Home Forums Bike Forum What size Vito/Viano for carrying bikes?

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by colp.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What size Vito/Viano for carrying bikes?
  • rob13
    Free Member

I’m looking to buy a bike van, something which can carry 4 of us as a family with bikes inside. I’ve looked at VWs (had a swb years ago but they’re expensive) Vito’s and Vianos in compact and long and Transit customs.

I don’t want something too big to park so LWB VW’s and XL Vito’s are out but I’ve seen a few Vito/Viano in compact and wondered whether they would fit bikes in behind a rear set of seats.

I’m looking at a dualiner 2012 onwards (newer the better) or a Viano with a set of seats removed (and the rail system to slide the seats).

Will a compact be enough or will I require the long model to be able to get 4 bikes in the back?

the00
    Free Member

@rob13 You may know this already, but it wasn’t clear from your post…

The Vito comes in 3 lengths, termed Compact, Long, and Extra-Long. The wheelbase of the Compact and the Long is the same, the extra length comes behind the back axle. The three sizes approximately straddle the two length from Ford and VW.

Because the Vito is rear wheel drive it has a better turning circle than you’d imagine. I haven’t looked at a comparison for the figures, but the Long Vito is definitely more maneuverable the a SWB transit or Transporter.

The Transit is a bit taller than the other 2, which might be an issue with height barriers. My Vito will fit in most multistorey car parks for example.

Mine is for sale if interested:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Mercedes-Vito-Dualiner-Sport-Long-116CDI-110k-miles-5-seats-NO-VAT-/154708325985?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

the00
    Free Member

And to answer your question… I don’t know what will go in a Compact Vito, although I’m sure you could make it work.

rob13
    Free Member

@the00 thanks for the reply. I seem to be in the wrong part of the country up in the North East as they all seem to be a long way to find one! I’ve seen a long one which looks like it would swallow kit without going down the XL route. Its just the compact model which I’m unsure of. On paper they are a matter of cm’s but in reality that can be significant particularly when trying to park in a tight spot.

the00
    Free Member

The Vito didn’t sell in the numbers of the competition, at least in the UK, so there are fewer to chose from too. I had to go a long way for mine when I bought it 5 years ago.

colp

Had XLWB Vitos since 2006.
    An XLWB dualiner will take modern 5 bikes, wheels on with front wheels turned behind the rear seats. A LWB is a fair bit shorter behind the rear seats so will definitely be front wheels off.
    The rear seats are fixed in dualiners, my latest is a tourer and has rails for the rear seats so I can slide them forwards a bit for super long 29ers.

timber

Depends how you want to pack bikes.
    I’ve got a long dualiner with bulkhead fitted and can easily put a few whole bikes in diagonally.

For longer trips away and neater packing, will build a shelf over the arches to put them sideways with front wheel out. Unfortunately the bulkhead stops me fitting the newer bikes front to rear with a wheel out. I like the bulkhead for separating the load and reducing the cabin space to heat/cool. Considering a second bulkhead to separate myself from the 4 year old back seat driver.

Main advantage of a long over a compact is that the spare is stowed underneath, if not nicked already. Compact doesn’t have space underneath so came with foam or a spare in my the load area.

snotrag

Had a rental Toyota Proace Verso today in Mid wheel base – all I could think was that it was a great bike van.

Narrower than most vans, but 3 lengths available, really nice piece of kit.

Same as /rebadged Peugeot Traveller and Citroen Space Tourer.
    Available with 180hp diesel auto too. I liked it.

colp

Worth looking at the Loaded Bikes products if you are taking wheels off

colp

The long Vito is about the same size as a 5 series BMW, I’ve never had a problem parking my XLWB but I’m not in city centres a lot.
    I’d definitely rule out a compact, they’re tiny.

rob13
    Free Member

Just as an update to this, bought a sport crew long this week. Looking forward to doing a few bits with it, making it a bit quieter, fitting some new audio equipment and organising a rear which can be used as an overnighter for me and the bike. Want something that can just be taken in and out. Not much for the Vito but will be self building.

colp

Good stuff. There’s a couple of good Vito Facebook groups, really helpful

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What size Vito/Viano for carrying bikes?’ is closed to new replies.