Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • DrP

Hmm, “buy now” may have just been clicked…
    Wine and stress are a terrible combination!

Oh wells…..

DrP

cloudnine
    Free Member

Hmm, “buy now” may have just been clicked…
    Wine and stress are a terrible combination!

Oh wells…..

DrP

Money well spent.. you wont be sorry

gonetothehills
    Free Member

DrP – you will NOT regret it. I headed out for a couple of hours on mine this afternoon, managing to dodge the rain. Batted along on some supersmooth new tarmac on an A road, then took to the lanes, flew (relatively speaking for me) up a few sharp hills, mega stable on some long, loose descents… Put a grin on my face – and that counts for a lot.

The type of ride it seems most suited to is a ‘follow your nose’ ride, taking you where you fancy.

Bobster – that’s spot on. It’s what I meant about not fannying around deciding which of your stable of bikes to take out. Don’t even go there – just get on the Tripster and go explore.

the_lecht_rocks

looking forward to our new office move – i’ve been lucky to work on my doorstep for the last 4 years but a move means a nice 25km commute on the bike each way in a months time mixed with fire road and forest……. hence the Tripster ATR 🙂

somafunk

Most folk complain about an increased commuting distance but i guess your commute will be kinda different to the normal stuck in traffic commute that so many sad folk put up with 😀

The type of ride it seems most suited to is a ‘follow your nose’ ride, taking you where you fancy.

Absolutely spot on (as has already been said)

Some folk may recognise this trail, the descent down to An Lochan Uaine (the green loch) nr to the Ryvoan Pass up in the cairngorms, i didn’t make it all the way down on the bike but i made a damn good attempt with my arse firmly planted on the rear rack, i did end up in the heather at multiple points 😀

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Heads off to google what chapeau is in Scottish… 😉

birdage

Just to add an extra option on the tyre front. I’ve found the Landcruisers 40mm a really good choice for mixed road and South Downs type terrain. Bit heavier than most but excellent traction, fast and puncture resistant. Cheap also.
    Ridden the ATR round Stanmer on these, though was pushing my luck on a couple of occasions!

the_lecht_rocks

i’ve ordered a pair of Gravel King 28c to commute on – i’ll attempt the fire roads through the forests on the way home once it arrives.

all i have to do now is design some extended commutes home through forest and back roads 🙂

#gettingexcited !

bol

I wish people would stop bringing this thread back to the top. I’m struggling to ignore it. My pro6 has been great, but the ATR is so tempting.

the_lecht_rocks

lol – i’m really looking forward to getting it – a superb replacement for my venerable tricross comp.

DrP

Righto….
    12th July…big ride ahoy….

Come on, let’s have a proper tripster love in!
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/i-think-ill-organise-a-stw-southern-gravel-bike-cx-ride-any-takers?replies=1#post-6125770

DrP

hummerlicious
    Free Member

So you don’t need to try mine for size tomorrow night then DrP!

Andy

Arrrghh just seen this thread reprised 🙁 Have fancied a Tripster ever since this thread was opened. So currently ride a 60cm Croix de Fer.

My Cdf is 60cm CTT Seat tube 57.5cm CTC ETT. If any thing with an inline seatpost and 70mm stem I find it a bit long but that might just be my mtb attuned, un stretched old back. Still have a fair bit of seatpost showing though

ATR is
    60cm CTT Seat & 58.5 CTC ETT
    57cm CTT Seat & 57 CTC ETT

Decisions decisions 😕 Thoughts anyone please?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thoughts anyone please?

Sell the cdf.. buy the tripster.

Andy

Yup got that – good advice. Now….about the size thing 😀

DrP

Jim, I still do please! After 6 you say?
    Will need to call them to 100% confirm which size they should order!

DrP

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I finish at six, but won’t be back till seven, but we’ve booked in at the gym till nine.

If you come round for seven you can take it out for a couple of hours, I’ll be home just after nine.

the_lecht_rocks

Any more pics available to help us through this week before delivery please folks ???

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Here you go, TLR – seeing as it’s a Monday: Tripster ATR in ‘light touring’ mode. The Topeak seatclamp rack is a hangover from an old bike that didn’t have rack mounts, but it actually works very well for that type of riding. This was last summer’s two dayer around the Cheshire Cycleway loop (Route 70). A fantastic 180 mile mix of quiet lanes and a few gravel sections out on the Wirral and near Alsager.

Bike shown with the old wheels (Halo Aerotracks on Novatec hubs) running 28mm Conti 4 Seasons tyres.

the_lecht_rocks

how do the 28c tyres cope with fire road style surfaces GTTH ?

DrP

It would appear that via great friends in the know, and a well resourced local bike shop, I have some titanium loveliness in a work stand being gently stroked into a full bike build as we speak…..

DrP am excite….

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Great news! I am in no rush for mine just yet, still need to get some bits for it. Trying to decide if i can justify the Ti Tubus Fly rack…

the_lecht_rocks

DrP – what’s the spec ?

cr500dom
    Free Member

Arrrrgh…… must resist :o(

This is the one bike I really want, I’m never going to race, it`ll keep up on a sunday club run and be all day comfortable and that freeborn deal is superb

I`d need to sell my Full Carbon Cube first to get it though, and probably a few others to justify it too

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Drp what size did you go for? I am 5ft10 but torn between the 54 and 57. Freeborn suggest the 54 but size guide puts me on a 57 just. My thought is to go for 54 as can always get a lay back post and longer stem if needed. It’s going to be used primarily as a commuter through forest on track and road and touring on longer rides (3hrs plus).

