Home Forums Bike Forum What next for the Geometry Geeks website?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What next for the Geometry Geeks website?
  • frogstomp

From previous comments I think quite a few on here use the Geometry Geeks website – I’ve certainly whiled away the odd moment comparing potential purchases.

Sadly, filings on Companies House suggest that they may be in the process of shutting down. Hopefully someone will step in and keep things going (although I can’t find any reference to suggest it is up for sale) as it’s a useful resource.

cokie

It’s a great resource and I’ve used it a fair bit and also contributed.
    Didn’t realise it was a registered LTD co., I thought it was a hobby site!
    Their monetisation model is pretty weak. I didn’t even know there was an advanced search available.
    It’s really poorly advertised.

I’m also not sure most riders who use the site actually need advanced search access. If you are on ‘Geometry Geeks’, by definition you are into numbers and understand them to a degree, so what does advanced search really offer? EDIT- okay, I see the benefit of tracking down bikes based on geometry parameters. It’s a nice touch, but not worth £5. Most enthusiasts looking for a specific geometry range already know the majority of bikes in their category/budge.

I wish them all the luck but really if they’re trying to monetize it they need a better proposition and a better call to action.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’d imagine it can find comparable bikes based on certain values?

Likewise I didn’t know it existed.

bikesandboats
    Free Member

I hadn’t heard of Geometry Geeks, I use http://bikeinsights.com which to me seems better as it draws the frame based off the geometry they have, I can also create custom geometry and see how it compares to bikes in their database. Being able to search by numbers on geometry geeks is good if you are looking for a bike with a certain geo though.

oikeith

An excellent website I use whenever I get the new bike itch! Would be a shame to see it go.

Hopefully it doesnt go the way of MyFitnessPal!

a11y

I hadn’t heard of Geometry Geeks, I use http://bikeinsights.com which to me seems better as it draws the frame based off the geometry they have, I can also create custom geometry and see how it compares to bikes in their database.

Similarly, although I’d heard of them I was already using https://www.bike-stats.de/en/ which works brilliantly for me. Also allows custom geometry/inputting, with user-generated database.

frogstomp

@bikesandboats & @a11y – thanks for the links.. wasn’t aware of those alternative sites.

mashr

Similarly, although I’d heard of them I was already using https://www.bike-stats.de/en/ which works brilliantly for me. Also allows custom geometry/inputting, with user-generated database.

I’ve used that one a lot when trying to work out the effect of mulleting my old bike. Really useful for that sort of thing.

My biggest surprise here is that I’m another one that just thought Geometry Geeks was someone’s hobby

weeksy

99spokes also has a decent bit on geometry and has pretty pictures too.

hyper_real

Whenever I’ve clicked a link to a specific bike or comparison on that site, it’s brought up a “Prove Humanity” captcha to solve first.

That’s annoyed me enough that I’ve never bothered with the site and just use 99spokes or bikeinsights instead.

jonba
    Free Member

Shame I also use it a lot when looking at new bikes. Put in the ones I’ve got/had and then compare geometry. Easier than digging out the numbers and building a spreadsheet.

That said, I had seen 99spokes but never really used it. I’ve just spent 10 minutes on there. It’s better than most manufacturers websites for someone (like me) making a head based technical decision. What a great site! Love that you can do side by side between bikes across everything like spec and geometry. That and it recommends other options. I assume it makes its money through links as there are loads in terms of where to buy and accessories.

tall_martin

I love that site.

I’ll be sad if it closes

gs_triumph

STW community buy out? 8)

bearGrease

STW community buy out?

Or next M&A target for STW themselves? Maybe a perk for paying members?

ampthill

I paid a £5 to be sure that i knew all te gravel frames that might fit me

I didn’t learn much but it was useful to be sure i hadn’t missed stuff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.