Home Forums Bike Forum What colour should hubs be?

• This topic has 59 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by sbob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • What colour should hubs be?
  • nickc

Black or Silver

I’m not a fan of the colour matched stuff on bikes; headset, BB all that…

So, all black or Silver just for a bit if difference

rOcKeTdOg

Any colour but silver unless the bike is pre 80s. I like mismatched hubs. I have a blue bike with a red front and gold rear hub. It has a purple chairing too

nickjb
    Free Member

Black on the back, silver on the front. Same for spokes. That’s what I’ve got. Hope that helps. Do people really worry about thus sort of thing? Just go and get it muddy (actually quite hard at the moment :) )

funkmasterp

I’m with rocketdog, mix it up.

Houns

Pink

qwerty
    Free Member

Gunmetal.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not sliver. It just looks weird, i don’t know why, but it does.

Silver frame, spokes, seat post even fork all fine but hubs and handlebars no, not on my bike. Yours can be as silver or what-ever-the-heck-colour as you like.

sillyoldman

Black. Coloured hubs remind me too much of Ultra Burners in the 80s when I was the right age for garish pish.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Gunmetal +1. I’ve got some old hope XC’s that colour, they matched the contemporary XTR nicely and still look good on any bike I put them on.

Depends if you want to keep the wheels for a while or if they’re just for a bike. I think hubs look good matched to the colour of the logos on the frame because you can’t normally see both at the same time.  But if its a colourful frame then they need to be black or grey.

Silver only looks good on white industries, campag or Royce hubs.

nixie

Silver hubs and spoke mostly just look wrong. Black unless a colourful set would match the frame

benpinnick

Silver. I have loads of wheels but my silver hubbed ones look the best.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

My Cotic soul is the Mercury with orange hubs. I normally hate bling but they look tremendous.

nickc

Do people really worry about thus sort of thing?

Worry is the wrong word. Its potentially a bunch of cash, so I’m giving it ‘some’ thought.

scotroutes

I would have had silver on my latest wheel build if the hubs I wanted had been available in that finish. They have silver spokes and rims and on a Ti bike so would have been a nice touch.

jes
    Free Member

Black if your keeping the wheels for a while or if they may get fitted to different bikes :-)

Never mismatch hubs, except on a pub bike :-)

kerley
    Free Member

Coloured hubs remind me too much of Ultra Burners in the 80s when I was the right age for garish pish.

I was the right age and on the right bikes (BMX) in the 80’s and the love of anodised stuff stayed with me.  I have to try hard to limit myself.  Even if everything on the bike is black/silver I still love a red, blue or gold hub.

rene59
    Free Member

Same with all my components – black. They match everything and I always think they’d be easier to sell if I had to.

seosamh77
    Free Member

mucky.

singlespeedstu

Anything but red.

They always look shit.

kayak23

Black. Gunmetal if you have commitment issues. 😉

dpfr

I’m struggling with this at the moment for a new build. Ti hardtail frame and black fork with orange logo, so what hubs? Black just leaves the fork as the only splash of colour, looking like an afterthought. Could pick up the orange of the fork with the hubs, or I could go red or blue hubs and get the fork decal changed to match? Or if I am changing the fork decal, maybe do the whole thing fairly stealthy with gunmetal or slate hubs and  match the fork to that?

Argh! First world problems I know……

ta11pau1

I’m struggling with this at the moment for a new build. Ti hardtail frame and black fork with orange logo, so what hubs? Black just leaves the fork as the only splash of colour, looking like an afterthought. Could pick up the orange of the fork with the hubs, or I could go red or blue hubs and get the fork decal changed to match? Or if I am changing the fork decal, maybe do the whole thing fairly stealthy with gunmetal or slate hubs and  match the fork to that?

Argh! First world problems I know……

Orange grips, rim decals, the little bits here and there.

Although lots of orange can look good with a ti coloured frame…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Black.. Anything but orange, red or gold

Onzadog
    Free Member

Match hub colour to spoke colour where possible.

RustySpanner

Silver.

Coloured hubs are for perverts and small children.

parkesie
    Free Member

Purple

mudmonster
    Free Member

Silver on my main bike. Don’t mind colours though, apart from purple, yuk.

mcnultycop

Black or red.

Northwind

Black. But a load of mine are white now, because they were really cheap

breadcrumb

I always go safe/boring with black. Same when I bought my brakes, safe/boring black.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Silver Machine https://g.co/kgs/pbPYoz

mattyfez

I’d say black generally, although I went with gunsmoke hopes, as I wanted a graphite type color, in the flesh they have a very definite blue tint to them though.

But it worked out fine as my frame is kinda semi metallic dark grey with blue and white graphics, so it matches nicely.

TiRed

Silver. Preferably with Royce on them. Black carbon with silver is also rather fetching.

tomhoward

Hubs and headset to match fork, to match frame decals. Or that’s what all mine have so far (all black 😉 bar…) thought my most recent has blue hubs, headset, fork and decals and, if I do say so myself, it looks rather spiffy.

Next bikes colour accents? 🍊

*caveat* the anodising hasn’t worn yet, so I may well eat my, self congratulating, words in a year or so…

jekkyl

Black

deadkenny
    Free Member

Any so long as they’re quiet (so not Hope or Chris King, or anything with 6 billion point engagement, or certainly those in the 100+).

mike399
    Free Member

Black hubs, black spokes.

Obviously.

RustySpanner

Obviously not.

Anodising is cheaper than polishing and was adapted by the bike industry to save money.

Black bike components are ugly and smell of penny pinching, depression and teenage goth’s bedrooms.

Metal is supposed to be shiney and to reflect the light.

Black anodising makes the world a more miserable place and decreases the sum total of human happiness.

It’s no coincidence that many forumites have only suffered from depression after the introduction of black anodising.

Frankly, I’d have you flogged.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Any so long as they’re quiet

The correct answer. I got conned into the pro2 hype years ago, tbh I was glad when that bike got nicked! :lol:

Irritating as hell.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Seosam … Pedal more is a cheap solution.

Don’t care what colour the hubs are but if the spokes are anything other than silver then they look pish.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘What colour should hubs be?’ is closed to new replies.