Home Forums Bike Forum What helmet am I looking for?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What helmet am I looking for?
    bentudder

Right. Looks like my old Endura lid for general trail faffing is on its last legs after three and a bit years. It’s a non-MIPS Singletrack. I’ve tried the MIPS version, but it is a lot narrower than the bog standard version, which is a shame, as I like my head and dislike concussion, but find constant pressure on my temples a bit vom-inducing. So: onwards.

The replacement needs to have:

* Decent ventilation. Really good, as I don’t have much hair and sweat like anything. I like climbing (sorry) so tend to ride uphill as fast as my fitness allows – so not much airflow or apparent windspeed, then.

* Interchangeable pads (within reason). Endura no longer sells spare pads for the Singletrack I have, which is a darn shame.

* The ability to clip a helmet light on and off fairly easily (something the Endura does really well)

Now, bear in mind I liked the Singletrack enough to buy the full face version last year for attempting to follow the oldest Udderlet down BPW and various enduro courses. I get on with it, but the lack of available replacement pads (in the UK, at least – Bikeinn seems to have the, but I’d rather put the money through a local shop) rather cancels out me just replacing what I have.

All suggestions (or pointers to the inevitable existing thread I’ve failed to find) gratefully received.

joebristol

I tried POC helmets as I think they look great but I found the Tectal gave me a headache – think it was just a bit narrow. So maybe not that make for you. Giro Chronicle fits me nicely (but is a few years old now – although some still on sale) – but this time round I picked up a Specialized Tactic on sale. Really comfy and has plenty of protection. Didn’t cost the world either.

Also tried on the next helmet up (Ambush 2) and it fitted horribly – narrower and felt smaller for the size.

bentudder

I’ve had a few Giros and a couple of Specializeds over the years and got on with them, but the new Specializedseses look like the mutant offspring of a lenticular cloud and a meringue for some reason. I’ll give them a try regardless. It seems that I have a round rather and oval head in cross section. Thank you.

reeksy

I like the Fox Speedframe Pro… but if:

I’d rather put the money through a local shop

Then you just need to go and try some for fit.

bentudder

Good point, Reeksy. I’m chocka this week with jobs, so can’t get to all of them – there are three, possibly four in my town -two of which are excellent – and another three I rate about a half hour’s ride in three different directions of the compass. I’m trying to narrow down my options a bit, but you’re right. Realistically, with the amount of night riding I do, having some sort of QR light mount is fairly critical, though. Maybe one of those self adhesive GoPro sticker things perhaps? I don’t know how well they get on with helmets, but I’ve seen a ton of them attached to racing dinghies, so they must be pretty solid

reeksy

Nice to have so much choice. I’ve got a LBS 20 mins ride away, but he only really fixes bikes or gets stuff in to order. Over an hour to any others and they are spread far and wide.

I guess you better take your helmet light to the shops with you.

I cable tie and velcro an Ay-Up mount to my helmet – but it’s only for a couple of months a year that I need it here, most riding is done early mornings

richwales

Bell Super 3
    Has a built in camera mount I use for light. Googles fit with it to if you use them.

weeksy

I have a Super 3 air for sale which converts from FF into trail helmet, brand new in box.

Has a fancy clip in GoPro mount which i’m sure could be converted into a light mount.

matt_outandabout

+1 on go try on at LBS.

I bought a chiggle firesale Kask. It’s well vented, great shape, looks good, came with a spare pads – and was £15.

However, thier large is only just big enough and so while comfy bare headed, I’m not going to get a buff under there in winter….

bens
    Free Member

Best ventilated that I’ve had was a Giro Montaro. I went from that to a Fox Speedframe Pro which I hated. Well, hate is a strong word but it was noisy (squeeky and rattly) and while it looked like it should have been really cool with all the vents, I found it made me (even more of) a sweaty mess on the climbs. It also wasn’t as nice a fit as the the Giro.

I bought a Poc Kortal and a Tectal from CRC for cheap enough that it didn’t matter if they were crap, turns out they’re not. I’ve been using the Tectal most recently, it’s still not quite as airy as the Montaro but its better at airflow that the Speedframe. It also fits me well. I’d say it’s a similar fit to the Giro.

I know the Speedframe was discussed here before and some found it well vented, others including myself didn’t.

I do wonder if it’s a fitment thing… Different shaped heads work better with the venting?

Ultimately, you’re not going to know for sure until you’ve worn it out and about. If you’re biting online, I think you need to try a few on and return whatever doesn’t sit right.

joebristol

On the light thing I use an exposure mount which basically fits in anything that has central vents I think. On my Chronicle there’s a stick on go pro mount. That is not moving for anything – even when I’ve caught the light in a branch it doesn’t come unstuck.

I like Fox helmets (didn’t like a POC Kortal I tried the other week) but light mounting options are a bit gash – no central vent

I use an Exposure mount here though, which works fine – do similar on my Speedframe too. Doesn’t really feel odd being on the side and has the added bonus that you aren’t going to rip it off on low branches

53218095837_029c43b957_o

bentudder

Thanks all! I got a bit hinky about the Exposure nylon bolt mount ones a while, back, and have a gopro adapter thing for both the moon one I use at the moment and my old Joystick, which is a bit short of breath these days. I’ll have to go on an epic trying-on tear now. Will report back once I have something sorted…

FOG

Met seemed to have dropped out of popularity but theit Roam helmet is excellent and suits my head very well. Can be found for £60-70 and even less on eBay.

Kramer
    Free Member

I’d never buy a helmet off Ebay or Amazon, too much risk of it being a counterfeit.

donslow

Best ventilated that I’ve had was a Giro Montaro. I went from that to a Fox Speedframe Pro which I hated. Well, hate is a strong word but it was noisy

i made the exact same move and had the same thoughts / feeling

next helmet will definitely be another Montaro

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.