Home Forums Bike Forum What happened here? Roadie skids.

• This topic has 33 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by mert.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What happened here? Roadie skids.
  • rickon
    Free Member

How did this happen?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtzjMdkrKnk/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Someone suggesting that this was caused by calipers expanding.

Looks like the road was slick and as soon as the rider turned the bars they whipped out from underneath him.

nbt

100% you can see a slight twitch of the bars just before the wheel washes out. Sod all to do with the calipers for me

matt_outandabout

Looks like the road was slick and as soon as the rider turned the bars they whipped out from underneath him.

Yep, looks like simple physics of a wet and greasy road.

So much opposition to disc brakes from a few roadies.

ads678

Fast bend, wet surface. Lost the front wheel. Down before you know you’ve lost control.

sandboy

It looks like fresh tarmac which could still contain a bit of oil when mixed with rain is like ice.

joebristol

Can’t imagine that’s anything to do with brakes. Just fast into a slick corner on slick tyres.

Bet he wished he was wearing gloves though

fossy

TT bike, super stiff wheels, wet, greasy recipe for disaster. Nothing to do with braking ! Couldn’t believe how quickly Vingegaard was cornering on his TT bike in yesterday’s stage, properly on the edge.

stanley

I bet he was hoping the motorcyclist didn’t follow him.

slowol

I’ve done that (going slower on my old road bike with caliper brakes) and I don’t think I even touched the brakes. Better to just blame riding too fast in the rain. Did he think he was in a race or something? Better get some proper sized tyres with treads not those useless lightweight things 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, unless you’ve ridden a TT bike it’s difficult to comprehend just how badly they handle, even when riding up on the hoods/base bar as if it was a normal bike. That’s just someone crashing one in the wet.

Unpopular opinion: stage race TT’s should be held on appropriate courses. It’s dull when the winner of a 3 week race comes down to luck in the TT. If they want to hold them on technical courses, they should mandate they’re ridden on a normal bike, at least then it’s rewarding bike handling skills.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Ouch!

desperatebicycle

Lol at non gloves wearers 😛

anagallis_arvensis

What happened, is it me or is it obvious, too much speed not enough grip.

nbt

If they want to hold them on technical courses, they should mandate they’re ridden on a normal bike, at least then it’s rewarding bike handling skills.

Part of the skill is choosing the most appropriate equipment thought, as evidenced by the debate in yesterday’s TDF TT over whether to change bikes or not. Plus, handling a TT bike requires even more skill so better riders should be better at it, right?

snotrag

Absolute cobblers.

This is as simple as they get – Ambition > Adhesion.

thols2

As above, road was slippery, he crashed. Even if it was because he was braking, that’s still on him riding on tyres that have no grip in the wet, not an argument for brakes that don’t work when it’s wet.

5lab
    Free Member

i don’t think there’s really any difference on road between grip levels on different tyre patterns, you want completely slick for most grip (on a bicycle). Compound can make a difference, but running a very hard compound is likely to be fastest on a TT stage (as the second lost on the odd downhill corner is more than made up by riding on the flat).

Owning a TT bike, not sure what the comments about handling badly are all about. They handle just fine, your weight distribution is a bit different to a road bike (but its hardly optimal there), otherwise if you have some semblence of talent you can ride just as well on either.

I’ve had exactly that kinda crash on a wet roundabout at the bottom of a hill on marathon plus tyres (so lots of tread) on a touring bike. Simply too much speed for the conditions, and once a wheel is going sideways in the wet the force at which it will re-grip is much lower, so you’re basically screwed

tonyg2003

Probably nothing to do with brakes as said above (did he even touch the levers).  Having come off like that (sliding into a ditch!) it’s a combo of too much speed too little grip

Traditionally the only thing roadies do in wet weather is run slightly lower pressures to improve grip.

TT bikes tend to put weight further forward and if anything that should increase front end grip over standard road bikes. It’s just you see TT’ers in events like this pushing into corners beyond what they might do in normal race circumstances

13thfloormonk

In general I just can’t understand how quickly riders on TV appear to deck it in wet conditions.

Given that they will be infinitely better riders than me I can only assume it’s just the speed they’re doing, or that they’re all 30kg lighter than me and generating correspondingly less friction at the contact patch?

Or more likely I guess it’s because I have the luxury of not being in race conditions when cornering in the wet 🙄

dc1988

You can see how slick the road was based on how he slid once off the bike.

akira

I think it’s pushing the limits of grip that makes them crash, see also pro downhillers. They crash far more often than I do but think they might be a squidge more talented.

dyna-ti

You can see how slick the road was based on how he slid once off the bike.

At speed straight into the stinging nettles 😳

multi21
    Free Member

rickon
    Free Member

How did this happen?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtzjMdkrKnk/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Lol, i just found the comment I think you’re talking about “durianrider_” ?

I’ve actually experienced the calipers (or fluid) overheating on a long downhill causing the brakes to stick ‘on’…in about 1995 on a very early sealed brake system. Not sure it can even happen on the modern systems?

5lab
    Free Member

I’ve actually experienced the calipers (or fluid) overheating on a long downhill causing the brakes to stick ‘on’…in about 1995 on a very early sealed brake system. Not sure it can even happen on the modern systems?

on modern systems (open, rather than closed, which died ~20 years ago) the opposite can happen – get a lot of heat into your brakes, then release them, and as the fluid cools/contracts you can get nothing the first pull back.

sirromj

kayak23

I’ve had exactly that kinda crash on a wet roundabout at the bottom of a hill

Diesel spill maybe.
    Absolutely terrifying on a motorbicycle.

13thfloormonk

durianrider_

Isn’t he a professional level troll? Am sure I’ve heard that name before…

akira

Is he the banana guy? Yeah I’d maybe not take his opinions as grounded in reality.

jkomo

I might start wearing gloves on the road bike again.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Lol, i just found the comment I think you’re talking about “durianrider_” ?

Oh Christ, did we not learn from the last time never to mention that name?!

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

The next clip was a french bulldog on a skateboard, it made my day but it’s gone now.☹️

oldnick

The pesky local council there seems to have resurfaced the road recently with bitumen and sod all aggregate, lovely and smooth in the dry, slippery when new and wet.
    It wouldn’t have happened over here, the multiple road repairs give you a choice of berms to rail round, and if that fails a Safety Pothole should catch the slide and keep you upright.

nbt

on modern systems (open, rather than closed, which died ~20 years ago) the opposite can happen – get a lot of heat into your brakes, then release them, and as the fluid cools/contracts you can get nothing the first pull back.

You can see that happen to Adam Hansen at about 7 minutes in this video of the descent off Col de la Loze used in yesterday’s stage 17 of the TDF. I don’t think they braked so hard in the race 🙂

mert
    Free Member

Isn’t he a professional level troll? Am sure I’ve heard that name before…

It’s worth digging into his history, just to see how unhinged he really is.

I’d probably double check if he told me wheels were round.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.