Home Forums Chat Forum Trailer number plates and the law

• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by wors.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Trailer number plates and the law
  • Shakey
    Free Member

Firstly, is it illegal to have different plates on a trailer and your car even if your car number plate can still be seen?

Secondly, will a hand written number plate do or is this still illegal?

TooTall
    Free Member

Numberplate must match. Numberplate must conform to British Standards.

Saying that, I see so many people not doing the above I do wonder. If you're unlucky, you'll get busted.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

exactly what he said, we once did 300 miles before realising we had the wrong plates on the boat.

ibis
    Free Member

No Feds on the roads these days!
    Just make sure you dont get flashed with a speed camera (that seemS to be the only way to get caught for any motoring offense these days).
    P.S
    if you do put a plate on the trailer make sure you badly space it to, to make it look like a private plate (even tough its not one)
    I love that it looks so cool.
    😛

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Low risk, but possible you'd get done.

mattsccm
    Free Member

number plates a number plate. Laws are the same for all. But I don't think there is any rule stopping you showing others as well. Eg if you use more than one vehicle. did try to find out a while back but even Plod couldn't help me.

Pigface
    Free Member

Have spent years hauling trailers full of bikes around, I am ashamed to admit that I cant remember when the trailer plate matched the car or van. Consider it a low risk activity. 😳

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I've been driving around for the last year almost every weekend with an electrical tape number plate on my board for my bike rack.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Can get cheapish number plates via ebay as "show plates" without need to produce V5 – illegal but can be easier than the eejits at Halfrauds getting the number wrong – which they usually do for me!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I used fleabay and got a plate for a fiver. No one could tell it's 'illegal' as it's all correct and how it should be. Looks way better than my old yellow plastic and magic marker effort lol.

Plus the chap who made it has his past code on it as per the new rules etc.

tthew

Solution for me is to take the plate off the car and zip tie it to the carrier, (I borrow my dad's if I had my own I would get one)

Supertackysteve
    Free Member

i've got a pendle rack and bought a legal plate for it from a local motor factors for £4.80 +vat so i cant see why you wouldn't bother getting one really. once they pull you you're open to them scouring your car for possible defects on top of any fine or timewasting producer you may get. imho anyway !

wors

heres the official line[/url]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Trailer number plates and the law’ is closed to new replies.