Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • Gee76
    Free Member

Just out of interest how much did you have in mind for your tripster?

Regards
    G

dgoodfellow
    Free Member

With packing fitted
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/UGQKpu]Kinesis ATR V2 Packing[/url]

cloudnine
    Free Member

dgoodfellow.. looking sweet!

What bottle and cage have you got down by the BB?
    Quite like that top tube bag too..

Vortexracing

Here is my V1 on Friday, my first overnight camp and mixed surface touring all in 1 ride. Oh and the first time with it loaded.

Needless to say it performed admirably. Those G-Ones @ 38mm where a true revelation on both road and gravel.

Friday was great, today however was a bit miserable 🙁

[url=https://flic.kr/p/UbwbVm]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Tx2ocn]Untitled[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

dgoodfellow
    Free Member

@cloudnine
    Thanks.
    The cages are titanium from PlanetX
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BOPXTIBR/planet-x-titanium-bottle-cage

The bottle is 1000ml from SIS
    http://www.scienceinsport.com/uk/shop-sis/all-products/bottles/1000ml-wide-neck-bottle

The top tube bag and seat bag are from Alpkit. Their stuff is great and well priced.
    https://www.alpkit.com/bike-luggage

atrthanks
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone who gave half-frame bag advice.

I ended up with an Alpamayo one.

http://www.alpamayodesigns.com/index.php/products/frame-bags/partial-frame-bag.html

The size #2 fits perfectly into a 54cm v1 Tripster frame.

I had to use a mount skidmore bottle cage adapter to drop the height of the rear bottle so a 750mm bottle would still fit.

timeoutformike
    Free Member

Hey guys I’m moving from an XL genesis Equilibrium to a Tripster looking at size charts I’m a 60. Looking at geometry it says I need a 63 I can’t believe that as I’ve always only ever had 58 frames. Any advice would be greatly received.

mikefella
    Free Member

Would anyone with a 54cm Tripster V2 be interested in a frame swap for a 55.5cm V2? I’m 177cm with 83cm inseam and the frame is just a bit too big for me. Shame, because it builds into a great bike. Email is in my profile if anyone wants more details. Cheers.

stwhannah

Thought you’d all like this: New Tripster AT

ElShalimo

@stwhannah – I’ve been waving that flag for a month.. nobody cares..boo hoo. Woe is me

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kinesis-tripster-at-alu#post-8505251

slackboy

nobody cares

True, but only we because we have titanium versions already 🙂

Just been reading about it – looks like a great bike, especially Di2 ready. List price for the full bike raised a chuckle though, looking back to the beginning of this thread the V1 tripster was going for around the same price.

pictonroad

A lucky few of us were able to fondle the new Tripster at a very emotional showing of ‘Inspired to Ride’ at Stan’s Bike Shack on the Downs Link last night.

A great evening and an interesting bike, some lovely details, not least the nod to Mike Hall on the rear dropout.

The yellow is BRIGHT.

slowster
    Free Member

If this thread has – in Hannah’s words – “been closely followed by the people developing the new iterations of Kinesis Tripsters”, can I make a plea to Kinesis that they review and revise the sizing charts, which appear to be fundamentally the same for the two frames.

I appreciate the sizing charts are only suggestions, and that people of the same height may need or prefer different frame sizes depending upon their other body dimensions, flexibility, riding style and preferred position etc., but based on the various comments on this thread (not just my own experience) it looks to me as if the height/frame size suggestions are wrong. For example just on this page alone there is mikefella’s post wanting to swap for a smaller size and timeoutformike asking for advice because the suggested frame size is much larger than he has had before.

Given that many people are unable to test ride a bike before ordering a Tripster, they are going to tend to rely on the sizing chart, so it’s especially important that Kinesis get the chart ‘right’ (by which I mean it should give the right size for 95+% of customers, which currently I don’t think it does).

Looking back at many of early pages on this thread, there were a number of people who bought 54cm frames, despite supposedly being too tall based on the sizing chart, e.g. 5’10” or 5’11” or even 6′ in one case. I’m 5’10” and bought a 57cm based on the chart, and although I am in the middle of the suggested height range, it is simply the wrong size, which was confirmed when I bought a 54cm.

I’ve posted on this thread a number of times in response to people asking about sizing, because I don’t want them to make a similar expensive mistake as me, but really Kinesis need to address this and revise the chart. For the 54cm-57cm frames, I suspect that the height ranges need to be revised upwards by around 5cm.

liketi
    Free Member

Does anyone here run an Apidura (half) frame bag on a 54cm Tripster v1 or v2? Looking for real-life confirmation that a Medium is the right fit (am aware of the sizing charts). Thanks.

