Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 434 total)
  • Types of forum user
  • Cougar

Incidentally,

Flagging up classified-only users might have the opposite effect to the one intended. You’re essentially differentiating between safe and unsafe traders; so scammers can satisfy themselves as ‘trusted’ by whatever ephemeral means required and then rip people off, and now STW is implicated and possibly accountable.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can’t but admins probably can, we can’t tell why people stop visiting unless they tell us so yes if we were only to get feedback from those who left because of the felt unwelcome then it could be seen as biased. But it has happened of late and with other evidence it was decided enough was enough as mentioned in Mark’s sticky.

According to twitter and some of the stuff that’s written here sometimes, you’d swear site traffic was on a par with YouTube. And yet, people leaving in droves and emailing about it prompts a big- hitter clear out?

*joins yosser in itchy chin rub*

Drac

That’s pretty damning – but it’s worth considering you also have a very strong core of users who have been here for longer than they care to remember and generally love the place, but probably don’t send you emails saying so. Me for one!

We’re very aware of that too and that’s another testament to the place.

Which is fair comment and one of the main reasons I stay away as I prefer not to get involved and don’t see my job as a forum member as being a moderator. The forum has served me well, but some recent posts have put me off and I don’t mean the obvious big hitters. If anything is to be done, it should be done properly.

It’s a community and communities rely on the members pointing out anything they’re worried about. The mods are few and do it our spare time, that varies and post count if fast. We can sometimes spot when a thread is turning bad or has potential. We can’t possibly watch them all it just can’t be done so that’s why we ask members just to click the report button with a few words to what is up. It seems a shame that post are putting you off and you feel they’re not modded but haven’t reported them.

Drac

According to twitter and some of the stuff that’s written here sometimes, you’d swear site traffic was on a par with YouTube. And yet, people leaving in droves and emailing about it prompts a big- hitter clear out?

Droves? Where did I say that. Anyway I don’t think we’ll agree on this so I’ll leave you to scratch your chin.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It’s a community and communities rely on the members pointing out anything they’re worried about.

I agree but you may again just get the info from the thinest skinned folk/easily offended.

As I am sure you are aware I report* but I have no idea what you think of it as i never get a reply so i dont really know what you are after tbh. Some guidelines perhaps?

* am I the only person to report their own post which i have done twice 😳

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, fair comment, you didn’t say “droves”. I inferred it. But certainly in significant enough quantities to prompt actions.

jacksonwwirl
    Free Member

dont censor f e c k !!

cynic-al
    Free Member

May I just state, for the record, the Brotherhood of Hitting Big in no way sanctioned the recent “out-of-control rogue-arguing” of several former members.

Certain other rogue-arguers continue to cause chaos on forums – these individuals are in no way linked to the Brotherhood.

Remember: enjoy your arguing responsibly

😀

yossarian
    Free Member

So we’ve established that user tags are a clumsy knee jerk reaction to a problem that doesn’t really exist in any meaningful sense that couldn’t be resolved by more moderators?

*applause*

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Nah don’t bother.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

What the mods do need to remember when doing what I would consider ‘over moderation” is that loads of folk post on here whilst at work. They don’t always have time to think over their posts so at times they may come across the wrong way but unintentionally.

Regarding leaving the forum then I’m sure if there was a ‘close account” button the stats may be up. It’s not terribly easy to close your account, is it?

Drac

As I am sure you are aware I report* but I have no idea what you think of it as i never get a reply so i dont really know what you are after tbh. Some guidelines perhaps?

True we don’t reply, well rarely, that’s because it takes more time and sometimes leads to arguments. Essentially the guidelines are the forum rules. We do review them although not always straight away and miss the odd one, also sometimes decide that there was nothing to answer for are the post is left.

dont censor f e c k !!

That was discussed for months, the decision was it was being used far too often as an insult and in bad context so it had to go.

Drac

What the mods do need to remember when doing what I would consider ‘over moderation” is that loads of folk post on here whilst at work. They don’t always have time to think over their posts so at times they may come across the wrong way but unintentionally.

Yes but it’s very hard for us to judge that.

It’s not terribly easy to close your account, is it?

It’s impossible.

sc-xc

I visit this site every day. My post CPU t has gone down dramatically over the last couple of years, not because of over modding, but because the same 10 or so boring voices railroading each thread. A couple have gone, and I already see some lame attempts for new wannabes to fill their slots (so to speak). Cressers seems to have decided to make a play for the limelight over the last couple of days.

I love reading the threads, but zone out when it turns into a battle of the egos, so am glad that some have had their necks wound in.

I’m also annoyed by the petty transparent trolls, and would request that any new troll identities are flagged with the original username, just so we could see who is deliberately trying to create a negative atmosphere.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sites don’t really like to have “closed accounts” when selling advertising. I’ve been trying to close my Adult Friend Finder account for about a month now.

Drac

I’ve been trying to close my Adult Friend Finder account for about a month now.

I wondered where you’d gone.

sc-xc

^ CPU t = count. Bloody phone

GrahamS

I report* but I have no idea what you think of it as i never get a reply so i dont really know what you are after tbh. Some guidelines perhaps?

