Viewing 40 posts - 2,081 through 2,120 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • dakuan
    Free Member

44mm case….im a 40mm max, ideally 38

tthew

I’ve bought a vintage Russian watch on ebay (on a whim) but need a simple but “nice” leather strap for it.

Pictures dude – it’s like getting a new bike, photo’s is the rule!

Im thinking brown, calfskin. Not interested in a brand cos the watch is not worth much. Any recommendations?

Etsy tends to have quite a lot of choice at decent prices from independent makers. I had a nicely made leather NATO from there once.

dakuan
    Free Member

rumour is the bottom left one is going to be 40.5mm…

cookeaa

that kickstarter is crazy. The FW-91 is notoriously robust anyway (and cheap) so why do that to it? Still, they hit their target so who am i to question?

That’s the thing that really annoys me about Kickstarter, it’s part of what gives millennials a bad name.
    All you need is a couple of vapid hipsters, who manage to take someone else’s perfectly good existing (and iconic) product and badly re-package it. In the process removing most of the useful features, and making it significantly worse for the environment, all because they’ve learned how to use a 3d printer and some epoxy.
    The lack of a decent idea that needs funding isn’t a barrier anymore, the major motivation is probably that they’ve finished their Industrial design course and don’t want to find actual jobs…

With the tools they obviously already had at their disposal, they could have actually come up with something worthwhile…

Nope a waste of resources, money and time. I vote for the firing squad.

ctk
    Free Member

Love the Stowa and Sseiko SQ.

neilnevill
    Free Member

dakuan, I’ve limited experience (just my Sumo) but I think you’ll find seikos where very much smaller than the dimensions suggest. My sumo is 45mm case and I expected it to be comically huge on my flat and just over 6.5″ wrist but it isn’t. Its large yes, but it isn’t particularly tall and it is really, really comfortable! I’ve realised its for several reasons.
    1. The sumo may be big but its not heavy, compared to my PO (which is only the 41.5mm version, but an utter beast) its light….although not as light as my Pelagos.
    2. the sumo may be big but its not too tall. don’t get me wrong, its not thin, but its not as thick as either of the other watches.
    3. This is biggy, its got curved/shaped lugs that curve around the wrist and sort of ‘cuddle’ it. and
    4. the case sides are not slabby, they have HUGE chamfers, so the watch does not have any edge to dig in, again making it comfy.
    5. the crown at 4 oclock. a very seiko thing that i still think looks weird, but means it doesn’t jab into the back of your hand.

the result is a watch that feels comfy, has presence but isn’t as nuts as the dimensions suggest, and slips under a cuff well.

I haven’t posted photos of the sumo before, hopefully I’ve found a working app to embed from google…..let’s see.

Very very long clasp! the bit at the top, before the links start, is the diver’s extension

the chamfer and the curved case/lugs

as you see, the chamfer and curve really allow the watch to ‘cuddle’ the wrist

bracelet is good and comfy too

and finally, yes its big, but it doesn’t overwhelm even my fairly skinny wrists.

oh and the green is luuurvely! 🙂

tthew

4. the case sides are not slabby, they have HUGE chamfers, so the watch does not have any edge to dig in, again making it comfy.

I think that is a consideration that most of the watch reviewers miss, but very much influences how a watch wears. My left wrist is just a touch over 6 inches, (if you look at it, it’s actually a bit deformed, right wrist is 6.5 inches, I think because I wore a watch quite tight when I was developing from when I was in junior school) yet my SKX007, which is 41mm looks fine. Diameter at the wrist is 37mm.

sorry about the metric/imperial measurement mix.

johnners
    Free Member

the green is luuurvely!

Oh my yes.

tthew

If anyone is interested, there a nice looking 7002-700 on eBay. £180 buy it now feels like a fair price.

irc

q1 How do watch collectors store their collection. I’ve got up to 5, mostly solar, currently jusy lying on the window sill when not being worn. Some sort of stand might be worthwhile.

Q2. I’ve only 1 watch with an automatic movement. It seems to keep going for a day or two when not worn. Do auto watch owners just left them run to a stop when not being worn then wind and set when next used?

tthew

Q2 – I just leave the watches I’m not wearing to run down and set them next time I put them on, but you can buy special Watch Winders that spin them over occasionally to keep them going

johnners
    Free Member

How do watch collectors store their collection. I’ve got up to 5, mostly solar, currently jusy lying on the window sill when not being worn. Some sort of stand might be worthwhile.

I’ve currently got a dozen in a cheap display case from Amazon or ebay (can’t remember) but it’s just a convenient way to store them, they’re not on display as such. The other 8 or 10 are in watch rolls or lying around.

Q2 A few are quartz which obviously take care of themselves, other than that I’ll maybe have a couple of automatics on the go and I’ll keep them wound but the bulk I’m happy to wind and reset as and when I fancy wearing them.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Has anybody got experience of the LIV brand?

null

nicko74

The new addition to my collection. First impressions are it’s hefty, but wears a little smaller than the numbers suggest, and well-made

lunge

q1 How do watch collectors store their collection. I’ve got up to 5, mostly solar, currently jusy lying on the window sill when not being worn. Some sort of stand might be worthwhile.

I’ve got a display box which I think holds 12. It’s got a drawer underneath where I keep things like cuff links too.

Q2. I’ve only 1 watch with an automatic movement. It seems to keep going for a day or two when not worn. Do auto watch owners just left them run to a stop when not being worn then wind and set when next used?

