Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 434 total)
  • Types of forum user
  • scaredypants

is “harmless gobshite” taken yet ? 8)

agreed that most of the useful info is avilable on our profiles already, but I always liked “argues” (as in the tag SFB argues) and I loved “troll” next to whassisname yesterday 😆

so

argues
    stream-of-consciousness loon
    over-sensitive

cynic-al
    Free Member

deluded – Member
    AAMOI – what’s the provenance of the term ‘Big Hitter’ on this forum. When and who came up with that?

Also when’s the next selection process to become a Moderator?

I first brought it here I think.

If you want to be a mod, you probably shouldn’t be one.

rkk01
    Free Member

No. We’re trying to make it a friendly community that it once was.

That’s very laudable, and I hope achievable. But a very delicate balancing act to perform…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No. We want members to suggest names tags for members that everyone can see, the titles that mods will see will be different and undisclosed.

And what if the tag that somebody is given upsets the user? As is frequently pointed out on twitter (and you guys do read twitter, don’t you?), there are plenty of posters here who are overwhelmingly negative. So what do they get called? Does a premier user get the chance to veto his or her tag?

Or will there be a list of categories?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And what if the tag that somebody is given upsets the user?

Agreed. Do what you like on the back end, but no need in here.

On the Classifieds? Well there I can see the benefit, as it might help cut down on the scammers.

Here – Just have “Member” or “Premium Member”. Nothing more, thanks.

slackalice
    Free Member

‘Slacker ratio’

Hello? Anyone call?

😀

yossarian
    Free Member

No. We want members to suggest names tags for members that everyone can see, the titles that mods will see will be different and undisclosed.

Why have 2 different sets? What’s the thinking behind that then?

No. We’re trying to make it a friendly community that it once was.

Oh for gods sake when will you lot wake up? The people that post on here haven’t changed. Your sensibilities have altered, perhaps for commercial reasons, perhaps others or maybe everyone’s just got a little older. This kind of clumsy attempt to filter people will kill this site quicker than any ‘rogue’ user group.

Klunk
    Free Member
    avdave2

How about Stasi for the mods?

Tom
    Free Member

This is more a matter of opportunity than design. Let me also say I do do work to help the moderators with technical things, which on a forum such as this are probably fairly obvious, and they do a great job of identifying the trolls already. The changes behind the scenes are irrelevant. And these changes are irrelevant to any recent emphases on moderation policy.

brooess
    Free Member

not sure what it would add tbh. Anything subjective labelling is just likely to cause upset IMO.
    Over time you generally get to work out people’s nature and ignore those who argue or get abusive
    Sellers can be spotted just by looking at their posting history or a quick google search

rkk01
    Free Member

Oh for gods sake when will you lot wake up? The people that post on here haven’t changed. Your sensibilities have altered, perhaps for commercial reasons, perhaps others or maybe everyone’s just got a little older. This kind of clumsy attempt to filter people will kill this site quicker than any ‘rogue’ user group.

My point exactly

magowen100
    Free Member

It’s not going to attract users to the site though is it?
    The forum is a great place because of the diversity of experience and knowledge – some people just need to tune out once in a while as the genuine can get drowned out by the ‘white noise’ of the big hitters/ social mal-adjusts (delete as appropriate)
    I think it’ll just create more work for the mods.

Drac

We’re after all feedback for this, if the general feedback is that’s it’s not wanted, make the place less unwelcome or upset folks then it may not go ahead. We wanted everyone as members and the community to have a say.

Oh for gods sake when will you lot wake up? The people that post on here haven’t changed. Your sensibilities have altered, perhaps for commercial reasons, perhaps others or maybe everyone’s just got a little older.

It’s both but we do get emails from people saying they’re leaving as they don’t find it a friendly place anymore, I can’t remember getting one from someone saying they were leaving as it over modded.

project
    Free Member

Tom – Administrator

I agree. Fortunately I have extensive experience of exploratory multivariate analysis and think I can knock up some decent factors and algorithms. However I think it would be wise to identify recently registered users no matter what.

