Viewing 40 posts - 2,641 through 2,680 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • tomwoodbury

Question for those who shelled out to upgrade a v1 to a v2 – was it worth it? Love my v1 but bolt through hubs and true 650b compatibility are appealing.

kilauea13

Going to try asking this here in the hope someone may have built one up like this at some point. Has anyone managed to fit a dual sided Stages or 4iiii power meter to a Tripster AT? It looks like there ma just be sufficient clearance, but it is touch and go. Thanks

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

not sure bolt through hubs are any type of a draw as I have DT RWS 9 and 10mm thru skewers but 650b might be nice.

I destickered my V1 the other day 🙂

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Had my V1 warranty replaced for a V2, cant really tell the difference.

dc2.0

@kilauea – I’ve got both a 57cm Tripster ATR and a dual-sided power meter (which fits) for sale in the classifieds if interested. Happy to do a deal on both

pb2

Sorry another sizing question, I’m 6′ 1″ or 185.5cm, with a slightly longer body/arms, inside leg 31.5″ or 80cm. Right now in the absence of a test ride I don’t know whether to go 55.5cm or 57cm. Any advice most welcome. ps my mountain bikes are large size with short stems and my old road bike 2007 Spesh Roubaix is/was a 58 or 59cm frame.

Daffy

With such a long torso/arms, you’ll want the reach on 57cm.  I’m 6’ on a good day and have the 55.5 and am running a 100mm stem and an 10mm layback post.  I wouldn’t want to be any bigger on this frame size.

pb2

Cheers Daffy, I am still crunching the numbers to see how much the final build will cost and what I will have to sell to balance the books but I am determined to get one and jump on a plane/boat and start to live a more interesting life.

pb2

I have taken the plunge and ordered a V2 frame and forks. I am giving a lot of thought to fitting Jones carbon H bar (yes I know it’s going to look odd) Has any one else used Jones H bars on a Tripster or other long distance bike packing rig. All advise/thoughts welcome, thnx Paul

waspzapper
    Free Member

I’ve been following this thread for a while now and noticed the frequency of posts tailing off a bit, of late. I’m considering building a Tripster ATR, – based on a V2 frame – but I think it’s fair to say this bike looks less value for money than it used to be considering you need to spend £2k just for the frame and forks alone.

I see a few V1 frames have failed within the warranty period. Do we know if any V2 frames have failed yet?

Other manufacturers seem to offer more comprehensive warranties than Kinesis. J. Guillem offer a 100 year warranty on their bikes (granted, they are a tad more expensive to buy upfront, but a Ti frame is still a Ti frame).

What are people’s thoughts on this bike now? Is it still one of the best gravel/adventure bikes out there? Or are there better alternatives these days?

Is there anybody in the Southampton/Winchester area that has a 54cm ATR I might be able to try for size, please?

Thanks,

Steve

DezB
    Free Member

I see a few V1 frames have failed within the warranty period

Mine hasn’t! It’s still wonderful.

I’m just south of Petersfield, if you wanted to check it out (but, yeah it’s a V1)

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I’m on my 3rd frame but…

My first V1 frame cracked on the downtube welds of the cable stops, the crack almost made it all the way round the tube. It was just 2 years old, they replaced it very quickly without question with another V1.

My second V1 lasted about a year and half before I spotted a crack in exactly the same place as my first one.

I was about 6 months out of warranty with the second frame but Upgrade replaced it with a V2 frame for free within a week despite being out of warranty. Thats very good in my book and Kinesis would get my money again because of it.

The V2 frame has a “strengthened” larger guage downtube and no cable stops….

brassneck

Just north of Andover, another 54cm v1 if you wanted a look.

I am considering selling it as I think a cheap carbon road bike and cheap cross ‘racer’ (1x, ideally disks but not necessarily) would suit what I do these days better. It’s a bit too nice for racing and the chainset doesn’t work (its 50/34, neither being optimal), but I like to be able to get out for road ride over winter too.. so spltting out again might be better for me. Still love it as a bike everytime I ride it though, and for a more touring / long days out bike its perfect.

