Home Forums Chat Forum Which soldering iron?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Which soldering iron?
  • MSP

Need to do some soldering on a guitar, so I need to purchase a soldering iron. The first one that sprang to mind  was a weller soldering station, but 150+ quid seems a bit excessive for something I will probably only use once every 5 years. On the other hand I don’t want cheap crap that is going to damage the components I am fitting or make the job harder.

Anyone got a recommendation for a reasonably priced but still decent quality soldering station?

deft
    Free Member

I have the Draper station from Amazon for guitar work including pedals. Just got another after the first one died (after about 2 years). I nearly replaced it with a Weller as I hate uneccessary landfill/wastage, but on reflection it worked fine and did a lot of graft for about 1/6th of the price.

zilog6128

I recently replaced my 25 year old Antex one (nothing wrong with it!!) with a TS80P which is a soldering iron for the digital generation! Loads of cool features including really easily swappable tips, and heats up WAY faster. Plus can be run off a battery if you need. I doubt it’ll last as long as the Antex tho!

https: //www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09XHGV5GZ/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item

good price too, currently about £15 cheaper than I paid!

jca

Note that if you intend to solder to a trem claw or grounds to the back of pots that you probably need an iron closer to 40W than you would use for small components, ideally with a large chisel tip to get the heat into the area fast.

diggery
    Free Member
    Northwind

Something properly thermostatted and controllable, is my main thing. It makes so much difference, and it’s one of those unfair things where it makes it easier for learners while experienced people can usually get good results with any old crap. You don’t have to spend a fortune though, I can’t find teh exact one I have online now (old model I guess) but it was about £50.

Hot air can be really useful too, I probbaly use the air gun on mine more than the iron. “rework station” is a good search term if you want that.

colp

I got a great rechargeable one from Lidl, heat’s up really quickly, really convenient to use.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Northwind +1

Mines a cheap ~£25 one off Amazon I think from some unknown Chinese brand and it’s OK for most stuff. I had a £600 JBC station at work and the tips each cost more each than my home station. It was better, and easier to do a good job with it because it was higher power and the tips were physically larger pieces of metal so the temperature was more consistent when actually soldering. But the one at home still does the job.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.