Home Forums Chat Forum What trees are you allowed to plant?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What trees are you allowed to plant?
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

My FIL has recently sold some trees for timber (in Spain). He’s not allowed to plant new ones yet as the government haven’t issued the rules on which trees are allowed to be planted.

This got me thinking – do these rules exist in the UK? If I have a piece of land can’t I plant whatever type of tree I want?

wheelsonfire1

I don’t think there are rules here apart from whether they would interfere with the land use designation? Spain and Portugal I think have large areas of non-native trees planted, particularly eucalyptus, which are a fantastic source of fuel for wild fires so causing problems.

funkmasterp

Don’t plant any that have leaves that can fall off. The consequences are dire for your lawn and worse than a dead badger.

CountZero

Don’t plant any that have leaves that can fall off.

The hedgehogs would be very disappointed if mine didn’t; they use the leaves to insulate their bedrooms!

submarined
    Free Member

The planting of leylandii absolutely should be punishable by a week in the stocks.

eckinspain
    Free Member

It’s eucalyptus that he’s getting cut down but is unsure what to replace it with. A few years ago they stopped allowing eucalyptus to be planted but I think they’ve relaxed the rules a bit.

It rains most of the year there but they do still have fires in the summer.

matt_outandabout

If I have a piece of land can’t I plant whatever type of tree I want?

I’ve planted out a few trees on land I don’t own. Some call it guerilla gardening, I just used it for some trees grown by my kids collecting seeds or root cuttings when we’re out.
    One of them is up to about 3m now, a Scots pine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.