Home Forums Bike Forum When is too old to remove headset cups?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • When is too old to remove headset cups?
  • legometeorology
    Free Member

I’ve a frame that’s a little over a decade old, which I’m 95% sure is on it’s original headset including cups (I got it secondhand)

Are they likely to still knock out OK if I decide to change the headset? I do have the proper tool for this.

thols2

Are they likely to still knock out OK if I decide to change the headset?

In my experience, yes, it makes no difference.

legometeorology
    Free Member

Good to know, thanks.

The only other thing I should have mentioned is that it’s a steel frame with aluminium headset cups, if that makes any difference?

Onzadog
    Free Member

If it comes to it, they can always be machined out or removed chemically

chestrockwell

Should be absolutely fine. I’ve been collecting late 80’s, early 90’s bikes for over 15 years and never had a problem getting a headset out. Bottom brackets and seat posts are a different matter!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I have never had a problem knocking headsets out of older frames. Often it will feel like you have to hit it a little too hard to get it going but once its ‘cracked’ away from the head tube they generally come out readily. Keep it coming out square as possible so not to ovalise anything.

Probably telling you how to suck eggs, sorry.

legometeorology
    Free Member

If it comes to it, they can always be machined out or removed chemically

This is what I do not want to deal with. I’m not that attached to the bike and don’t have the skills anyway…

kerley
    Free Member

I recently removed a Shimano 600 headset from a 1990 frame (was part of full groupset so probably never been out of frame) and it came straight out as easy as a new frame

legometeorology
    Free Member

OK, thanks all, looks like I may be ready to order an angle set for my skinny 34mm headtube :-)

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/10-degree-ec34-ec34-angle-headset—to-suit-1-18-steerer-tube-1047-p.asp

timmycee
    Free Member

I’ve just restored an ’88 Hardrock. Was expecting to need the biggest hammer in the arsenal.. Practically asked the cups nicely to leave and out they came. The replacement 1″ Chris King headset cost me more than the original bike ?

montgomery
    Free Member

I’ve just restored an ’88 Hardrock. Was expecting to need the biggest hammer in the arsenal.. Practically asked the cups nicely to leave and out they came.

Possibly not so great, but at least you’ll know the first place to check when the creaks start.

timmycee
    Free Member

When I say “restore” I mean coaster brake, Stridsland bits and a basket. It only gets ridden to the shop or the pub. First place I’d look for creaks would be my knees!

fossy

Yes, done it a couple of years ago when respraying a 90’s road bike.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just belt it with some form of steel bar and a hammer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.