Yeah that’s a point actually. Just a “thanks, we’ve had a word” or “nah, that’s not offensive ya blouse”

am I the only person to report their own post which i have done twice

How exactly did you manage that, given there is no Report Post link on your own posts??

Cougar

Incidentally,

How does one become a moderator? I’d entertain the idea if you need more, I’m certainly around often enough.

Drac

How exactly did you manage that, given there is no Report Post link on your own posts??

He emailed us.

Yeah that’s a point actually. Just a “thanks, we’ve had a word” or “nah, that’s not offensive ya blouse”

Noted on the thanks.

Kryton57

Moderation gone mad, people labelled on the basis of some office dwellers opinion based on a forum posting which is not always able to communicate the correct emotion or meaning as it doesn’t contain other elements of human communication (ie physical expression)

Bad idea, invasion of freedom, inappropriate judgement, insulting.

If it happens, kiss my subscription goodbye, your mag isn’t worth all that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I knew I would have to explain
    i used the post above mine and said it was mine

the two were I called Pete Towshend an offensive name for a sex offender – i forget what exactly and the forum started debating the legality of this so i let the mods know. i think the post was unchanged

I also posted this picture – I still have the e-mails saying its ok – during the last great crack down

EDIT: Yes I think I did e-mail the later one actually 😳

As GrahamS says just some yes that is what we want no that is ok would do as we all know the rules but we often debate their meaning.
    I am sure some would expect a chat with you over it but I dont I just want to be helpful/responsible community user

Drac

Incidentally,

How does one become a moderator? I’d entertain the idea if you need more, I’m certainly around often enough.

Ninjas visit you at night. It’s no secret known the ST lot for years now after becoming friends with them, that’s kind of how I was recruited. I think it’s more of being recruited rather than volunteering, I may be wrong though.

Tom
    Free Member

Thank you for the several relevant comments. I’m sensing a vibe of no interest in the option, or at most something completely vague. I have noted your other comments. I’ll wait for the day crowd to chip in.

For those who don’t understand the issue behind the scenes, the moderators block a large number of spammers, trolls, bots, and others every day. These normally have a pattern. For example a new account from Asia or Tor posting a thread about dresses at 6am containing a link to their site in their first post is a likely candidate for a swift ban. Someone who only posts ‘hello’ in random threads is also probably up to no good. The moderators are right to want to identify them even before they’re reported.

This thread however, is merely a request for suggestions for some fun or informative labels, if you want them.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just like at Cambridge. History prof tapped me up for MI5.
    Now I assassinate northerners for a living. It pays well.

GW
    Free Member

This thread is absolutely **** retarded

yossarian
    Free Member

^^^^mod material^^^^^

colournoise

Still on stabilisers
    Wobbly
    Rides no-handed
    God of Gnar

I still think tags are a good idea.

slainte ❓ rob

tazzymtb

First they came for the Trolls,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Troll.

Then they came for the Big Hitters,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Big Hitter.

Then they came for those of a tory/conservative bent
    and I didn’t speak out because I’m not a tory.

Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak for me.

Drac

This thread is absolutely **** retarded

Thanks for your feedback.

loum
    Free Member

It’s a community and communities rely on the members pointing out anything they’re worried about.

There’s a good few members pointing out that the ban hammer may have been swung a bit too enthusiastically lately. To be fair, there’s also been a good bit of support for it too.
    But it seems the mods/admin only want to hear one side of that discussion.
    Personally, I’d like to see some sort of amnesty with those swatted given another chance. IMO, 10 years is too long, but a month or two is still a decent deterrent to being silly.

Drac

IMO, 10 years is too long, but a month or two is still a decent deterrent to being silly.

Sadly this has proved to be unsuccessful.

sc-xc

Personally, I’d like to see some sort of amnesty with those swatted given another chance. IMO, 10 years is too long, but a month or two is still a decent deterrent to being silly.

As a relative newcomer here I figure that there’s always more loudmouths to fill the void.

Cougar

What about user-settable flags? We could have check boxes.

Road / HT / Bouncy
    Helmet
    Left wing / Liberal / Right wing
    Conspiracy theorist
    Atheist / Christian / minority religion
    iPhone / Android
    Windows / Mac / Linux
    Alternative therapies

… and so on. Would save a lot of time.

Militant_biker

Whilst I like the lack of extra faff around the post, a single tag to replace ‘Member’ could work.

How about providing a user with a selection for them to choose their own from? Tags available and number of choices could be defined by your criteria – more choice for more established members say. Bespoke choices could be added for the ‘spoon wrangler’ etc.

Cougar

Sadly this has proved to be unsuccessful.

Track first / second / third offence and give out exponential bans accordingly. Accrued strikes can expire over time.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Bagsy the tag ‘Photoshop Bully’! \o/

patriotpro
    Free Member

The fact that this is necessary is a bit 😯

How about messaging the offenders with some kind of warning – could be automated or typed to suit…

pebblebeach
    Free Member

But how do bannings work? Can the banned user not just set up a new account with a different email address?

And as for returning after a two month ban, is it really that important to some people that they would count down the days until their return. I’d forget about it after a few weeks.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 434 total)

The topic ‘Types of forum user’ is closed to new replies.