You can buy winders, but mine just get put back in the watch until they are worn again when they get wound or given a shake and I set the time. I’m sure I read that this may not be the very best way to do it but I’ve got nothing mega expensive in the collection so don’t worry about it.

Murray

That Oris is lovely!

nicko74

Thanks Murray! I got hooked on wanting a mechanical watch with more than the usual 38-44 hours of power, so I could leave it a few days and still come back to find it running. Hamilton and Tissot do 80-100 hour reserve watches; Panerai and IWC do manuals with 8 days of power but they’re out of budget.
    The Oris is manual, with a 10-day power reserve – this one’s the GMT. Lovely bracelet too, better even than my Omega AT. Next step might be to source an Oris strap with deployant for it.

Murray

In house calibre 111 too – very classy!

mikertroid
    Free Member

On that Oris, which hand is adjustable in 1h increments? The hour hand or the GMT hand?

My B&R 123GMT has the GMT as the jumping hand, which kind of makes it useless as a GMT watch!! Nice looking as a dress watch though.

nicko74

The GMT is the jumping hand on the Oris – I think one review described it as a ‘caller’s GMT’. I wasn’t sure about it at first, but it works for me; I have family dotted about the place, so being able to check what time it is where they are is useful. It also incorporates half-hour increments, for time zones like India (but not Nepal…) etc.

Interestingly, Oris’s own ProPilot Worldtimer GMT does it the other way, I believe, with the main hour hand being the jumping hand. One wonders if there’s any particular thinking behind the different choices.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Okay, I think I might look at an Alpiner GMT. Or keep my Garmin on my wrist!!

igm

I have the Oris Pro Pilot GMT (not the world timer) and it too has a jumping GMT hand.

Like this if the link works. Currently on the stainless bracelet but I have the black nylon deployment too. It’s a toss up – nice and simple either way.
    https://cdn2.jomashop.com/media/catalog/product/o/r/oris-big-crown-propilot-gmt-black-dial-men_s-watch-748-7710-4164bkfs-01_748_7710_4164-07_5_22_15fc.jpg

igm

PS I also have a Seiko Prospex Kinetic GMT – that has the jumping hour hand.

Like this.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/8C1XSqAiFHFeYeSq9

Kato

Oris is lovely. Tried a 45mm ProPilot but it was too big for me. 41mm gunmetal one is on my radar

toofarwest

Been looking at a Zenith purchase for my forthcoming 50th, prices have just gone up by £1k 🙁

beanum

Re: Watchwinders. This article suggests they’re not such a good idea…

GearPatrol

nicko74

I have the Oris Pro Pilot GMT (not the world timer) and it too has a jumping GMT hand.
    Like this if the link works. Currently on the stainless bracelet but I have the black nylon deployment too. It’s a toss up – nice and simple either way.

I love the Pro Pilot look, especially the non-111/114 ones – the face is so simple and uncluttered. I have the black strap on order too. And despite the size, because of the way they’re shaped, they’re not *too* too big, even on my skinny wrists.

igm

And the strap release is an aircraft seat belt release on the black strap. 👍

It’ll make sense when you see it.

irc

@Barnum

Loads of nice stuff on that Gear Patrol website. A few heads would explode if that was posted on the climate change thread.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

If you own you own CNC shop what about……

Kato

I know some of you boys have the Alkin Model One, and I quite like the current limited green dial with the orange second hand.

Thing is the indices are printed rather than applied and I can’t decide if it make the dial look cheap as it’s so flat. What’s the opinion? I had a brief chat with them about the out of stock black dial and they seemed to hint they could find me one if I really wanted one…

Green Model One

Kato

Forgot to say the white and black faces have applied numbers rather than printed numbers

lunge

My local jeweller is at it again, they now have a Rolex Sub “Kermit” for sale. Not unreasonable price and with papers etc.

I can’t afford it in any way, but if anyone here wants one I can give you their details.

johnners
    Free Member

Thing is the indices are printed rather than applied and I can’t decide if it make the dial look cheap as it’s so flat.

It’s a field watch style (albeit in more of a flieger size), printed looks absolutely fine. But bear in mind I’m an unreliable witness, given my fondness for a green dial.

Kato

Yeah the green dial and orange second hand certainly make it more interesting than black & white

Decisions

dakuan
    Free Member

IMHO, if you can get one, the BW alkin is the one

dakuan
    Free Member

null

looks like Seiko have heard me…this one out this year, priced at $1300

jamiep
    Free Member

I first posted here asking about Q Timex, decided it was overpriced, bought a Vostok just for something unusual/fun. I actually got an Amphibian and a Komandirskie, both what I thought were the architypal designs. Changed bezel and straps on both. Still don’t know what to do with the Kom strap

Impossible to take a good photo
    null

tthew

I love a Vostock. I’ve put this on here before, pages back, can’t find it. It’s a Komanderskie replacement for a broken one I bought on a Inter-railing trip in 1993. The strap on this one is one of those Marine Nationale elastic jobs, At the moment I can’t find any in the 18mm you need, I fancy trying a black/red stripe one. You can’t put a NATO on a Russian watch though – (frankly French seems wrong, but I really like it)
    null

Kryton57

Jamie p I notice the parnis Daytona in your pic – how do you find it?

Viewing 40 posts - 2,081 through 2,120 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.