Hmmmm any thoughts anyone? Does anyone happen to have one near swinley forest that would not mind me swinging a leg over?

Cheers!

somafunk

Buzz : The tubus fly rack is a thing of beauty and it’s a perfect match for the tripster, forgive my bad analogy but the Tripster to me sums up the Idea of Fast & Light over any terrain” and the Tubus Fly rack with a set of Ortelib Front Roller panniers is a perfect combination.

I can carry enough kit in the front roller panniers to do a 3 or 4 day camping tour, my Lunar Solo tent fits on the top of the rack along with my Columbus Moonstone sleeping bag which packs down teeny, leaves plenty of room in the Panniers for my other kit, Ti stove/pans of course 😉

I wouldn’t go much bigger than the Front rollers on the tubus fly.

DrP

TLR… I went for the standard build (as per kinesis website). Got the 54 and seems to be a great fit. Haven’t been out properly yet, buy can tell it fits well. Will need to cut the steerer and drop the bars as I like it to have quite a drop, but will get a few 00 miles in first!

It from South Downs Bikes in the end as they did me a great deal, and the owner drove to upgrade to get the kit for me today!

Also, built up by hummerlicious’ fair hand too!

Though he did put the left bar tape on the right…

DrP

RustyMac

Now somafunk, I believe there is another bike of yours you’ve not mentioned. Recently fixed up by a good gentleman in Glasgow, blue in colour. What the hell has happened to the SoulCraft god damn it.

cloudnine
    Free Member

DrP.. you need a hand cutting that steerer? Im pretty quick with a saw and why bother with a tape 😆

*see my steerer cutting balls up thread

somafunk

The Soulcraft is currently hanging on the bedroom wall as it’s gonna cost me a couple of thousand to build it up so it’s on the back burner for now, all my cash this year has been thrown towards my Mk2 Golf, it’s just had new inner sills/outer sills both sides, door skins both sides, 4 inner and outer arches, full rear panel round light cluster, rear valence, front valence and new bumpers and plastics all round – at some point this week i’ll get to work with body filler on the various joins etc then it’s off to paint followed by even more cash thrown at it for all new window and door seals – the 16v cylinder head is getting ported/flowed at the moment and i have a new clutch and Quaife diff to fit along with an overhaul of the gearbox.

I managed to source all genuine VW panels for it but they came from all over Europe at significant expense so you can imagine i have been living off scavenged food all this year, and will be for the foreseeable future.

I’m afraid the Soulcraft is gonna have to wait till i can save the cash to do it justice, i thought about swapping all the stuff from my Cove Hummer over but i don’t want to go down the road of cannibalising bikes for parts as that will upset the Cove, she’d go into a permanent huff 😀

gonetothehills
    Free Member

TLR – sorry for the delay – work got in the way… but it’s commute day tomorrow, so all good 🙂 Anyway – the 28s are fine on fireroads, even at a relatively high pressure (95-100psi). I really should get some proper cross tyres on it and have a decent play offroad… I’ve got 25c Gatorskins on there at the moment and I think I’m going to push the button on some new 28c 4 Seasons.

Unless anyone’s got any alternatives? 28 – 32c, light, longlasting, grippy, puncture resistant. Unicorn tears?

Doncorleoni – have a look at the pics of my 54cm, set up for me at 5′ 11″ and a 31″ leg. There’s a 90mm stem on it and it’s great for everything from batting around for an hour or all day runs. I too ‘should’ be on a 57 according to the size chart, but am very glad I’m on the 54.

RustyMac

Boooooooo 🙁

I can donate a silver hope headset to a good cause.

nedrapier

puncture resistant. Unicorn tears

They’re a bit like flint, are unicorns.

Hit them at the wrong angle and even with the toughest sidewall, you’re probably going to be walking home.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

😆

I very much like the idea of puncture resistant unicorn tears. Maybe we can take the idea to Continental? Suspect they’d look similar to a GP4000S but be gossamer light and probably only available in pearlescent white.

the_lecht_rocks

I’ve ordered some gravel king 28c from panaracer as a substitute for the wtb cross wolfs.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Why did people mention Freeborn? I really didn’t to see those prices!

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

@somafunk This is my equilibrium with a tortec velocity rack and front rollers, would like a better rack than the velocity, will go with a tubus fly but not sure i can afford the Ti version yet.

I have some 28c GP 4Seasons on it now which will be going on the tripster. Need to buy some new guards, chromoplastics are the obvious but does anyone else have any suggestions?

Also did anyone get this mount with theirs? Ive seen it in a few reviews:

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Dr P, the tape was the only thing I didn’t do!

Now, get out on it, that was a stressful afternoon 😉

birdage

I love the fact this thread is still going! Going to post another picture for the hell of it cause I just got in from another great ride.

Size-wise at 5’10 the 54 fits really well with a 90mm stem and slight lay back post.

Would be really interested to know if anyone has an ice tech rotor/ TRP spyre combination? Still some weird slight judder going on with the braking that I haven’t been able to sort out.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nanQB8]ATR Tripster[/url] by Birdage, on Flickr

nedrapier

Arg. How is it I now “need” one of these? 😀

I have said for a while that the only thing that would have me selling the Peregrine is a more refined version of the same thing. This is close…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.