Free Member

@ Vortexracing – what rack is that?

llatsni
    Free Member

I fully agree @slowster on the sizing recommendations being (still) wrong.

I’m 5’11 (180cm), typically medium everything and very comfortable on 54cm road/cross bikes. When I bought my V1 ATR Kinesis said I should go for a 57, as I was at the very top of the range for a 55.5. This seemed suspect to me so I went with the 55.5… I eventually got comfortable on it but I think a 54 would have been much better for me.

belugabob
    Free Member

It seems to me, that the issue with sizing charts is that a person’s height is in no way an indicator of the frame size that they’ll need.
    In my case, despite being 6ft tall, I have a 29in inside leg and correspondingly long torso/arms, so can quite happily ride a larger bike than another 6ft person who has long legs and short torso/arms.
    The size charts can only ever be used as a starting point, and must be followed up by sitting on some different size bikes.
    In the case of a frameset purchase, sitting on one is not an option, so the process becomes more difficult.
    When I bought my Kinesis Racelight frameset, the sizing charts had me undecided between 54 & 55.5 and a lot of hand-wringing ensued before I finally took a punt on the 55.5 and, luckily, it’s perfect.

Other than stockists keeping built up bikes of each size, or having some kind of adjust “bike fit” rig, I’m not sure what the answer is.

Vortexracing

Its a tubus ti Airy

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Quick update on mine – one of the earliest of the V1s that’s now almost 4 years / just over 11,000 miles old. Not long home from a four day B&B tour from Bristol back up to Cheshire, vaguely following the River Severn for a lot of it on Sustrans routes. Short first day having taken the train down south, then two 60-70 mile days and a short day today.

The two middle days were great – plenty of mixed surfaces to the point that I reckon over 50% of yesterday’s route was off road. Route 45 from west of Kidderminester, up through Wyre Forest, Arley, Severn Valley Country Park, Bridgnorth and onto Coalport was really good fun.

Gravel tracks in a deserted Wyre Forest

The Tripster’s now set up with Ultegra 6800 hydraulic groupset (with the much maligned cheaper shifters, that are actually comfier than they look!), Mavic Ksyrium Pro Disc Allroad wheels (spendy, but highly recommended) and for this sort of trip, I get the Specialized Trigger Pro 38mm tubeless tyres out. Bags are a motley bunch – Alpkit Koala, Blackburn Outpost that amost fills the frame and a Topeak bar bag. The Blackburn takes a 1.5 litre Camelbak bladder with the hose fed forward and hooked to the bar bag.

It was great fun to get away again and the Tripster continues to put a smile on my face – never known a bike like it.

numplumz
    Free Member

4300 miles across the USA in 23 days on a Tripster V2 and not a single ache, this bike is indeed lush. 6 months of use and over 9000 miles on and off road, beach racing and gravel racing it’s had a battering and taken it all.
    For balance: I am not overly keen on the internal cable routing and the QR rear dropouts are best avoided go 16mm

slowster
    Free Member

I’ve just taken a look at the Kinesis website (prompted by the other thread asking for advice about the sizing of the Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6), and I see that Kinesis has revised its suggested frame sizes for the Tripster ATR. For the record in case any future prospective Tripster purchasers read this thread and wonder what the changes were, the old and new sizing suggestions are as follows:

48cm – was 150-160, now 154-164

51cm – was 158-168, now 164-172

54cm – was 166-176, now 172-178

55.5cm – was 170-180, now 178-182

57cm – was 174-184, now 182-186

60cm – was 182-192, now 186-192

63cm – not listed on the older size charts that I can find , now 192-202

There is no longer any overlap between the suggested heights for consecutive frame sizes. However these are only suggestions, and there is no substitute for getting a test ride if at all possible and/or comparing the geometry with your existing bike and determining what size frame would best give a similar fit to your current bike (e.g. saddle to bar drop and reach), assuming of course that you are happy with the set up of your existing bike.

robbie
    Free Member

Anyone running 650 wheels with 2″ tyres on their tripster?
    Thinking about building my new build as more of a replacement for my hardtail.

tomwoodbury

Also keen to hear experiences of running 650b (I have a v.1) after 2 and a half years of ownership I think I’ve finally hit a set up sweet spot for multi surface riding, but open to 650. Running an ultegra CX chainset with 46/34 and 11-32 on the back. Ritchey Venturemax bars and Surly Knard 41c tyres. Really comfy off road, enough gears to get up steep off road bits and pretty quick on tarmac. Took a day off work and did 40 mixed surface miles yesterday- great fun.

DrP

^^^
    I am… Just heading out, but will write up my experiences!

DrP

DrP

^^^
    I am… Just heading out, but will write up my experiences!

