Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 434 total)
  • Types of forum user
  • Premier Icon Mark
    Subscriber

I hear the sites traffic is continually increasing. So maybe there is a bit of extra cash available from increased ad revenue rates?

That’s not how it works.

Jamie

That’s not how it works.

Cheers for that.

Premier Icon deluded
    Subscriber

I say bring them back, but hovering over the tag will display the user who posted them, perhaps?

+1

I used to laugh at ‘Volvo For Sale’ but never really knew why! What does it mean?

I think that got posted wherever cynic-al posted something.

Premier Icon deluded
    Subscriber

DD – I understand that … but why? What’s the relevance – does he have a love of Scandinavian cars?

Wasn’t he selling a Volvo once? On the classifieds?*

*I may have made this up.

soobalias

Als car threads were the stuff of legends.
    or was that not on here?

KISS – i would like a simple pie chart showing the level of activity on bike/chat/classifieds, stick it in the users profile alongside the date joined at the top of the detail

ps. its page 11, i read the first three posts and the last three.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

ARMAGEDDON!!!

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTrOb8zyrZk[/video]

πŸ˜€

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer
    Subscriber

Please don’t do anything that detracts from the lovely muted colours and simple layout that no one notices when I’m skiving in the office. I’d use other forums more but their lairy avatars and signatures make me nervously keep looking over my shoulder.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

i volunteer to be a moderator πŸ™‚

Jamie

i volunteer to be a moderator

Well, he can do the work of several men…

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

that’s printed out and hung over your fireplace isn’t it πŸ™‚

Jamie

that’s printed out and hung over your fireplace isn’t it

I have files on everyone.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

do i need to apply in writing to get all my details removed under the Data protection act?

It’s nice in here, a bit lest feisty since the wielding of the BH, seemed a bit harsh but not been around long enough to see peeps previous indiscretions.

Never tried the report button before (Sorry Woppit you just happened to be in front of me when I gave it a playful poke – no Assange references please, there’s no room left in the Ecuadorian embassy).

No other forum I use has one or seems to need one, they are pretty much self policing, but they are way more ‘relaxed’ than here, prob because the participants know each other and do abuse one another on FB/Email/text and meet face to face.

I have had some helpful comments on the proper bit and enjoyed the general mischievous banter on this bit. Don’t change it too much. TTFN

Junkyard

But as I watch people being picked off and banned for life, people that I have not always agreed with but with whom I have had long, interesting, informed and sometimes even polite discussions with; I find myself increasingly twitchy, watching what I say, posting less and tiptoeing around trying not to upset anyone.

That isn’t, for me, the “like a pub full of (middle-aged) mountain bikers” forum that I have grown to love.

Sorry
    THIS

I possibly need to watch what I say much more than Graham though

take the kasae thread – grahamS and I were polite and gentle when trying to explain rather than saying what we really thought we still got accused of bullying.
    If someone reported us for bullying would our cards be marked for future reports??

Jamie

what we really thought we still got accused of bullying.

That was by Molgrips though, I think even the mods realise he is a delicate little flower.

Junkyard

Yes but it may just be more anonymous types doing the same

I was as restrained as i could possibly be on that thread…I only just resisted saying what I thought on this one πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

Actually kaesae just accused me again JY after I stuck my head back in. πŸ˜•
    I’m trying to “respectfully debate” as Mark puts it, but that doesn’t seem possible as just disagreeing with kaesae seems to upset him, so again I’m biting my tongue and feeling like I’m being watched.

Jamie

Actually kaesae just accused me again JY after I stuck my head back in.

Report him. If not for that, then for calling everyone retards before ninja-editing it….but here is the thing, you won’t, as we all know what to expect when entering a Kaesae thread.

Yet reacting to being on the end of the insults, gets you saddled with accusations of bullying.

hilldodger

Jamie – Member
    …..I think even the mods realise he is a delicate little flower.

That’s natural sprinters for ya…….

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Just dropped back in to see WTF was going on to get this to 11 pages 😯

however,

Edit feature = worst ever addition to the forum IMO

I was one of the ones that reported the kaesae thread. πŸ™‚

No, really, I was. Just fessin’ up.

EDIT: at around page 2/3

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

S’ok DubbaD, I reported it as “one to watch” when people started talking about “bullying”.

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Edit feature = worst ever addition to the forum IMO

No way. Have you any idea how often I make typos I don’t spot till after I post?

Premier Icon GrahamS
    Subscriber

No way. Have you any idea how often I make typos I don’t spot till after I post?

Lodes?

