Home Forums Bike Forum Trek top fuel owners and logic check

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Trek top fuel owners and logic check
  • marksnook
    Free Member

Own a Raaw Madonna and Cotic bfemax, bfemax did get used for lighter trail duties and longer rides and racing enduro (when I fancied hardtail catagory). However a couple years of foot injuries have massively hampered the hardtail riding as it just hurts a bit more. Thought about an xc ish bike for a while now, should have clicked buy on a bargain epic but snoozed!
    Seen a few cheaper 2022 top fuels about. Just curious how they are. Trails mainly fod, local Cotswold stuff. Maybe a trail centre. Big bike can get saved for bike parks/south wales!

Bargain alloy ones can be found but will they still be the spritely climbing, all day bike in after?

sam_underhill

I recently bought a 2023 carbon top fuel as a replacement for 100/120mm 10 year old FS XC bike.

I put lighter wheels on and run it with ardent race / forekaster II 2.4 tyres. So, my opinion so far…

It climbs great.  Coming from a DW link to ABP I was a little sceptical that it might feel more wallowy or  inefficient on the climbs. Far from it, I only ever reach for the pedal platform on long fire road / tarmac sections and even then I cold happily not bother.  The climbing grip on off road climbs is great, it remains active and it propels me up the hill.  Absolutely this is not an XC race bike, but for a short travel trail bike for every day, all day epics it’s a great compromise.

Downhill it flies.  It really feels like a mini enduro bike.  I’m sure it’s going to get me in trouble!

Downsides?  it feels shorter on the bike than the geo numbers suggest, and the front end is pretty low (something I think they tweaked on the late 2024 updates).  This is the first bike I’ve had in ages where I’ve not completely slammed the stem. I’m usually at the bottom end of sizing for medium bikes at 170cm tall, but I probably could have taken the M/L in this case.

butterbean
    Free Member

My other half has one after trying to find something to replace a Spur.

If you are taller, the geometry is a bit weird (XC bike levels of low stack) just coming with trail bike weight.

She doesn’t mind it, but I find it a bit of a nothing bike. Given its the same travel & weight as a Tallboy, it’s nowhere near as capable on the downs, nor the Epic8 on single track/climbs.

The alloy frame is remarkably heavy for its intended use.

marksnook
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’m 173cm so could be on the cusp of the bigger size as well then. Can only see mediums in stock for the cheap deals! I don’t think the top fuel is the best option then.
    budget is 2k so I don’t think I will get anything mega light for that.
    rocky element in alloy comes in budget, is a shade over 30lbs so could be good

dream would be a spur! Why was the other half replacing it @butterbean ?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.