Home Forums Bike Forum Trek Fuel EX – Any good?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Trek Fuel EX – Any good?
  • fettlin

Hi All, as title really, are the current Fuel EX’s any good?

Idle musings of a new bike has me looking at the current Fuel EX 9.7, carbon frame, 140mm/130mm travel with a Fox 36, XT/SLX/Series spec. All seems decent if no frills on paper. Nothing seems to get mentioned about Trek Fuel these days, is that because they are out of favor or are they just quietly getting on with the job? Does anybody have one (pics please!), 2020 model onwards as they seem to be the same frame still.

Decent looking frame with upgrade potential or bit of a pup?

weeksy

I’ve just recently bought a 20 model 9.8

It’s absolutely fab!

2022-03-03_01-21-26 by Steve Weeks[/url], on Flickr

fettlin

@weeksy that looks lovely! How does it ride?

I had an EX9 around 6 years ago (back in 26″ wheel days!) and didnt really get on with it. DRCV fork on that model tried to pitch me out the front door at FOD. We didnt get on after that….

The latest ones dont have a proprietary fork as far as i can see (still DRCV shock though?) and the geo has changed a fair bit as well, so i’m keen to get an idea of what these new ones are like.

weeksy

Where are you based? I’m in Berks if you want to try it.

Riding is ace, although due to life getting in the way I’ve not exactly ridden it much since buying as been away racing with my lad etc. But it flies up and down stuff.

v7fmp

a quick google would suggest that they mainly get some good reviews and praise…

https://flowmountainbike.com/tests/long-term-test-2020-trek-fuel-ex-9-8-review-3/

ampthill

The Trek Milton Keynes store has a demo coming up

https://m.facebook.com/TrekMK/#!/events/494098175503504?acontext=%7B%22source%22%3A%223%22%2C%22action_history%22%3A%22null%22%7D&aref=3&ref=page_internal

This link may or not work but it was on their Facebook page

fettlin

@weeksy, thanks for the offer but i’m herefordshire based, bummer! I’ll pop along to the LBS as they are Trek dealers (where i got the last one from).

@v7fmp
    thanks, yep, read that. The reviews are mostly pretty positive, just interested in some real-world (well, STW) feedback. The Fuel EX was pretty ubiquitous from 2008 – 2018, just dont see many about these days.

weeksy

I’m at 417 on the 10th April if that helps you?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I rented a 9.8 last year in the Peak, well actually my mate rented it and I borrowed it für a quick descent of Stanage Plantation and LadyCannings.

Loved it on StanageP. Really plush and confidence inspiring.
    I actually bought one the week after based on that ride ( and the ridiculously low price of £3,200 for the XTR 9.9 version )

Alas the shop phoned me back and said it was a pricing Snafu and the 3.2k was just for the frame 🙁

In the first few months I had the Occam I really regretted not buying an EX instead. Would have been better suited to Peak bimblings.

( have since solved this issue by minimising trips to the Peak, and finding proper mountains to ride the Occam on instead)

petedee
    Free Member

Sold my 2018 9.8 last week. Amazing bike, just not using it as much anymore that I’ve purchased a hardtail rocket.

jet26
    Free Member

Ridden a rental one a few times. Amazingly capable and quite plush. Ride uphill well, accepting there are slightly quicker bikes if you want out and out climbing speed. Bit for a good all rounder they are excellent and descend amazingly for the travel.

fettlin

Hi @weeksy, thanks for the offer. We’re off dog agility’ing that weekend!

I’m off to the LBS at the weekend to see what they have for a demo. Really tempted by what i’ve ready so far in reviews and vids i’ve seen, but nothing like swinging a leg over one for a weekend.

weeksy

You may know my mate, Chris L*** then, he’s an avid MTBer and does the dog agility stuff over your way too, well closer to FoD he lives but does the agility stuff in the south/west.

Next best i can do then mate is FoD on the weekend of the 3rd April… we’ll be over practicing/playing on either the Sat or Sun. TBH it’ll be the first time i’ll have ridden it on anything more than a walkers type trail too LOL.

chakaping

Don’t pay full whack for one now, the updated version must be imminent.

Current one is ripe for a few tweaks.

weeksy

@chakaping

Tweaks ?

remedyflyer
    Free Member

EX8 2021 bike which is excellent bike to be honest do not fine it any better than the 9.7 carbon one I had in 2017 which had 130mm up front where the 2021 has 140mm I suppose the newer one is better for jumps and downhill stuff like all the trails in the Forest of Dean where the older one was more a jack of all trails and better at XC stuff.

Gribs

Tweaks ?

From my point of view it needs to be a bit longer for a given seat tube length, or just a shorter seat tube to allow a longer dropper. I looked at them and need the effective top tube length of the large but could then only run a 125mm dropper. A couple of degrees off the head angle would be nice too.

chakaping

Yeah, a couple of degrees off the HA, a couple of degrees on the SA, a couple of cm on the reaches, a couple of cm off the seat tubes and maybe 1cm on the CS.

Though it might be easier to just the new Canyon Spectral 125 (if they still have them in stock).

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Trek Fuel EX – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.