Home Forums Chat Forum Whole home streaming (audio)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Whole home streaming (audio)
  • toby1

Ok, I’ve tried Yamaha devices, and wiim devices now too. Wiim are great when they work, but ultimately I now have 4 that work when they want to and disconnect when they feel like it (some wireless some hard-wired, they just drop connection to the network for no obvious reason). Sonos I don’t really like as I have speakers and amps already, also, they’ve lost the plot app-wise recently and it was already bad.

My wants – stream BBC radio sync’d around the house/4 rooms/devices plus 2 outdoors, one for the garden, one for the garage. Idelaly reliable enough that it plays for the dog if she’s home alone too, as at the moment it just drops and goes silent after 2 minutes.

Has anyone got a solution like this that actually works consistently?

the-muffin-man

If utlimate sound quality isn’t the aim then we just use Amazon Echo Dots. Work fine – just tell the one in each room what you want to play.

Sound is decent for radio and they don’t drop connection. At the weekend ours in the kitchen is often on all day.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Surprised about the Wiim’s? I have had 2 and both have performed perfectly. Although not in multi room mode.

Before you spend any money, I would submit a ticket to Wiim, their support is very good.

Also, have a look on here https://forum.wiimhome.com/ very helpful.

stumpy01

We’ve got one of those small Google speakers, an Onkyo smart speaker with Google & a couple of Chromecast audios around the house (one hooked up to an Audiopro speaker & the other plugged into my old NAD amp). I’ve got them all added to a group called ‘Entire House’ in the Google Home app and can send music/radio etc. to all of them at the same time.

I’ve also got an ‘upstairs’ and ‘downstairs’ group. It works well.
    Every now & again it won’t connect, but I think that is more to do with Spotify than anything else, as I never seem to have the same issue when using BBC Sounds.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Not an issue I’ve heard about with Wiim. I also have a mini and an amp. Zero issues. Even when linking both together and syncing them. I love it. House wide drum and bass!!!

Not even seen this as a large scale issue on the Wiim forums either. I’d suspect the issue is within your network, rather than all 4 devices being dodgy.

Do you have a mesh network at home? There’s an option (toggle) in settings for this, in the Wiim app.

Do the cable connected devices also drop out? Or is it just the wifi ones? and all running the latest firmwares?

Caher

I’ve never had any issues with Sonos  – they messed the app up but it’s slowly getting back to what is was.

flyingmonkeycorps

We use Google speakers. Obviously not super high quality audio (although Tidal > Chromecast Audio > big stereo is pretty decent).

They’re great when they work. Which is most of the time, but for a couple of months speaker groups just stopped working, and for a week or so they started popping and farting to the point I was planning out replacements. At which point they started working again.

I quite like them, but I’m not sure I’d recommend them, especially not full price (we got them pretty cheap a few years ago).

andybrad

I use google. It goes a bit awry sometimes (like when speaker groups stopped working due to sonos lawsuit) but on the whole works.

toby1

Thanks for replies folks.

https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-pro-losing-network-connection.744/page-7#pos) ts mentions it and repeat tickets with support have lead little other than ‘Next time a problem occurs, don’t reboot. Instead, try unplugging the network cable and then plugging it back in, or connect to WiFi after unplugging the cable and send us feedback.’ None of which really seems to solve the root cause.

I have a mesh (using Fritzbox stuff, mostly to try and sort out the flaky performance, my house isn’t even that big!) I have 2 of 4 plugged into mesh nodes (1 of these is very flaky) 1 other on a cable from a switch which is wired to the router and 1 on wifi. 2 out of the 4 are regular droppers, the other less so. I switched one from the office to the bedroom unit yesterday and it was the same performance.

It’s been pretty good for a while with the exception of 1 unit, but as of the latest firmware (04/09) it’s just constant disconnects, some temporary, but usually it drops from the wiim home app completely which takes the google home group out too. It’s just become really hard to keep using as it’s so frustrating.