Subscriber

Who cares ? Its not like we’re all anal about grammar’n’shit on here

removing the facility might just make some people think a bit before sending and maybe make others a bit more typo-tolerant (or else a bit more frothy about the mouth)

– interesting how opinions can differ so greatly though, isn’t it πŸ˜‰

… and I guess, ultimately, that’s what makes the place so much fun

Junkyard

If there is one thing I dislike it is badly typed posts 😳
    Why bother
    i used to have a laptop and would often hit the touch pad accidently with my hand and type in the middle of a sentence and would often type incomprehensible drivel [ I set them up for you πŸ˜‰ ]

Subscriber

I have a wireless keyboard that misses about 1 in 20 charcters, and my typing is 2 fingers only and veryu unrelaible (sic)

can’t say it bothers me though currently do change things after they pop up, mostly for fear of being thought unable to spell 😳

– interesting how opinions can differ so greatly though, isn’t it?

… and I guess, ultimately, that’s what makes the place so much fun
    Unless you’re a moderator. πŸ˜‰

Jamie

Edit function is great. Certain users seem to ninja edit more than others though….I think Don Simon used to be a dab hand at it. Bit annoying when you quote someone, and then they change their post sometimes.

Junkyard

Bit annoying when you quote someone, and then they change their post sometimes.

dont look a gift horse in the mouth, have one on me πŸ˜‰

zokes

That isn’t, for me, the “like a pub full of (middle-aged) mountain bikers” forum that I have grown to love.

Nope, it’s now a lot more like those pretentious country pubs that demand all muddy clothes be taken off prior to entry. They either need to lighten up, or not have a pub in the country!

Don’t run a discussion forum if you don’t like robust discussion. Simples

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Interesting that people think it’s more strict here though. I’d dispute that! BikeRadar has far more moderation IMO, posts only get locked/deleted here if they do something fairly unpleasant. They delete any thread asking about valuations, or asking things covered in the stickies etc.

WeightWeenies delete any eBay links, and for a while were deleting shop links too, so you couldn’t do a “what do you think of these” type post. That’s ridiculous!

toys19

As such, we choose to use your posts as a record of what you have contributed to the forum over the years. Removing your name and posts from the forum record would devalue the worth of the forum as our published work.

I think it is interesting that what I have not really realised, (or deluded myself about) is that the forum is essentially here to provide “content” for the site, the purpose of which is to increase advertising revenue. Which means that we are providing Messers Chipps and Alker with their chips and lager just by typing here.

Which kind of makes Mark’s complaints about people subverting the ads on here (and hence denting his income) seem a bit hollow, seeing as those very people are the content and that which attracts the ads. Oooh the power we have..

Anyway now that that has sunk in, I am going to think long and hard before I provide the “owners” of this site with a free lunch again.

theocb

OP; Not sure labels will help the forum.

STW Forums breed TROLL’s
    It seems as though people start off sharing their wealth of knowledge from years of riding and general life experience
    Slowly over time they become a little too comfortable in their new surroundings the ego grows and he/she starts to believe in their own hype.
    Before they know what has happened they are posting (over and over again) on everyone’s thread trying to bully and ridicule anyone who disagrees or has something to say that doesn’t sit well for the new TROLL
    Suddenly they believe they have superpowers and know everything and are in some way helping the masses by shutting up and humiliating the quirky posters.
    Then you get the Lord of the Flies effect where the little TROLL’s come out to play and the cycle continues.
    Gentle reminders that Threads are not there to be proof read by some sort of elite breed of TROLL; If you don’t like the thread then move right on by and keep your gob shut!! and if that fails get medievel with the BANHAMMER
    IMO.

Surely everyone has a right to say within reason their opinion otherwise stw mods would be acting as a communist state dictator would.

You say trolls but it’s important that it’s just in reply to a thread with information that can be taken with a pinch of salt or ignored so works both ways see.

Clearly so many can’t see the light on here and act like complete cats (you know who you are) and that if it was not for a projection soap box known as the computer then most of us on here would shut the hell up 80% of the time.

It is a good forum and very informative but many are in denial and refuse to either understand or believe other peoples experience or views on different matters raised.

Peace out.

patriotpro

cynic-al – Member
    May I just state, for the record, the Brotherhood of Hitting Big in no way sanctioned the recent “out-of-control rogue-arguing” of several former members.

Certain other rogue-arguers continue to cause chaos on forums – these individuals are in no way linked to the Brotherhood.

Remember: enjoy your arguing responsibly

Feeling sleepy all of a sudden.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 434 total)

The topic ‘Types of forum user’ is closed to new replies.