Home Forums Chat Forum What app to stream music from a NAS to an iPad. Sonos alternatives

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What app to stream music from a NAS to an iPad. Sonos alternatives
  • woody74

So I bought a Sonos Play 1 to only find out that it’s a really closed systems and you can’t stream things like iPlayer radio to it.

I am swapping it for a Monitor Audio Airstream S200 that has Airplay and Bluetooth. So I should then be able to stream any music from my iPad to it.

However what is the best app for connecting to a NAS and getting music from your iTunes Library that I have dumped onto it?

Is there anything that works like the Sonos app where it will connect to multiple music streams (NAS, Amazon music, radio, etc) but that outputs in bluetooth or Airplay?

poonprice
    Free Member

A lot of the consumer NAS, such as the QNAPs and Synology come with iTunes server installed or at least have DLNA which will allow you to stream wirelessly.

TheFopster
    Free Member

I have a Synology NAS. The Synology app works well, has internet streaming audio and handles iTunes server on the NAS. I have no idea what those words mean when used in that order but music comes out which is what I wanted it to do.

dobo
    Free Member

the s200 supports dlna so an app like bubbleupnp will be able to connect to it, works brilliantly on android but dont know if it works on apple stuff but i guess you can search for an alternative.

woody74

I have converted an old Apple Time Capsule to be the NAS drive so none of the consumer apps such as Synology work with it. All the apps I have found so far are just really crap and have terrible interfaces.

jwray

So your NAS is just network connected drives? You’ll need a computer to run some form of music server. There’s lot around, plex, subsonic are two I’ve used successfully. Neither are tied to itunes though.

I’m using a synology and their music server app now.

J

willyboy
    Free Member

You could try a Pure Jongo instead.
    We really like ours and the app works well. No NAS required, just use a tablet or phone.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What app to stream music from a NAS to an iPad. Sonos alternatives’ is closed to new replies.