Slacker ratio

LOL. Economists would weep.

Just what the hell does that mean, remember some of us are terminally thick.

deluded
    Free Member

cynic-al, then it’s you we have to congratulate. No designs on modding just interested.

Klunk – good link. Favourite could be the ‘Furious Typer’ – few of those on here.

Drac

The forum is a great place because of the diversity of experience and knowledge – some people just need to tune out once in a while as the genuine can get drowned out by the ‘white noise’ of the big hitters/ social mal-adjusts (delete as appropriate)

Describe it well but we want to get rid of the white noise as much as possible, we’ve had evidence that white noise putting people off and making people leave.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If someone leaves because he or she feels it’s over-modded, he or she is less likely to let you know than one who leaves because he or she gets upset easily.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I think it’ll just create more work for the mods.

Surely any well run forum needs significant input from the mods anyway. In spite of the big hitters being banished there appear to be a fair few less than savoury comments slipping under the radar.

scaredypants

How about “new” either if under 6 months or 50 posts – that way we might be expected to be extra nice to them unless they obviously are looking for an argument

If you really care (and probably just for mods’ consumption) how about some sort of “like” / “dislike” option for posts ? – less of an issue than “report this post” but might give you an idea of how valued a poster is overall (sorry to use him as an example, but TJ would prob have had plenty of likes as well as dislikes and I suppose that may be useful to you in wielding the hammer of ban)

cynic-al
    Free Member

deluded, glad you like it, it was only ever intended to bring humour.

colournoise

The tags are harmless IMHO and can actually add to the community feel of a forum.

I mod (infrequently now TBH) a music forum that (guessing as I can’t find the info on STW) is a fair bit bigger than this one (close to 250k members) and has a similarly diverse mix of characters. It uses only 3 or 4 tags based on post count which gives a decent idea of a member’s longevity and/or contribution to the forum without prejudicing judgements on their character.

The mods/admins also ‘award’ personalised tags as a light-hearted way of recognising certain character traits or momentous forum occasions (mine is ‘The Teach’ for example) – IMHO this is cohesive rather than divisive as it creates references to shared experiences for the forum members.

slainte 😀 rob

yossarian
    Free Member

The changes behind the scenes are irrelevant.

No they aren’t if you are running a dual system of ‘scoring’. Do we also get to choose how the scores are weighted and applied?

And these changes are irrelevant to any recent emphases on moderation policy.

Itchy chin 🙂 If it is in fact true then your timing is spectacularly bad

Edit: Drac – people have been flouncing off here publicly for YEARS AND YEARS. Their reason usually is because it’s not like it was.

Drac

Surely any well run forum needs significant input from the mods anyway. In spite of the big hitters being banished there appear to be a fair few less than savoury comments slipping under the radar.

It does but it also needs members to report any issues, we don’t read eery topic never mind post so they don’t always get seen.

If someone leaves because he or she feels it’s over-modded, he or she is less likely to let you know than one who leaves because he or she gets upset easily

Surely it’s the same thing?

footflaps

It might be quieter after the recent banfest, but I’m glad to see the back of endless slagging match threads between certain Trolls / Big Hitters. The Chat forum had become more like a prison yard than playground.

Rorschach
    Free Member

😯
    (lazy will do)

BadlyWiredDog

What sort of labels were you thinking of adding? It treads a fine line between gentle humour and mild institutionalised bullying, particularly if people have labels foisted on them. It might just enrage folk and send them feral, even the basically friendly ones… like rabies 😕

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s both but we do get emails from people saying they’re leaving as they don’t find it a friendly place anymore, I can’t remember getting one from someone saying they were leaving as it over modded

Well I assume you can check vists and see how many leave – what % of those who leave have given that reason? Were they all premier users?
    You may just be hearing the loudest [ moaniest] voices and serving them.

Perhaps worth having some input from those who remain as to what makes this place special rather than asking why people leave ask why they stay?

