Home Forums Chat Forum What to do around Oban when it rains?

• This topic has 27 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What to do around Oban when it rains?
  • Spud

As we’re running out of things to do now. Been up here a week now and in the main it has chucked it down every day at some point. We have had some dry periods luckily one when over on Mull and one when I could mercifully get out on the bike.

iainc

err, dunno, sorry 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Distillery tours

Spud

Haha! That was Friday for me as the rest of family H wanted to laze around the campsite (thank chuff we’ve the caravan). They may well have to get wet rears and be dragged out later on regardless..

Spud

The distillery tours are definitely on the list, getting my 7yo to insist she’s 8 might be an issue to get her in though.

iainc

Cinema is decent, we had one wet day last year and went to see “How to train a dragon” 😀

Spud

Good call, forgot about that..

pacerc200
    Free Member

Cruachan power station, Harry Potter train from ft William, sealife centre.
    Best thing to do in Oban on a wet day is a visit to a travel agent and book next years holiday somewhere sunny, probably cheaper than a UK holiday.

poly
    Free Member

Most of the same stuff as when it is dry. Your problem is not the rain but the fear of the rain.

matt_outandabout

poly – Member
    Most of the same stuff as when it is dry. Your problem is not the rain but the fear of the rain.

This.

Get on beach, walk up hill, shelter in forest etc.

Spud

There’s no fear of rain here.. yes we can do all those things but other stuff that don’t involve getting soaked would be nice too

onlysteel
    Free Member

There is no pint in holidaying in the area unless you are prepared to get soaked on a daily basis. Last time we were up there we left after the 1st week, headed south and dried out the tent. Sorry. Now head to the Alps each summer.

househusband

Head down to Clachan Seil and see the bridge over the Atlantic, head further down to Easdale and have lunch and a few pints in the The Oyster Bar/Brewery there, ideally persuading someone else to drive back…

Or perhaps head even further away to see the locks on the Crinan Canal.

We’ve just come back from a week in the area and the weather wasn’t that bad.

scotroutes

Kilmartin Glen, Dun Add, scones at Poppies garden centre (from where this is posted)

Oh – Inveraray Jail isn’t too far away either.

gordimhor

]scotroutes – Member

Kilmartin Glen, Dun Add, scones at Poppies garden centre (from where this is posted)

Oh – Inveraray Jail isn’t too far away either.”
    Only in Scotland can you brighten up a rainy day by going to jail

CraigW
    Free Member

I once had a nice day walking around the island of Kerrera in the pouring rain.

Yes, Cruachan power station is worth a visit as well. Its all underground, so out of the rain anyway, rather impressive engineering.
    Could be worth a look around Dunstaffnage Castle or Dunollie Castle.
    Fyne Ales in Inverary do brewery tours.

I would suggest the Ice Factor in Kinlochleven, but its currently closed.

AlasdairMc
    Free Member

Sealife Centre?
    Cruachan is good, arrive by bike and it’s free.
    You could drive to Fort William and take a trip up the gondola? Depending how you feel, you could either take the gondola back down or let gravity and a bicycle work together…

TheBrick
    Free Member

drink buckfast?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’m working not far from Oban and have been for the last 6 months. The rain around these parts is biblical. I can’t recommend a place less nice to visit than the West Coast of Scotland.

Rain, wind, middies.

When it’s nice though, it is stunning. Shame it’s not nice often, or for long.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Ardfern is nice. I’m sure you can walk south from the wee boat slip…there was a bull in a nearby field last time I walked it!

Arduaine gardens.

Boat trip to corryvreckan.

I’m sure there’s a walk from Crinan up the hill and over to tavyallich.

Loch Sween castle…and I’m sure as you explore that area there’s a wee island that can be reached at low tide.

epicyclo

Put on a rain jacket and ride?

It’s still fun. 🙂

Spud

Thanks to Househusband for the suggestions, went down to Siel yesterday and had a great time, including lunch at the Oyster. Distillery today. Tomorrow we ride!

DaveRambo

We stayed near Loch Lomond last summer and visited Oban and the area on the many bad days.

Distillery tour if you’ve not done one

The sealife centre is good.

If you fancy a bit of a drive The Hill House was very good – designed by Mackintosh

Bit further away – We did a visit to the Isle of Bute – a very short ferry trip, nice island and Mount Stuart was good.

MSP

iirc there is an indoor climbing centre in the area.

tomd
    Free Member

As above, Cruachan is definitely worth a visit. While you’re there visit St Connan’s church, it’s bonkers. If it is properly wet, while you’re at Cruachan and St Connan’s you could head up Glen Orchy and check out the falls of Orchy.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Put waterproofs on?

Wiksey
    Free Member

Apart from everything else suggested:
    Head back over onto to Mull and go to Duart Castle (can get a family ticket including ferry, bus and entrance to castle) or on Thursday it’s the Salen Show?
    Kilmartin Glen to the south of Oban is nice – Carnasserie Castle and “one of the most important concentrations of Neolithic and Bronze Age remains in Scotland”.
    Inverary – Castle & Jail.
    Lismore is worth a trip across if it brightens (looking out my office window, it’s not raining in Tobermory just now).
    Seafari will take you out to see Corryvreckan if you’re feeling brave.
    Roads are good to get you to The Scottish Crannog Centre at Loch Tay with numerous options of castles and other stop offs that can be tied in. Or head north and across towards The Great Glen and Loch Ness.

Next couple of days are due to be OK, so make the most of it.

Spud

Thanks for those Wiksey, tried for a Seafari trip when in Easdale but was full. Done the Appin loop on bikes today as it was lovely out. Kids want to go back tomorrow and do some crabbing. We’re off back
    South on Friday so we’ve two days to cram some more in.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What to do around Oban when it rains?’ is closed to new replies.