Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Winter MTB Boots
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

about to hit buy on Spesh Defrosters, anything else to sway me before i do? to be used on road as well this winter, road bike on XTR SPD’s

how do they size up?

MSP

The current ones size up pretty big (or just right depending how you look at it) I take my normal shoe size and they are big enough for a nice thick sock.

However the ankle cuff doesn’t sit right, and the boa and covver flap are an over complication. I think the shimano boots are better designed, unfortunately they don’t make them big enough for me.

Northwave boots also seem to get good recommendations, but I haven’t tried them.

benji
    Free Member

Get them bought a great boot, had the Northwave ones for a number of years but the neoprene cuff went slack on mine, but I have got silly skinny ankles.

belugabob
    Free Member

Make your mind up pretty quick – winter boots are usually sold out by the end of September, so you’ve got the mild summer to thank.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just looked at these vs the Shimano ones. Shimano looks like it might be overly warm for me..? Fleece liner and sized for thick socks?

MSP

It’s only the insole on the shimano boots that is fleece lined.

PMK2060

I have just bought a pair of Shimano MW81’s. They feel comfy and well designed but I cannot comment on whether they are warm or waterproof resistant yet.

jameso

Shimano looks like it might be overly warm for me..?

Shimanos MW81s are waterproof enough, but not particularly warm ime. Size up to fit added liners and warm socks / extra layer in if you need to feel your feet after a few hours in cold conditions.

scotroutes

Shimanos MW81s are waterproof enough, but not particularly warm ime. Size up to fit added liners and warm socks / extra layer in if you need to feel your feet after a few hours in cold conditions.
    [/quote]That

I’ve just bought a pair of Northwave Gran Canions for a change (half price at bike-discount.de). My (now rather ancient) Shimano MT90s seem to be giving up on me. No shame as they’ve taken some abuse over the years.

My MW80s don’t seem to be deteriorating at all though, so I’ll save them for road use as the tread isn’t too good for hikey-bikey action.

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’m got some Shimano MW81s. Love them.

Only time I’ve every had water in them has entered through the hole my foot goes in, and mostly because my ankles are so skinny.

iainc

Current defrosters are great IMO. I used to size up but current ones are roomier so I have them in same size as my spesh shoes and wear with a pair of hiking socks. Best try before buying though.

gavstorie
    Free Member

Lake 303’s for me…

Built to last and they keep your feet dry and warm.

z1ppy

^^^ those for the win, Shinamo MW81 for those not quite rich enough, lovely and warm, loads better than my previous Northwave Celsius (non-arctic version)

PS: MT91’s for hike a bike option, though not great for keeping splashes out, they’re a brilliant option for ride that involve some walking.

d45yth
    Free Member

I’m surprised to see recommendations for the Shimano’s…they’re nowhere near as warm or long-lasting as they used to be. The latter goes for most Shimano shoes these days too.

Martin.B
    Free Member

Northwave Arctics for me
    I suffer with cold feet really bad but been toasty in these 🙂
    I went size up as I wear them with thicker socks

kcal

MT90s here – been well used, most seasons (even seen me using for extended trips in Amy / June). starting to fail now but done sterling service.

Speshpaul

According to Madison my shimano boots starting falling apart because it had been a wet winter (2013/14)

Now i have heard some bullocks in my time.

Run away…..

TiRed

I wear the defrosters all year round when Teen2 hasn’t stolen my xc shoes. Not too hot and not tooooo cold, sock choice (and insole thickness) helps here. Have some SH-W101s too, which are a lot heavier and not now waterproof.

Clobber
    Free Member

Don’t rate the old defrosters, MW81’s were warmer and more waterproof. So if the new ones aren’t warmer than the old ones, I’d say steer clear of the defrosters…

kcal

oh, and still got a pair of SH-W100s, looking a bit scuffed but very hard wearing 🙂

kilo

Got the rose.de winter boots, look a bit ott but been very good, better than my northwave road winter ones. clunky german boots

joolsburger
    Free Member

My shimanos were brilliant last winter, warm and dry, it wasn’t that cold TBH it was incredibly wet though.