I had a v1 crack – under a cable stop on the top tube, Kinesis sorted it quickly and professionally and would also get my money again on this basis – you see the worth of a company when stuff goes wrong IMHO.

waspzapper
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

Completely agree that you see the worth of a company when stuff goes wrong, brassneck. It sounds like Upgrade/Kinesis treat customers fairly, which is encouraging to hear. I suspect the negative press associated with not replacing a single faulty frame would cost them several new frame sales so it’s a relatively small price to pay to retain customer loyalty and provide a good customer experience.

Doesn’t sound like anybody has had any major issues with the V2 frame yet?

I’m interested in why the compact chainset doesn’t work? Guessing the chainrings are too big for trails/gravel? I should imagine it’s fine for eating up the miles on tarmac, though?

brassneck

A 50/34 compact is fine for general gravel stuff (with 11-32), and wasn’t too bad on camping etc. – where it falls down (for me) is racing. 34 is OK but often you need to change up to the big ring which is a tough call for my puny legs within about 10 seconds of hitting the next twisty bit – so a lot of front mech shifting, which is slow and can be troublesome once it gets muddy (tbh – I stay in 34 99% of the time).

50/34 is perfect on road, 11-28 out back. That combo is also fine for most trails without excessive luggage.

A single 38 or 40 or 46/36 double  would be a much better combo for me for racing – YMMV – but I can’t be bothered to switch around every winter and would lose the better road setup too.

rOcKeTdOg

just built a 48cm ATR for a customer, some nice XTR Di2, enve and CK jewelry on it. weighs 8.8kg

waspzapper
    Free Member

Sounds great, rOcKeTdOg.

Assuming the CK jewellery is BB/hubs only? There is no CK headset that fits the ATR?

8.8kg is impressive!

rOcKeTdOg

Yea hubs & BB, Ritchey carbon finishing kit but it’s the enve gravel rims thst are scary light

waspzapper
    Free Member

Still looking for somebody in the Southampton/Winchester area with either a 51cm or 54cm V2 that I could try for size, please.

Thanks!

atr2stumpster
    Free Member

I have been lurking n this thread for quite a while

…Just finished mine, custom shortened cranks for my amputated leg

Cracking ride; chuffed I took this path

Fyxation sparta
    DT swiss E1700 spline2 27.5
    Ultegra RX800
    11 speed 11-34T
    Shimano SLR700 gear levers BL600 RS600 brake levers
    Shimano RS505 hydraulic 160mm rotors
    Selle Italia flight
    Specialized SW carboin mini riser bar
    C-Bear cyclocross BB
    Magped pedals not keep prosthetic attached (not in pic)
    USE Duro Ti seat post
    Panaracer Gravelking SK
    SRAM GXP compact shortened cranks 113mm and 150mm by Highpath engineering

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2dB736T]tripster[/url] by dfem800, on Flickr

Vortexracing

Mine 2 years old now (V1), love it. It is a great commuter/winter bike, guards off and 40mm rubber on and its Gravel/CX, then just add some panniers on it and your touring 🙂

So comfy and smooth, one of the bets purchases I have made.

rOcKeTdOg

dmc
    Free Member

There is a 54cm mk1 tripster in classified if anyone is interested ?

Dc

Daffy

There is no CK headset that fits the ATR?

Chris King now do a dropset that fits the Tripster. 18 bikes have them in stock.

DezB
    Free Member

Chris King now do a dropset that fits the Tripster

Bit pointless seeing as the FSA has been in my Tripster since new (3 years?) and is still smooth. (Said he, with Dura Ace parts all over it 😀 )

brassneck

waspzapper – I’m 25 mins north of Winchester – too far I guess, but if you get really close to buying and want a check, the offers there.

