Home Forums Chat Forum What dog flea treatment?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What dog flea treatment?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Our little rescue seems to picked up fleas.

What flea treatment would people recommend?

I need something that works but I’m a bit concerned that some can be pretty toxic to the dog and not just the fleas.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Our dog takes Simparica tablets. They also protect against ticks and intestinal worms (also heartworms I think).

Once a month, it’s a palatable tablet that he crunches up and swallows with no fuss.

Interestingly we noticed fleas on him at the weekend as he’d been playing with other dogs and some of them had ‘jumped ship’, but he never started scratching and within a day they’d all gone. I don’t know how the Simparica works but a treated dog is obviously not an attractive environment for them to continue their lifecycle.

IANAV

z1ppy

TBH what ever the vet prescribes, as TBH I’d hope you’d have them on a flea/worming plan, and I’ve not found over the counter stuff to be any cop. Then some Indorex spray for the house

gooner666

Bravecto for my dogs.

Changed to Bravecto when we lived in Scotland due to the high number of ticks that attached themselves to my dogs. Never found a live tick on any of my dogs since. Same for fleas.

None of my dogs have ever had an adverse affect from Bravecto

Del

I’ve had success with fiprinol based spot-on treatments in the past but the most recent bout my lab had were persistent, partly due to some mates he was knocking about with re-introducing them on a regular basis so I caved and got a vet prescribed treatment. Bravecto I think? 50ish quid for three months single tablet that went in without too much trouble. I keep an eye on him and signs of re-infection have yet to appear and we’re at the 4/5 month point now. I’ll treat as and when required.

I worm him as required but don’t see good reason to keep treating for fleas that aren’t there.

savoyad

Once they’ve got the fleas:  Bravecto.  From the vet.

It’s too late now for other (lesser) options.  They might be OK for ongoing prevention but ymmv.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Thanks all.

RustyNissanPrairie

Google Bravecto – I wouldn’t give it my dog.

6 years with our Karelian Bear Dog, in winter months I don’t use any flea or tick treatment. In summer I avoid areas with known deer. If going areas with deer then I use Cooper and Gracie flea & tick spray, he picked a few ticks up but that was after lots of scrub bashing tracking deer.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I just have and I don’t see anything bad? Do you have links?

RustyNissanPrairie

This is going back circa 5 nearly 6 years, we were new to being dog guardians and had 100% blind faith in our (1st vets). We tried spot on but it damaged our dogs fur at the application point, asked the vets advice they recommended Bravecto. I paid for it but then noticed Bravecto branded advertising in the vets which raised my suspicions. Came home googled it and threw the Bravecto in the bin. Changed vets shortly after. Haven’t used any flea treatment since.

I’m going to summerise but it makes the dog toxic enough that fleas and ticks cannot survive on the dog. There was enough information out there (at the time) for me to not give it my dog. Vets are commercial enterprise’s who balance profit against what’s actually right for animal care, some lean more than others.

I don’t regularly wash our dog (probably once a year), his fur has lots of oil. He gets brushed a lot, he’s never had fleas and has been to doggo day care plenty of times.

savoyad

Some of the peer reviewed literature is collected here:  https://www.biomedcentral.com/collections/bravecto

Drac

Currently Oscar is on Milbemax works very well.

Jake was on Bravecto as he was at a different vent until his later months, absolutely no issues. It tarred with scare stories from a few that may have had issues of millions of dogs that have been prescribed it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.