I might see if I can find some more chromecasts on ebay!

toby1

Ah, I’ve just remembered why I went off Chromecasts originally, loads of spikes in the sounds and cracking as mentioned above, that’s what sent me off to the Yamaha MusicCast stuff, which was also unreliable as anything.

Phones, TV streamers all work fine, so it could be my network/interference, but I’m not sure as I get lost after a certain level of diagnoses!

sillysilly
    Free Member

9/10 Chance it is your network.

Get rid of mesh and ethernet up your house you use Uqiquiti with AP’s.

Chatting to a poor Hi-end hi-fi shop owner in Kensington the other day. Said just Dont bother trying over wifi with my solid walls, causes him infinite hassle.

toby1

I have block built walls rather than cavity walls which makes the cabling a challenge! Does seem like the right way to go though.

nwgiles

I have Sonos, amps with seperate speakers in most rooms, I use the Lutron wall remotes more than the app.

You haven’t specified a budget?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Chromecast doesn’t (or…rather didn’t – might have changed?) do gapless playback. That counts it out for me.

That link to the Wiim forum is just about the Pro though isn’t it?

FWIW I’ve got my Mini on wifi and my amp on ethernet. Both play just as quickly (Wifi 6 Mesh and 1gb connection) no drops, stutters or freezes.

Maybe have a go at factory reset your mesh satelites

mert
    Free Member

Mines mostly chromecasts (x3) and nest speakers (x6), which i can get the whole lot going at the same time. Same track. Sounds bloody awful due to the excessive number of speakers. Being a bit smarter about it and running selected speakers (living room/office/hall) sounds much better. Just running the chromecasts is really rather good.

I also have two headless Volumios running as well. They can apparently be synchronised, but i’ve never looked into it. So i play them in isolation (one is in the workshop, one outside).

Del

Chromecast has been ‘ok’ for me. Cheap enough that the odd hassle is tolerable. BBC sounds I think always pauses for about 10-15s after playing for about a minute or so. Just long enough to make you think it’s stopped playing when it first does it. Volumes seem to get cocked up if I’m playing from my phone or if my partner plays from hers. But generally it’s ok. You’re relying on 3 or 4 different systems all playing nicely together, and like a lot of home automation stuff it mostly works until it doesn’t.

petrieboy

House full of various Sonos stuff here – but as you’ve correctly pointed out, they’ve gone off the deep end with their app so I wouldn’t recommend to anyone

if I was starting from scratch I’d go for WiiM all day long. I’d also get rid of your mesh and get a ubiquiti setup – money well spent

Cougar

Echo user here.  I have… ten of the things now I think.  Voice control and device grouping FTW, “Alexa, play [music choice] downstairs.”

The living spaces have two Echos set up as a (Bluetooth) stereo pair, because I’m not a teenager.  This works well so long as your source isn’t BT because it can only cope with one connection at a time.  It grips my shit that I cannot use the two Dots either side of the TV as TV speakers, it’s like they’re sitting there taunting me.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I use Bluesound speakers (Pulse Flex 2i) and streamers (Node 2i), all run by the BluOS app. Works perfectly.

BluOS is excellent. My daughters use Spotify directly, and I’m on Tidal. One of the speakers is on wifi and the rest are connected directly via ethernet to TP Link Deco discs on a mesh network. It’s reliable, stable and easy to apply upgrades to.

It’s not super cheap but I’m not in a race to the bottom… I like good quality sound so happy to spend for it.

sc-xc

Not an issue I’ve heard about with Wiim. I also have a mini and an amp. Zero issues. Even when linking both together and syncing them. I love it. House wide drum and bass!!!

If you want to listen to mighty jungle, I suggest you put the wiim away.

Cougar

If you want to listen to mighty jungle, I suggest you put the wiim away.

Oh. My. God.

You win the Internet for today, go home.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.