Home Forums Bike Forum Where are your CX venues?

• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by jonba.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Where are your CX venues?
  • jonba
    Free Member

Our local CX leagues are struggling for venues. Typically they have been schools with a decent amount of ground, country parks with quieter areas and then private land. The need for parking and toilet facilities makes is harder. We’ve lost a few venues for various reasons over the years and never really managed to replace them.

On the scout for some new venues and wondering what places other leagues use. Are their typical venues that might help in the search?

Disused airfields are common but not always that easy to get access to for an event. I thought about places where car boot sales are held in summer. Leisure centres, particularly those that focus on football and rugby (assuming there are areas away from the pitches seem a good shout but the seasons clash.

Any inspiration (or big land owners in the the NE!)

a11y

Well, it was the local park but it turns out having images of the national champs back in January and the course going up and over ancient heritage isn’t appreciated by all! Callendar Park, Falkirk and the Antonine Wall – no longer allowed to be used for CX or indeed XC running either apparently.

2024-01-13 British CX Champs Callendar Park Elite Men 000062024-01-13 British CX Champs Callendar Park Elite Men 00003

jonba
    Free Member

We hardly use the venue that hosted the national champs anymore. There was damage to the grass and I heard they tried to charge for returfing a vast area. It all (unsurprisingly) recovered at the first sign of spring but it damaged relationships and they’ve limited where we can run courses.

MoreCashThanDash

Notts & Derby league starts 14/9 at our local country park, couple of other similar locations, a disused airfield,  Holme Pierrepont watersports centre and a friendly farmer.

In the last few years we’ve lost an MoD site, but biggest issue seems to be clubs able/willing to host – we have 350-400 members, we need 25 volunteers on the Saturday and we are still 10 short.

pothead
    Free Member

If you mean NE England Lintz Hall Farm nr Burnopfield (Psychopath Halloween scare show venue as well) held a CX Race a few years ago, no idea how it went down but possibly worth asking, just down the road from me and they have a wooded area as well as fields

abingham

One of ours is at an equestrian centre, they’re worth a look for.

tthew

It was a problem I had for a couple of consecutive years after the local park we used got upgraded for the locals with play area, pump track fitness trails etc. This was the Northwich round of the NW CX league, some members on here probably rode it.

Council couldn’t give us an alternative venue so we used a local shopping village which had a field one year then had another move to the Cheshire showground.

You’re right though, it’s the parking that’s the big issue. You can always get portaloos and changing facilities aren’t strictly necessary. Another consideration is the cost of hire. Forestry Commission will hire, but pricey or the outfield of a motor racing circuit, but that’s definitely expensive.

tthew

biggest issue seems to be clubs able/willing to host – we have 350-400 members, we need 25 volunteers on the Saturday and we are still 10 short.

North West league require all full season riders to marshall 1 event and awards them some amount of points, (might be their average score for the season, can’t remember the details) by way of compensation. And they do make an effort to spread out the helpers to assist the organisers. That works well.

MoreCashThanDash

North West league require all full season riders to marshall 1 event and awards them some amount of points, (might be their average score for the season, can’t remember the details) by way of compensation.

I like that idea, will pass it on to the club CX rep when I next see him – at 5.30 in the morning for course set up!

qwerty
    Free Member

Years ago we ran a winter MTB / CX series in a scout camp, worked a treat.

Maybe approach the National Trust, I know they’re keen to open up their land to other uses, our local NT site is interested in MTB access, they’re not ready just yet for this though.

snotrag

The use of Tong off road centre up here in Yorkshire is quite clever :https://www.parkwoodoutdoorsltd.com/

They have hosted a number of CX and XC races (including nationals) over the past few years. It seems to me to work well (I’ve not raced, but spectated) because they have space, parking, facilities etc, and crucially – are not at all precious about charging through the woods, making muddy puddles, etc etc.

There are stacks of these off-road centres all over the country and they are usually set in some potentially great terrain with interesting surfaces, hills, ditches, climbs, lots of mud, etc etc.

qwerty
    Free Member

PS: my local CX race is held on public park land attached to the local (ex council) leisure centre. Parking & facilities aplenty.

mashr

Callendar Park, Falkirk and the Antonine Wall – no longer allowed to be used for CX or indeed XC running either apparently.

FFS, when and how did that happen? That was one of the best CX courses in Scotland (imo, those with a less mtb background had been known to disagree)

SSS
    Free Member

Used to be Fife College at Dunfermline (November race), but they are moving campus and should have moved already Summer 2024 so they cancelled the races there for this year onwards. The Nov race which used to be there is now TBC.

However the college hasnt moved yet….  so could possibly have run it this year.

mashr

Fife College

if ever a CX race looked like the Somme…

branes
    Free Member

Ratty stock car/MX venues. Generally plenty of parking obvs, main problem with MX venues can be mud but if you can avoid their actual track as much as possible it can be fine.

Edit, a very quick Google and I’d be looking here in the NE for a start. https://www.barfordraceway.com/

pdw
    Free Member

We’ve had a few MX venues. Can work well as it means they can make some money without noise issues – at least one of the venues we used had a limit on the number of MX days they could host.

a11y

FFS, when and how did that happen? That was one of the best CX courses in Scotland (imo, those with a less mtb background had been known to disagree)

My understanding is HES (Historic Environment Scotland) weren’t chuffed seeing widespread images of January’s British champs and the course going up and over the Antonine Wall, and restrictions have come about as a result. Frustrating, especially as it had everything: predominantly grass, able to accommodate a c.3km course, with a bit of variation and 200+ car parking. Even XC running races – including local school-level races that’ve used Call Park for years – are having issues identifying a suitable course that’s acceptable and avoids the Antonine Wall.

Post back in July from the local club who’re involved in CX stuff in the area:

Hi all some of you may be aware that there’s been increased restrictions placed on Events in Falkirk that take place in and around the Antonine Wall. The wall runs through our two key CX venues. Callendar Park is too expensive now for a Scottish CX round, while the way the wall runs through Kinneil (right through the grass slope) is causing us some challenges in coming up with a course for Round 1 of the SCX series in September.

Obviously couldn’t find something suitable for rd1 so no Kinneil.

jonba
    Free Member

MX venues is a good shout. I can find them on google satellite, contact details harder.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.