Home Forums Bike Forum What 14″ 1.5 tire for a wee one who skids every time he stops

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What 14″ 1.5 tire for a wee one who skids every time he stops
    tall_martin

Hi,

My 4 year old LOVES skidding to a stop. He’s can use the front brake, but it’s less fun.

He is almost through the lightly treaded kenda small block 8  one that came on his bike.

https://shop.windwave.co.uk/components/tyres/prevelo-kenda-small-block-eight-14-x-15-cycle-tyre-a1__13595

Before I buy a replacement, any suggestions?

Mostly used for getting to school on the pavement, hopefully some off road over the winter.

Thanks!

ossify

The cheapest no-name rubbish with a similar tread? Just keep the better tyre on the front.

It will ride just fine at his speeds/usage, he can still have fun with no stress for you and you can replace it with something better when necessary.

charlie.farley

if a rear slick is viable how about
    14” Schwalbe for £15 in either

~~~~~

Kid Plus 14” x 1.75

or

Big Apple 14” x 2.00

IMG_8430

or the Vee Crown Gem tyre that comes with Early Riders ?

IMG_8432

mick_r

A big pile of cheap ones and let him trash then :-)

I remember getting my brother’s hand me down Vindec and discovering the joys of a back brake. The white tyres lasted him 3 years – they lasted me about 3 weeks with lots of white stripe evidence down our road. Next step was new black tyres, dirt bike style grips and mudguards removed. And for some reason I still like steel singlespeeds 45 years later…..

tall_martin

I can only find 14″ tires on fawks website. The vee tire looked good, but seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Thanks for the suggestions :  )

amedias
    Free Member

rotate the worn one round the wheel a bit to move he skid spot to make it last longer like I did as a (slightly older) kid when my dad said he’d stop replacing them if I kept skidding holes in them :-)

kormoran
    Free Member

I think you need to start a tab for replacing tyres, he could learn a valuable life lesson by docking his pocket money or even taking it from his future inheritance.

When I was about 8 I skidded and blew out a fairly new tyre leaving a hole in it. My dad wasn’t impressed, he cut up an old tyre and stuffed it inside to patch the hole. It was like riding an egg shaped wheel after that, hilarious :-)

charlie.farley

~~~~~
    How about Cheap or Cheerful

~~~~~

ceept

Coloured tyres make coloured skids :-)

I put a pair of cheap chinese red tyres on my old azonic jump bike. My 9 YO daughter loves taking it to school now…

I can cope with a cheap tyre every now & again if it encourages her to ride.

tall_martin

@kormoran

Bit harsh at age 4. Maybe age 14 when I’m sure he wouldn’t accidentally go over the bars when using the front brake.

@charlie
    .farley

Thanks! I’ll get 1/ some of the crown v when the one I’ve ordered is ready for the bin. (5 min?). I spent ages looking for the crown v and couldn’t find any.

@ceepers

He up to meter long skids now. Fun, but terrifying when he does it on the way towards a road.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.