Sui
    Free Member

I say this everytime one of these threads comes out, but mainly because i’d like someone to tell me what they are actually like. I think complete overkill, but i like that..

http://45nrth.com/products/footwear/wolvhammer

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a pair of Northwave Gran Canions for a change

scotroutes – how’s the fit compared to Shimanos?
    My MT90s are on their way out it seems…

MSP

What specialized should do is make a softshell boot on the “rime” platform. I reckon that would make a great winter shoe for 99% of the winter.

scotroutes

scotroutes – how’s the fit compared to Shimanos?
    My MT90s are on their way out it seems…
    [/quote]My MT90s are 43s and the Gran Canions are 42s. Both have room for a decent pair of socks 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

cheers.
    My Shimanos are 43 too, so I’ll risk the 42…

Painey
    Free Member

I bought a pair of deforesters for around £70 but I really don’t rate them at all.

They don’t keep my feet warm even with decent merino socks on. The flap that covers the laces is a real stretch to pull back over too, as in it barely fits. I have size 10.5 feet and have them in a 12 so they shouldn’t be that tight.

In short they’re a faff to put on and didn’t stop my feet from getting cold, even in what was a very mild winter last year.

MSP

They sound like the previous version.

Painey
    Free Member

Yes they’re the ones without the taller neoprene cuffs. Hugely unimpressed with them. My feet have stayed dry but that’s not really what I bought them for.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

defrosters not wide enough,

any other suggestions?

drlex
    Free Member

sui
    I say this everytime one of these threads comes out, but mainly because i’d like someone to tell me what they are actually like. I think complete overkill, but i like that..

http://45nrth.com/products/footwear/wolvhammer

I felt like that, too, but settled on the NW Ar(c)tics, which is just as well, as they’ve been perfect so far. The 45nrth stuff will have to wait until I move to B.C. (or anywhere above the 49th parallel), but in the meanwhile, you might ask Charlie the BM, as I’m sure he stocked them.

gazc
    Free Member

have had mw80’s and mw81’s – really happy with both of them nice and warm/dry feet. not tried other winter boots mind but the mw80’s were second hand and mw81’s on sale so went with cheapest at the time… think i got 2 sizes up to allow for monster socks

slowjo
    Free Member

I was browsing through a collection of videos on the GCN channel the other day. They were talking about getting cold feet and one solution was suggested as thin socks, aluminium foil wrapped round your toes/front of foot then your thicker socks then overshoes. Haven’t tried it, the theory looks sound though.

I went off winter boots, they are too clumpy and heavy. I always stick to layered socks then overshoes. I find this a preferable alternative. Having said that, we haven’t had a properly cold winter for a while and I might just have forgotten how cold it can get. My old Shimano boots are still stored away in the cupboard just in case!

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Love my Northware Arctic Celsius boots. My feet get cold easily, but in these are toasty warm.
    Very stiff though if you are looking to be walking any distance in them too.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

defrosters not wide enough,

any other suggestions?

Lake 303 in wide fitting, from Halfords.co.uk

the_lecht_rocks

Yep, I gave the old lakes mxz301. Pittards leather, 5 seasons old now, cleaned and polished as needed, like a pair of slippers and keep my always likely to freeze feet toasty.
    I reckon lakes are the best option for the price and longevity. Those 45nrth look good but no experience.

daern
    Free Member

A note on the Shimano MW81s – I was chatting to my wife about shoes and she was somewhat astonished to hear me say that if I could only ever wear one pair of shoes again in my whole life (and let’s be honest, they’d need to be bloody comfy ones!) they would unquestionably be Shimano MW81s. They are /that/ comfy.

Others have mentioned feeling the cold in them. I’ve never had this problem myself, despite some pretty chilly rides over the last two years (I think minus 15C was the coldest). They have also never let a drop of water in, unless I actually step in above the ankle, in which case it’s my own fault, really 🙂

Highly recommended.

Fat-boy-fat

MT91s here. Come up a bit small. Not that warm but work well with a thick pair of woolly socks. Perfect for the inevitable winter hike a bike though.

kiwijohn

My MT90’s are also on there way out after 8 winters. Only Shimano shoe to outlast Time cleats.
    The big decision now is MT91’s or the new Giros?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Winter MTB Boots’ is closed to new replies.