Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 434 total)
  • Types of forum user
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Disliked the tags as it was away for cowards without the nerve to stand up for their own views to just post abusive stuff [ they even seem to accept it was used for bullying on here]. How can you be so timid that you are too scared to post using a nom de plume on an anonymous Internet website.
    If tags come back how about displaying the posters name ?

They were often funny though

chakaping
    Free Member

Please don’t show our post count, I really don’t want to know.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Finding it difficult to have an opinion one way or the other… thinking hard.. hmmm, tea…. still thinking… boil kettle…. unwrap biscuits…. what were we talking about?

druidh
    Free Member

zokes – Member
    I’ll take your word for it. I’ve only been a member since 2005.
    Perhaps it’s sarcasm like this they’re trying to get rid of?

I wasn’t being sarcastic. I reckon that, even by 2005, it had passed that level of “cosiness”.

GW – Member
    > Of course there are some characters that annoy me, some are over-eager to jump in on a discussion
    from the man who cimments on every thread?

Every thread? I just had a look at a couple of pages of threads and did a count. On the three pages I looked at, I reckon I’d posted on 5 out of 45 threads. That would indicate that you are either just very lucky in being able to spot the threads I post on or you are stalking me. It’s not like you to indulge in hyperbole GW.

PS – That was sarcasm.

cynic-al
    Free Member

On balance, I like the simplicity of this place. You could never please everyone with what might be added.

Tags were funny. fair enough some thought they ended up as bullying, when they were directed at me I just tagged back. TBF if you argue etc as much as I did/some do you can’t really complain too much.

I joined in 2003, there may not have been as much arguing then, but there were “big hitters” like theprawn who would bully folk, and for some inexplicable reason, were fawned over.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

From twitter:

@singletrackmark: Site analytics reveal almost a 10% increase in unique users in the last month. Now 879k uniques/month. How long till we reach a million?

😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is that just different ISP when we use our phone, work , home computer or are they claiming each one is an actual different person visiting?

STW do seem keen on getting as many as possible.

druidh
    Free Member

Those figures will be for the whole site, not just the forum. Junkyard – I think you have it right, individual IP addresses, though you can do stuff with cookies which gets it closer to individual devices.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

When i was at sea, the old hands used to say that you had to do three years before the mast before you could be considered a proper seaman, that was and is ballocks, when i first joined a ‘debate’ on here i was pulled up by some for being ‘new’ — what right did i have to question their ‘status/opinion’– surely you want to make a site egalitarian as possible, inclusive not exclusive, keep things simple, — or as yossarian hints are there commercial considerations lurking behind these ideas

GrahamS

Okay, we already have our Premier signs by members names.

So why not just add an “L” plate for new members (so they get treated more gently AND more warily on classifieds and possible spam)?

And maybe a “Yellow Card” symbol for folk who are currently on a warning? 😀

scuzz
    Free Member

when i first joined a ‘debate’ on here i was pulled up by some for being ‘new’

Your alias is similar to an old alias used by a member who was repeatedly banned. Some people thought you were that person returning with a new alias – that’s all. 🙂

GrahamS

when i first joined a ‘debate’ on here i was pulled up by some for being ‘new’

One of the most notorious, now lifetime-banned, Big Hitters on here had the username “rudeboy” (amongst many others).

You can understand why some were a little suspicious of “rudebwoy” – don’t take it personally.

peterfile
    Free Member

Interesting “How can we increase our advertising revenue improve things for you guys” thread

D0NK

I struggle with long sentences so not sure if it’s already been suggested or if it’s possible but can we have our own notes section? So when logged in we can put notes against a user, so those of us with crap memories can remind ourselves who we’re talking with. Just for our own info, not publicly displayed.

DOnk, tall hairy northerner rides a hemlock
    Junkyard, witchfinder general on a 5
    troutie creator of awesome lightage
    Lowey, lord of rivington manor

Just an idea

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yer go away on t’holibobs and this happens.

It ani’t broke’s like sar dunnaie fix it.

But do bring back the Tags, they were hilarious and very witty indeed.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I believe mine was witchfinder general of the left rather than just witch finder. is that a promotion or a demotion before I decide how upset I am ?

Moderator: thought police 😉

rudebwoy
    Free Member

was rudeboy a professional antagonist, the W in mine gives a whole different connotation,how the name arose is another story……

The mods/admin can suss these things out pretty quickly, can’t see the need to involve all hands in subjective tagging, there’s enough of that unofficially anyhow

richmtb

Is it April fool already?

cynic-al
    Free Member

FWIW I think the mod crackdown is probably a good thing.

Before it was like some arguing was allowed, but it was a grey line as to what would get you a ban. Now it’s much clearer, and nicer.

