Home Forums Bike Forum Waterproof shoes or waterproof socks?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Waterproof shoes or waterproof socks?
  • fionap

Now the monsoon season is here. They’d be for commuting on a mountain bike with spds and maybe a few ‘fun’ trips too. Would you go for waterproof shoes or waterproof socks in normal shoes? Bear in mind the shoes aren’t going to have time to dry out in between rides.

If you’re currently using waterproof shoes, what are they and would you recommend them? No shiny roadie style shoes please…

Jamie
    Free Member

What about overshoes with your current setup?

z1ppy

Boots, at least they keep you feet warm when the water does get in (which is does to w/p boot and socks)… boots thread

sandwicheater

If like me you’ve only one set of riding shoes I’d suggest getting a shoe dryer as what ever you do it’s won’t keep the water out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xett-Electric-Dryer-Warmer-Disinfectant/dp/B00FNA08B8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1413279238&sr=8-8&keywords=boot+and+glove+dryer

gaffney
    Free Member

Waterproof Overshoes. They keep your feet warm and dry, and they’re only £25.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-road-overshoe/rp-prod91160

jools182
    Free Member

If it’s every day then waterproof shoes or overshoes are going to be miles better than waterproof socks

Boots or shoes that get sodden most days are never going to dry out

fionap

Overshoes? I’ve got my street cred to consider, Jamie. 8)

Not sure I would trust that shoe dryer not to incinerate my shoes (and the rest of the house) while I sleep.

sandwicheater

Not sure I would trust that shoe dryer not to incinerate my shoes (and the rest of the house) while I sleep.

Damn it, well I’m not going to try it and I need a ginnie pig. There are better models about if you google ski boot dryers.

Over shoes are a must I reckon for the wet months. It’s amazing what a decent set of guards will keep off you as well.

gaffney
    Free Member

Agreed on mudguards. Hate having them on, but they make wet weather rideable.

Waterproof socks are bollocks, every time I’ve worn them commuting or riding my MTB I’ve ended up wearing what is essentially a bag of water around my feet.

cakefacesmallblock

If I rode SPD , I’m certain I’d use overshoes. Mates who do don’t seem to have much problem. Meantime on flats I use waterproof socks, although they keep my feet dry, they can feel cold, so in winter I will wear a thin sock under them for insulation. This can make my shoes feel a little tight though, despite slackening laces.

TiRed

Boots and a decent mudflap to keep the spray off. Rode my Sidi hydros home through 15 miles of torrential rain last night to arrive with dry feet. Well dry enough not to need to change socks.

Water still gets down the top, so dry off with newspaper balls and into the airing cupboard overnight. You do remember to use newspaper? Magic stuff.

medoramas
    Free Member

+1 for overshoes!

I’ve been using the MT500 by Endura http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-mt500-mtb-overshoe/rp-prod17096

Yesterday it was really strong rain over here. Riding about 8 km on very roads, with constant front wheel spray directly on the feet (wide tyre, crud catcher…) and my shoes were bone dry after that!

Here is the photo of my shoe/sock after I took the overshoe off:

buck53

I can’t stretch to waterproof shoes at the moment. So I’ve been using mudguards, Sealskinz (both half price a few weeks ago) and overshoes in the worst of the rain last week. They’ve served me well so far, the overshoes are the neoprene type and aren’t totally waterproof but the socks have been faultless. Ski boot warmers at work as a back up, I can normally dry my shoes with the insoles out overnight at home (one advantage of using vented/meshy shoes in winter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shoes or waterproof socks?’ is closed to new replies.