Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 267 total)
  • Why do people wear baggy shorts?
  • scottalej
    Free Member

I never saw the attraction as you still have to wear lycra shorts or liner underneath anyway. I don’t normally wear two pairs of trousers so why should I wear two pairs of shorts on the bike? I tried them once but they were just awkward, flapped about and snagged the saddle.
    Is it just a case of ‘everyone else wears them’?

wwaswas

do you wear a pair of pants and then some trousers?

that’s lycra+baggies.

if I wanted to just wear me pants I’d get speedos and spectate at the TdF.

[Edit] lycra and knee pads just looks wrong too.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Its because I don’t want to look like a sex offender whilst in public.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I feel a bit exposed when riding in just lycra, reckon the baggies give me a some padding if I fall off, plus it looks better imo

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

You think that’s weird you should see wakeboarders. Boardshorts over a wetsuit. Bizarre!

slowrider
    Free Member

daveyboywonder +1

njee20
    Free Member

The public think you look weird regardless, baggies make no difference! If it makes one feel better then so be it. Personally, I’m not fat 🙂

wwaswas

Also, I can ride slowly in baggies and feel alright.

Wearign lycra always made me think I had to be riding fast all the time. Bimbling and lycra don’t go well together.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Oh and for the record I agree with the OP. Lycra on it own does the job perfectly well.

GW
    Free Member

as you still have to wear lycra shorts or liner underneath anyway

says who? no you don’t.

uplink
    Free Member

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you’re fat and/or uncomfortable in your own skin then they make sense.

I just wear lycra shorts, comfier and I get to look like a sex offender!

binners

Why do people wear baggy shorts?

So I don’t look like an utter ****!

Anyone who leaves the house only in lycra needs a crash course in self-awareness! What do you think you look like? A finely tuned athlete?

Wrong! You look like a burst cushion! Buy a mirror and get a grip!

Freester

Don’t want to put the regulars down my pub off their food when I stop in for my post ride pint.

gamo
    Free Member

Weird idea but maybe they like them!

njee20
    Free Member

I just wear lycra shorts, comfier and I get to look like people realise that I am a sex offender!

🙂

says who? no you don’t.

You don’t have to, but if you want any sort of decent padding then you kinda do…

scruff
    Free Member

Right

Wrong

glenh
    Free Member

you still have to wear lycra shorts or liner underneath anyway.

Why?
    Can’t I just wear a normal pair of shorts, that aren’t made of lycra? Or is there some law against it?

spacemonkey

Lycra and baggies for me. Always has been (on the MTB anyway).

Used to be lycra only in my road days years ago, but I’ll go with L&B when I pick it back up one day too.

MSP

1, to protect lycra shorts from crash damage, and brambles.
    2, pockets are handy for rides including beer stops
    3, not to look like a sex offender
    4, I seem to have grown accustomed to riding more relaxed wearing baggies, I wear lycra for training rides and races.

njee20
    Free Member

Anyone who leaves the house only in lycra needs a crash course in self-awareness! What do you think you look like? A finely tuned athlete?

Wrong! You look like a burst cushion! Buy a mirror and get a grip!

Whilst the public think you look like you’ve just stepped off the catwalk in your flapping baggy shorts, massive rucksack, bulbous helmet and daft sunglasses. You get a grip FFS!

convert

I’ve gone back to just lycra for 90% of my mtbing (which is pretty placid) and reserve the baggies to be worn when there is a real chance of falling off or pushing through lots of brambles. When road riding I have always worn an undervest of some type as the rub of one layer of fabric over another saves some road rash in a spill – I figure it works the same with baggies over lycra.