Still not sure how GW gets away with it tho.

D0NK

And maybe a “Yellow Card” symbol for folk who are currently on a warning?

I foresee a lot of goading of yellow card holders 🙂 but could be interesting.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

rudebwoy – Member

was rudeboy a professional antagonist

rudeboy, under his various aliases was, unfortunately, subject to the raging effects of ADHD which led to him eventually, after several bannings becoming offensively abusive to one of the mods.

Execution swiftly followed.

You can still follow his rants on FB and Twitter, apparently…

bikebouy
    Free Member

WHihlst I’m on and thinking about it… Why indeed not have some sort of L Plate (as mentioned) for newbies.. we can then single them out for ridicule.. perfect.. and deffo a “yellow card” for those on some sort of warning.. we too could point at them and giggle.. quite possibly a dunces hat or a virtual “corner of a room” where we could indeed look at them and laugh.. THen perhaps we could have a good boys and girls section for those that sit at the front, take notes and perform well in exams.. and what about the creative types, those that aren’t quite as akademik as others, you know a sort of Art Skool area..
    Can we have a restaurant section too.. lets fill it with coffee and biccies and cake.

What an odd topic to bring to the forum.

rOcKeTdOg

Still not sure how GW gets away with it tho.

🙂 that comment is almost a funny as Valverde complaining about riders cheating in the Vuelta

GW
    Free Member

Get away with what Al?
    Oh.. and 2003? You aint really a BIG anything, you’re a bit of a noob here really 😉

TimB – I remember you, CoyoteDH3 around 2001, eh?

GW
    Free Member

Ps. Was 2003 pre or post log-in req to post?

mogrim

Bring back tags, a post count / member since / avatar thing would be OK, (as long as the avatar is a small, ideally non-animated image). This labelling* thing would be divisive, and probably lead to more people leaving.

* apart from 0-50 posts = newbie, 50-1000 = … etc.

slackalice
    Free Member

TimB – I remember you, CoyoteDH3 around 2001, eh?

TBH GW, not really 😳 though it does form some kinda recollection, sorry ’bout that. Much has happened on all levels for me since ’01.

I do remember a chap called Alex (Leith?), top dude and good riding around the Chilterns, he also had a SC Superlight at the time – they were rather niche back then 😉 Thought I saw him in an MBR ride guide thing a little while back in the South West IIRC.

GW
    Free Member

Coulda been TimD 😉

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lj056ao6GE[/video]

restless
    Free Member

Instead of an actual post count in numbers, you could have a little bike next to your name, increasing in size or number, depending on how many posts you make.
    So if you are new, you get a small bike or maybe just one bike, then the more you post you get a second bike, or a bigger bike, depending on which works best, up to a maximum of say 5 bikes for the people that post the most.
    Then when you have your maximum number they change colour!

It could encourage people to make more posts as they want to see their bike grow or get more bikes.
    But it also shows other members if somebody os new or less experienced on the forum.

druidh
    Free Member

So we all end up on 29ers?

Hi GW – * waves *

cynic-al
    Free Member

You’re more obnoxious than anyone on here at the moment Gary, don’t pretend otherwise.

RD your record is stuck, whine at someone else, eh?

zokes
    Free Member

Saucer of milk?

rOcKeTdOg

RD your record is stuck, whine at someone else, eh?

But no one else of importance apart from cynical exsists on this forum if we read your posts correctly

Maybe “approved by cynical” next to forum names would be a good idea? I fear the list of users would be short however

Jamie
    Free Member

Saucer of milk?

scuzz
    Free Member

Is it just me, or do tags work?

druidh
    Free Member

As a Premier user, you can still Tag – but only when you post. This makes it easier for the mods to trace the tagger.

Hi GW – * waves *

scuzz
    Free Member

As a Premier user, you can still Tag – but only when you post. This makes it easier for the mods to trace the tagger.

With great power… 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Surely the fact the tag is linked to the poster in your database (hence you can delete your own tags on a thread) makes it very easy for the mods to trace the tagger without having to guess based on who posted when? Or does Tom’s software not allow you to do that (maybe he should be working on that than adding flags for troublemakers)?

I can kind of understand the point of only allowing tagging when you post, as that prevents tagging without contributing to the thread, but it’s killed off tagging, as generally you don’t think of a tag at the same time as you post. I suppose it depends what the mods think the point of tags was anyway – for many of us it was a bit of harmless fun, but it seems they’re only supposed to be for serious purposes. The irony is that I did sometimes used to go onto threads just to add useful tags, but can’t do that any more.

You could always just get rid of the tags altogether if they’re so misused – or if abuse via tags was such a problem just ban people from tagging.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Two hundredz.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 434 total)

The topic ‘Types of forum user’ is closed to new replies.