, nothing flapping around etc.

baggies just look better and for a lot of people are more comfortable and mean you can put stuff in your pockets.

Road + Mtb Racing = Lyrca
    Casual + fashion concious = Baggies

thomthumb
    Free Member

I don’t want to look like some kind of oddball deviant whilst sitting having my coffee and cake after/during a ride

i do so i wear old worn out lycra that you can see through if the sun is out 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 267 total)

The topic ‘Why do people wear baggy shorts?’ is closed to new replies.