Agreed though – anything xc-a-like is better done sans baggies as long as you are not too sensitive about what the image obsessed think of you. Baggies seem to be an british thing – the europeans and even the kiwis and yanks don’t seem to feel the need when riding xc like rides.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Baggy shorts came in as mountain biking became more mainstream with the resultant influx of, shall we say, ‘stout’ riders. When I started out all cyclists wore lycra, all this were fields, etc, etc.

grum
    Free Member

She still looks like she’s wearing incontinence pads though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I just wear lycra shorts, comfier and I get to look like people realise that I am a sex offender!

Its made worse by the fact I have to stuff a couple of pairs of socks down the front of my shorts aswell.

wrecker
    Free Member

Bare Lycra should never be worn by men. It’s horrible. Maybe we all look daft, baggy shorts allow us to look far less so.

njee20
    Free Member

anything xc-a-like is better done sans baggies

You mean what 99% of people ride?

Its made worse by the fact I have to stuff a couple of pairs of socks down the front of my shorts aswell.

😆

GW
    Free Member

Whilst the public think you look like you’ve just stepped off the catwalk in your flapping baggy shorts, massive rucksack, bulbous helmet and daft sunglasses. You get a grip FFS!

Oi! naqrrowminded dude, there’s not just 2 options you know?
    I don’t wear any of the shit you listed.

rOcKeTdOg

I cant keep my sarnies in lycra shorts

Big-Dave
    Free Member

What do you think you look like? A finely tuned athlete?

I know I look quite the opposite but cycling round in baggy shorts that flap around just seems rather stupid when on a bike.

scruff
    Free Member

Very very right.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Lycra for winners, baggies for losers.

GW
    Free Member

cheer up luv ^^

😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

GW – Member

cheer up luv ^^

She probably realised that photo would be slobbered over whilst fat IT Managers in baggies spaffed themselves dry.

ChrisA66
    Free Member

Whilst on a skills course a few months ago with about 8 others I asked “why do people wear baggy shorts instead of just lycra shorts nowadays, when they can tend to get caught on the nose of your saddle, etc” to be told by the couurse leader that it was because “Lycra shorts are gay”. I hope he meant in the “lame” sense of the word! Personally, I always thought that decent lycra shorts did a good enough job on their own. I guess that baggy shorts are de riguer because everyone else wears them – the old circle of fashion phenomenon

binners

Erm… I look like a **** all the time, but at least I realise it. Its called self-awareness. Getting dressed tends to be an exercise in damage limitation, so why the **** would i wear clothing that made out of the same material sported by gymnasts and 80’s heavy metal bands? Oh… and sex offenders

Anyone who thinks they look buff/cool/athletic in lycra needs to up their medication a bit. The words ‘badly stuffed sausage spring to mind

donsimon
    Free Member

@ uplink and the Poles… If you’ve got it, flaunt it.

alfabus
    Free Member

i choose depending on the bike:

road bike – lycra
    hardtail – lycra or baggies (normally depending on whether a pub is involved)
    full suss – baggies

could also be seen as decided based on what i’m carrying:
    road bike – bottles on frame, stuff in jersey pockets
    hardtail – bottles and jersey pockets (for a whippet ride) or a camelback for day rides, or when i’ll need a jacket (night ride to pub)
    full suss – camelback (no bottle cages on full suss).

camelback and lycra feels wrong.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Baggies for me, unless it’s very, very hot and I’m riding in a sparsely populated area.

Although I’m not out of shape by any means, I’d rather spare the general public the sight of me in lycra unless it’s absolutely necessary.

[ninja edit] although baggies and an MX top make for harder going on a windy day.

njee20
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks they look buff/cool/athletic in lycra cycling kit needs to up their medication a bit. The words ‘badly stuffed sausage spring to mind

FTFY.

I know exactly how I look, but I’ll continue to wear the most appropriate kit for what I’m doing!

Cycling isn’t a ‘cool’ sport – there’s even an article on the BBC today about it.

As I said before though, I’m not fat. Perhaps if I was I’d feel more embarassed and wear baggies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 267 total)

The topic ‘Why do people wear baggy shorts?’ is closed to new replies.