Its a big forum you will not keep everyone happy no matter what you do.

FWIW in light of recent events I will be thinking hard about my renewal when it comes around so as I said you cannot please everyone but only some of us pay for all of this.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

A lot of other forums have Post Count and Member Since against the members name. Don’t see any harm in that.

The modding of late does seem to have made it a ‘safer’ place to post. To be honest the nonsense around Big Hitters was putting me off posting as it did seem to be a self proclamation of greatness.

Just keep up the good work modding. I don’t see this site as over modded, but I do think it had been under modded for some time.

GrahamS

It’s both but we do get emails from people saying they’re leaving as they don’t find it a friendly place anymore, I can’t remember getting one from someone saying they were leaving as it over modded.

That’s pretty damning – but it’s worth considering you also have a very strong core of users who have been here for longer than they care to remember and generally love the place, but probably don’t send you emails saying so. Me for one!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Surely it’s the same thing?

Well, no, as I’m sure you realise. 😉

Wot JY said sort of clarifies my position.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

But people just stop posting rather than send an email to the mods ‘asking to leave’.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Harmless
    Mostly Harmless
    Moderately Harmless
    Slightly Harmless
    Probably bad for your health
    Should have a government advisory on forehead.
    No more than 3 units a week
    Toxic
    Radioactive
    Do not open the Trapdoor – Trolls within.

?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Also a date when the members joined would be a good idea next to the user name. This would be to see who the newbies are and maybe “we” would be nice to them as the are not used to some of the bell ends on here. 😀

Also take a look at the mtbr.com forum, they have number of posts listed as well as “rep power” and “rep” colour to identify if other forum people think their posts contain good advise etc.

Cougar

What the moderators see remains undisclosed.

I’d be careful what you choose doing that. One wrong click from a webdev and the ‘hidden’ tags are accidentally shown online with hilarious disastrous consequences.

davidjones15
    Free Member

It does but it also needs members to report any issues, we don’t read eery topic never mind post so they don’t always get seen.

Which is fair comment and one of the main reasons I stay away as I prefer not to get involved and don’t see my job as a forum member as being a moderator. The forum has served me well, but some recent posts have put me off and I don’t mean the obvious big hitters. If anything is to be done, it should be done properly.
    This is a digression from the OP.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Junkyard – Member
    FWIW in light of recent events I will be thinking hard about my renewal when it comes around.

while you’re fixing stuff…..

Your card expires before next payment is due. Please edit your payment details.

….maybe the “edit payment details” button might be worth a look or I won’t even have to think about it 😕

Drac

Well I assume you can check vists and see how many leave – what % of those who leave have given that reason? Were they all premier users?

I can’t but admins probably can, we can’t tell why people stop visiting unless they tell us so yes if we were only to get feedback from those who left because of the felt unwelcome then it could be seen as biased. But it has happened of late and with other evidence it was decided enough was enough as mentioned in Mark’s sticky.

Perhaps worth having some input from those who remain as to what makes this place special rather than asking why people leave ask why they stay?

We can see what makes it’s great, there is still a community spirit it lost some but it’s still great. People opening up their life problems and the support given we can see this. The massive knowledge it provides on many subject proves this. It’s all that which holds it together and still makes it great. The ‘big hitters’ pointless arguing and trolls started to take over and we needed to step in.

And true you can never please everyone all the time.

I’m sure Mark would love to hear what recent events have made you reconsider keeping up your membership, please contact him so this can be discussed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There’s far too rich a vein of piss-taking here for things like “Like” and “Dislike” buttons. Same for “rep” counts.

footflaps

We can see what makes it’s great, there is still a community spirit it lost some but it’s still great. People opening up their life problems and the support given we can see this. The massive knowledge it provides on many subject proves this. It’s all that which holds it together and still makes it great. The ‘big hitters’ pointless arguing and trolls started to take over and we needed to step in.

+1

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 434 total)

The topic ‘Types of forum user’ is closed to new replies.