Anyone got a cheap source of 46/36 chainsets for HT2 BBs? Had an epiphany and realised that as I’m of weak and feeble leg, a 46 would mean I’d use more (or more evenly) the cassette so it’s probably going to be just fine over winter road rides. Get another cheap 11-32 cassette and done, will try the 28 first though as there isn’t that much that steep round here.

waspzapper
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer, brassneck. Can’t help you with the 46/36 HT2 chainset but I assume you’ve already considered just swapping out the chainrings?

Upgrade won’t be getting any new stock of Tripster ATRs until March 2019 so my interest has turned to the Enigma Escape instead. They seem to have more confidence in their product and offer a 10 year warranty instead of the paltry 2 years (?) that Kinesis currently offer on the ATR. Titanium is for life not just for Christmas, and that.

Only speculating, but I’m guessing it may be a revised ATR that we see in March 2019 and anticipate it will be just as good – if not better – than previous versions. And more expensive.

brassneck

Yeah, swapping the chainset is a 5 minute job though, chainrings 10 mins – a lifetime depending on how seized they are .. could just fit a 46 outside thinking about it that’s not a bad shout, think they may bolt in to the spider, I have those awful chain ring bolt tools stuck in my thikning.

Escape is lovely, but about 1K more than I paid for my Tripster (sometime ago admittedly, and not without a lot of hassle). I’d be inclined to look at 46/36 though if buying new and intending a decent amount of offroad use.

waspzapper
    Free Member

Tripster ATR frame only is now £1850. ATR forks are £280. Discounts on this price to be had from various retailers. Winstanleys appear to be offering 20% off the frame at the moment but, if there’s no UK stock, then you have a long wait ahead. Currently only available to pre-order.

Enigma Escape frame and forks is £2185 including headset.

Not much in it these days, apart from a better warranty.

I saw these and thought of you, brassneck:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Ultegra-11-speed-46-36t-Cyclocross-Touring-Chainrings/202519139653

Suspect you will have to drop the front mech slightly?

brassneck

Cheers! If I ever get into the garage going to check if just changing the outer (5800 105) is actually an easier option after all. Not sure about the mech, not moving that was also an aim I reckon it’ll be good as I have a pretty high tolerance for drive chain noise as my Campag owning friends will attest too.

Hadn’t realised 1850 was frame only – if I remember right I paid 1250 F+F from a now defunct online store. At that price I’d have the Enigma, was very very close to buying one of their road bikes when the Tripster was released, and I hoped to reduce the bike count by one or two. That didn’t work out so well 😀

I actually have some uncut ATR forks (post mount, v2 I think) I should put on classifieds when I figure out what they’d be worth.

huckersneck
    Free Member

Does anyone use a different fork to the factory option on their AT?

waspzapper
    Free Member

I’ve seen photos of ATRs with Lauf Grit forks fitted:

https://www.laufcycling.com/product/lauf-grit

Not sure about ATs.

atr2stumpster
    Free Member

Yes indeed FYXATION Sparta see above.

Only a few miles nice ride soaks up the bumps – lots of pannier/rack mounting options

huckersneck
    Free Member

I note that the tripster is now offered as a full bike with a different fork to the previous bendy one. Paint job looks pretty rad! I don’t find the bendy forks very appealing to look at, leading to my earlier question, so this is much preferable. I hope that they start offering the frame set in this configuration too.

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Adventure/Tripster-AT-BIKE

tripster with straight leg fork

DezB
    Free Member

That is a groovy paintjob 😀
    “Bendy fork”? Like, curved? Looks like they’ve specced a non Kinesis fork for some reason.
    Gawd their website is terrible

huckersneck
    Free Member

*chuckle* Yes, like curved. I’m just enjoying the word ‘bendy’ today.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyway… How did a rigid aluminium bike become over £2grand…?! With half the number of shifters and mechs.. bonkers.

badstoob
    Free Member

The orange and green frames will come with the new fork from August apparently.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Has anyone got experience of how the Genesis CDF Ti compares to the Tripster?

Love my mk1 fugio but am looking for something more versatile for the longer term.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I should have said Croix de Fer Ti as CDF is a different model.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,641 through 2,680 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.