Home Forums Bike Forum What first MTB for 9 year old?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What first MTB for 9 year old?
    geomickb

Triggered by the Xmas is coming thread.

My daughter (9) is doing well on her Frog but I think it’s time for chunkier tyres and a slacker head angle.

Any thoughts on what I should get? Inside leg is 60.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I just got my 10 year old a second hand Trek Marlin via eBay. He’s well happy with it.

chestrockwell

Just picked up a Cube Acid for my 10 year old. Chunky tyres, hydraulic discs and reasonable forks + not too heavy. He’s very slight but has no problem chucking it about!

ajantom

Like all mtbers you should have a stash of 26er parts and enough bits to build up a bike, no?

I do/did, so bought an XS frame on eBay (in my case a DMR Trailstar) It’s been spot on.

pdw
    Free Member

Our two were on a Vitus Nucleus 24 and an Early Rider Hellion 24 at that size.   I’d recommend both, but the Hellion is definitely nicer – as it should be at over twice the price! Hellion is also a lot bigger (unsubtle stealth ad: I’ve still got them both and they need to be sold)

Daughter is now on an XS Trek Roscoe (27.5″). Great bike, but the XS will still be too big for you at the moment.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Spesh Rockhoppers are a cracking buy, we’ve had one and it’s about to go to child No.3

geomickb

And I forgot, it must have hydraulic brakes. I ‘m sick of fiddling with these callipers.

26 will be too big?

pdw
    Free Member

26 will be too big?

Depends.  Vitus Nucleus size chart says 57-66 inside leg for the 24″ and 64-70 for the 26″.  Still a few months until Christmas, though.

geomickb

@pdw yeah, I was looking at that. 64-70 is much more sensible but I also know how hard it is riding a bike that is slightly too big.

pdw
    Free Member

If they’re confident and keen, I reckon you can get away with stretching the sizing a bit. My son was definitely too small for his 24″ when he first got it, but it was still duly sent off the local jumps 30 minutes after getting it. I ended up buying a cheap seatpost and cutting it down while he grew into it. The same sizing would have been an issue for his sister.

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

Slight hijack as I’m also looking for my daughter… @pdw how much would you want for the Hellion

bri-72

Go outdoors and polygon? Picked up a new HT 24” wheel bike tail end of last year. £215 new as I recall. Might’ve been sale price not sure. Basic suspension fork and mech disc brakes.  Not the lightest but 9yo coping fine.
    frame design actually takes 26 too but suspect will have outgrown frame before wheel size is the main factor.

Rich_s

My 9 year old (143cm approx) is rolling around on a Giant Anthem in xs size. She was on 26″ but managed to break a Mavic Crossride rear wheel, so she’s back on chunky 24″ wheels now.

Thread here

NBD for 8.5 year old girl content

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.