DrP

tomwoodbury

I have a spare set of Chris King ISO mtb Hubs. Can anyone tell me if these will fit my v1 Tripster?

eshoote
    Free Member

Heading off on my Tripster ATR V2 and we’re also taking a new Tripster AT to ride as much gravel as we find through Kazakhstan, China, Mongolia and Russia.
    Thought Marion’s Tripster AT build for the trip might interest a few of you and blur the lines further between MTB/CX/Gravel etc….
    Tripster AT Flat Bar build

somafunk

Good luck ed, sounds like an amazing trip and i look forward to updates as you head east. Has marion ever tried a set of jones bars?, they worked perfectly on my tripster and allow for numerous hand positions.

DezB
    Free Member

Good stuff that – the AT looks really nice.

eshoote
    Free Member

Thanks, and @somafunk good shout on the Jones bars they would have been a good choice in hindsight to try! Chatted to Lee Craigie about hers a while ago and was sold on trying them.

spartus117
    Free Member

Hello all
    I am on the verge of purchasing a tripster atr v2 frameset.
    however i am not a fan of there forks and would like to mate it with a fork with more mounting points for bottle cages racks egt.
    i have contacted kinesis but i was fobbed off by a sales rep who was only interested in selling me kinesis forks and politely told me to seek advice elsewhere.
    unfortunately i do not fully understand the internal parts for compatibility of forks with this frame and i was wondering if anyone could kindly tell me if any of these forks are compatible?
    my list of forks are these..

1 Gravel RDO Thru Axle Fork
    Disc Only
    No rider weight limit
    Full carbon 1.125″ X 1.5″ tapered steer tube
    Fits rotors up to 180mm
    15mm thru axle
    Rack mid mounts and fender mounts
    Axle to crown – 400mm
    Rake – 45mm
    Max tire size 1.75/45mm

Gravel RDO Thru Axle Fork w/ Rack Mount

2. Sparta All Road Carbon Fork
    Length: 400mm axle to crown
    Rake: 45mm
    Width: 100mm
    Steerer: 1 1/8″ straight alloy or 1 1/8 tapered
    Fender Mounts
    Water Bottle/Frame Bag Mounts (compatible with Blackburn Outpost Cargo Cage)
    Brake Mount: Flat mount
    Axle: 12mm thru axle (axle included)
    https://www.fyxation.com/products/carbon-fiber-adventure-fork

Both forks seem to have the correct rake of 45mm, and axle to crown length of 400mm wich match the forks sold by kinesis.
    the only thing im unsure if the compatibility to the headtube/headset of the tripsters fame any advice would be appreciated.

teadrinker
    Free Member

So I’m thinking about getting the alu version as my budget doesn’t stretch this just yet.

I’m 192cm which puts in the realms of 60/63cm. ANy suggestions on what to go for? The only thing I have to compare it to is a Canyon Endurance AL. The reach on my XL is 407 which leaves me looking at either a 1.5cm shorter reach on the 60cm or 1cm on the 63cm. I think the 60cm will work but has anyone purchased a 60cm and wished they went with a 63cm at all?

Thanks.

slowster
    Free Member

I would be wary of focusing on just one measurement, such as reach. The Canyon has a 73.5 degree seat angle, but the 60cm Tripster is 73 and the 63cm is 72.5.

Based on my own experience, I would also look closely at your current saddle to bars drop and how that might translate to a Tripster, given its head tube length, stack, bottom bracket height, and given the limits of adjustability of stems on carbon steerers, i.e. no more than 30mm of spacers.

In my case, I had to fit a 17 degree rise stem upside down (so it is virtually horizontal) to get the bars at the right height. That suggests to me that I could probably get away with the next size smaller Tripster with the standard 5 degree rise stem, even though I am 4cm taller than the maximum suggested height for that smaller frame size (and that’s based on Kinesis’ new higher suggested heights for the Tripster frame sizes).

robbie
    Free Member

pic

Thought id share a pic of my new build atr v2. Now to give it a test

onandon
    Free Member

Are you unable to bend from the hips?

robbie
    Free Member

Mmm it seems your Sarcasm has been lost on this occasion. Care to explain?

neilpass
    Free Member

I’ve a Tripster ATR V1, any recommendations for a rear carrier, was looking at the Tortec Epic (probably in Stainless) or the Tubus Cargo/Cargo Evo or Logo/Logo Evo. Are the Tubus worth the extra? Has anyone fitted one of these to a ATR?

DezB
    Free Member

What are you actually paying the extra for? I had the Axiom Streamliner Disc on my Tripster – it’s a third of the price and only 15g heavier. I’m genuinely puzzled by the price of those Tubus ones!

Vortexracing

I have a tubus ti Airy on mine

What are you actually paying the extra for?

it matches the frame 😉

DezB
    Free Member

That, I can understand (almost) 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.