Home Forums Bike Forum Trek 1120 owners – rear rack?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trek 1120 owners – rear rack?
  • luv2ride
    Free Member

Longshot, but anyone on here own a Trek 1120? I’m interested in knowing the distance between the fixing points, both upper and lower points on one side, and also the distance laterally between the upper and lower fixing points. Can’t find any tech specs on line…

Cheers!

scotroutes

I’d be very interested in this too.

MoreCashThanDash

I have absolutely no possible use for a Trek 1120, but bloody hell I want one.🤣

luv2ride
    Free Member

Bump…just in case there’s a Trek 1120 owner on here, with a tape measure?

damascus
    Free Member

Have we done a trek 1120 stw riders review thread?

Based on the stache but with racks, what’s there not to like? Apart from the price of the racks and the straps 🤣

johnnystorm

The decathlon one looks quite similar. Dunno if it’s much cheaper but you could buy it, measure it up and send it back if you didn’t like it. 😉

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/rear-pannier-rack-touring/_/R-p-333521?mc=8646629

luv2ride
    Free Member

I know the fixing points for the Decathlon rack are different to the Trek one, so that wouldn’t work for what I had in mind. TBF, if Decathlon finally restocked their Riverside 920 Adventure I’d just go for that (and maybe their rack).

steelkona
    Free Member

I’ll measure mine tonight

steelkona
    Free Member

Measurements are approx until I can drag the beast out. Distance laterally between top seat stay lugs (approx) 90mm.
    Laterally between lower lugs (approx) 110mm.
    Distance between the 2 fittings on the stay 115mm.
    I took photos then couldn’t upload the buggas sorry.
    The rack design or it’s attachment points are prone to causing frame cracking. I’ve read that on the latest versions welded lugs are used throughout rather than just on the upper mounting points. There’s a rack mod which uses vertical bontrager rack legs to spread the weight more.

steelkona
    Free Member

The other thing about the rear rack is its designed to hold Trek slings. I don’t know if they come with the rear rack. They’re really good and match the fixing points of the rack. The top section looks as if it can hold a trunk bag but doesn’t brilliantly. It seems to be better just strapping an object straight to it.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Thanks Steelkona – top man! I’d read about some frame issues on the 1120, so interesting to hear some may be rack-related. The rack can (apparently) be preordered for £90 but looks like the slings are a further £60-70 each. May be a bit of a worry about warranty issues if fitted to a non-Trek frame though…

scotroutes

110mm wouldn’t be enough for a proper Fat tyre, so I’m out. I like the idea though. I wonder if it would be possible to get someone to build one for a custom Ti frame.

steelkona
    Free Member

It’s only designed to run a 29×3.0. A 3.25 duro crux at a push. It’s not a fat bike.

steelkona
    Free Member

Also it’s not really a Stache with racks. The stays are 20mm longer and the head angle is approx 1-2° steeper and some reach differences. Very similar visually side by side though. Still a good bike. I use mine on trails I used to ride full suss on. It’s very capable.

steelkona
    Free Member

Personally I don’t think the rear rack is anything too special. It’s the front that’s really good. That JCB style scoop that bolts into the carbon fork and then combined with the fork leg mounts, some salsa HD cages complete the front end.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trek 1120 owners – rear rack?’ is closed to new replies.